Hysterectomy dates Apr 02-Apr 09,2007 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Apr 02-Apr 09,2007 Hysterectomy dates Apr 02-Apr 09,2007

Unread 04-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Hysterectomy dates Apr 02-Apr 09,2007

Hi, Everybody!
My vaginal hyster with lap was April 3rd. I'm home now and all went well. I was very frightened but the hospital staff was excellent and soothed my fears. I remember being wheeled into the OR and then remember being wheeled into my room. I was really glad to see my husband's face!!Doc said that everything went well and that he preserved my ovaries as I had asked him to do. He really wanted to take them, but they were healthly. I had fibroids, adenomyoisis and endometriosis. I've had virtually no pain, just "fullness" and some cramping. The worst part was getting up after the catheter came out. I was quite whoozy.
Anyway, thanks for your support. I'm doing well but tire easily. RacerRN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2007, 02:45 PM

Glad to hear you guys are doing pretty good. Yeah the BM isnt fun but I felt sooo much better. the gas pains will improve with walking. dont over do it and let everyone else do things around the house. I watched alot of movies and slept alot. I will be 5 weeks out on Monday, and feeling pretty good, I still get tired and Im going back to work on Tues. Luckily my boss is really cool and job is flexible. I already informed them I will be working short days for the first week. Good luck to you all and keep posting.
Unread 04-06-2007, 03:15 PM

Just received my Swelly Belly band. Didn't soak it yet, but getting ready to give it a try. Today marks 1 week since my operation. Was supposed to get staples out today, but am waiting till Monday. Does anyone know...does it hurt to get the staples removed? My cut is verticle. Little by little it feels like my insides are figuring out where to go!
TMOL: You are really lucky to get sick leave. I work for myself, so was back at my desk typing orders, on the phone etc. 3 days post-op!
Tiring, but in a way, it took my mind off myself a little!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2007, 04:53 PM
first bm

LoriCx3
I took over the counter senekot and drank a lot of water. You will feel much better after everything gets moving.
For anyone that has to get staples removed- it didn't hurt at all
Unread 04-06-2007, 05:23 PM

Thanks LoriCx3
The staples are so ugly! Can't wait for them to be gone! Did you take a pain killer before you went to the doctor's office? Do they use pliers?
Seriously, I would rather know what to expect! Thank you!!
Unread 04-06-2007, 05:55 PM

groovydiva, It feels like a pinch thats all, It is bothersome but just for a minute, taking a pain pill before your appointment wont hurt a thing.
You will feel better when they are out.
Unread 04-06-2007, 06:31 PM

Hello Sisters, My surgery was April 3rd. It was supposed to take about 1 1/2 hours and ended up taking about 3 hours. I remember being wheeled to the OR and literally only a few seconds of what happened before the surgery was started. I went in with one iv and came out with numerous pokes and 2 iv's. I have very small veins. I do not remember being in the recovery room, but I woke up in "my room".... family & friends said I kept saying "I need to pee", and "I am gonna get out of bed and go!" well by the time I really woke up it was going on late afternoon. I thought I would be prompted to get out of bed and walk, which I wasn't. I hardly remember seeing my Dr. the next morning. But she did say there was no complications, it just took longer than expected. The morphine made me puke, so I quit using it early... I wasn't really allowed to eat, just jello, pudding, ice cream, sherbet. I had trouble making bowel sounds so they were reluctant to let me go home....in the afternoon my blood pressure went higher than the high normal for me so they decided to keep me longer....I went walking off & on and finally the nurses could detect faint bowel sounds....I tried to get them to let me eat real food, but they said no. I got to head home around 9:00 p.m. the day after surgery, and it had turned cold! I am doing well, much better than I ever thought. I just keep thinking I do not have to battle another peroid. I am sore and somewhat stiff especially after sitting for awhile, but if I get up slowly and take my time I can stay up and walk for quite awhile. The pain feels alot like the pain after delivering my three children and they were worth it. I figure this will be too, I don't have to worry about my periods.....when/where/how long. I think my hair even looks better. I would lose more with each period. Goodbye . The Dr. said my Uterus was quite enlarged, I am not sure how much, (I Will ask again at post op visit) it was full of fibroids, and really needed to be removed. My ovaries looked good and I got to keep both of them. I finally had a bowel movement this a.m. the stool softener the Dr. prescribed really helped and it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. I am feeling so good so far about everything. My pathology report came back normal today too! I hope you all recover quickly! s to all of you and let your helpers take care of you so you can recover quickly!
Unread 04-07-2007, 12:28 AM

April 2nd, 4 days post op. My surgery was something of a surprise for us. We were called on Sunday and told to be in surgery Monday morning. We signed consent forms for several different surgeries because the doc wasn't sure whate she'd find when she got inside. Ended up with a LAVH + R tube removal, but kept both ovaries (insert cheering here)

I recall a mask over my face and a brief second of thinking "Oh god, don't strap my arm down!" then I woke up being wheeled down the hall. I looked up and my DH was smiling down at me, I promptly puked. lol

I was sick for several hours. Lemme tell ya, this was a billion times worse than childbirth! Throwing up with stitches is NOT fun. I'm not sure if it was the antibiotic or the Morphine that made me sick, but it was really awful. I slept a lot, waking up every 8 - 10 minutes to hit my morphine button and then slip back into sleep. Was nice to open my eyes several times in the following hours to see my DH by my bedside playing with my laptop and eating beef jerky.... hehe, he's so cute. He almost jumped out of the chair with this huge grin every time I opened my eyes.

By 6 the next morning I was feeling chipper and happy and healthy. I got up, walked around (with an old-man shuffle, but I was walking gosh-darnit!) I ate real food, passed gas (I'm so sorry about that, room mates! lol) got a rumbly tummy, and a beautiful discharge a little more than 24 hours post-op! They'd said I should stay for three days. HA! Optycal is stubborn! I had a science fair to attend for my little girls *giggle*

I've actually not felt too bad since coming home. I keep waiting for all these horrible side effects and terrible pains, keep worrying that something bad is going to happen.... but I keep getting surprised with how.... good I feel. I just know the big nasty is coming and it's gonna knock me on my butt!

I'm a little sore, but nothing I can't ignore. When I sneeze (I have horrible allergies!) it feels pretty icky, but it passes. I only have pain when I'm shifting in bed or going from sitting to standing. And I'm pooping like a pro thanks to my stool softeners (OMG I can't believe I'm saying that to a bunch of strangers on the internet! lol) My husband is buzzing around me all time telling me to stop reaching for stuff and to stop walking around and stop this and that.... I wanna shake him and make him relax, but he'd get on me about the exertion that takes too.... bless his heart =D

My biggest issue at this point is a fever (100 - 101.6 ish) which just popped up today, and my own stubbornness. My three laparoscopic incisions are in three different stages of healing, one of which has me slightly worried... it's itchy and sort of swollen while the others are flat (no stitches, just glue.) My belly looks like I was beaten with a freaking stick for three hours, all blue and green and this sickly yellow where the bruises are starting to clear.

And why didn't anyone warn me about the dreaded SWELLY BELLY? I look 5 months pregnant =( Wish I'd found this site before the surgery.

Overall, I feel okay. If I can keep telling myself to take it easy and let my sweetie-pie spoil me, I should survive this, no problem!
Unread 04-07-2007, 06:08 AM

Hi Sisters, I am home! Came home yesterday. Surgery was 3 hours long because of endo, lots of it. The mass we were afraid was cancer was really a huge glob of endo that the Dr. described as tar. Even she was grossed out! LOL I had many kinks in my bowel and she doesn't know how I even had BM's it was so bad. The best news, NO CANCER! I still have to get all my path, but the places they suspected might be cancer were not. I remember my pre op, I remember being given Versed. I asked that nothing be done to me until I was out. I remember moving over the the narrow OR table and that is. Then I remember the recovery room, I dropped a cup of ice chips and I think I apologized 100 times! Dh came in to recovery for a bit. Then I was wheeled to my room and my boys say I was pretty funny to talk to. I was really out of it. I got to my room at 6PM and at 3AM I was asking to go for a walk. Had a little pain with gas but it comes and goes. The nurses were impressed with my progress. By the time they changed shifts yesterday morning I was dressed and packed and ready to go. I was discharged at 1 PM yesterday. Had a good nights sleep in my own bed. It is hard to sit up right and my lower back hurts all the time. They had to give me Demoral in the recovery room for that as I was in so much pain. It still aches but I know will get better with time. My incision hurts a good deal if I do too much or let my meds wear off. I am not to the "I'm so glad I did this" part yet but I hope it is coming soon.

I couldn't have done this without this site. I mentioned this site to every nurse and Dr. that took care of me. Everyone commented on how prepared I was and I knew what to expect. I did have excellent care and only 1 nurse that was a little uptight, but she took that out on other nurses, not me! DH heard them arguing out at the station, but they were all very caring and helpful to me.

Glad to be on the other side and will look forward to chatting with all my other post op sisters!

Sandra
Unread 04-07-2007, 01:46 PM

Hi, I'm new here. Had TAH on 4/3 and home on 4/5. I was in lots of pain just after the surgery, but within a couple of hours and some morphine I was doing ok. Up and walking (just to the bathroom, and down the hall a couple of doors) on the next day. Didn't have any problem urinating or relieving gas. Still haven't had B/M. I'm still walking and taking Milk of Mag. and eating high fiber, drinking lots of water and grape juice. God bless, and hope everyone is doing well (or at least continuing to get better).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register