Hysterectomy dates Apr 02-Apr 09,2007 - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Apr 02-Apr 09,2007 Hysterectomy dates Apr 02-Apr 09,2007

Unread 04-08-2007, 07:33 AM
Hysterectomy dates Apr 02-Apr 09,2007

I went in and had my surgery on Thursday April 5th. I had a LAVH with BSO and TOT Sling. Surgery took just shy of 3 hours. I felt pretty good immediately afterwards, or so I thought. About an hour and a half after I awoke from surgery I wanted to get up and attempt to go to the bathroom. My partner and the nurse warned me it was too soon, but I am stubborn and insisted. I took about two steps and next thing I remember they had me back laying in the bed asking me if I was ok. LOL
I had concerns with taking pain meds after surgery due to problems that my sister and father have had in the past, so I requested only Motrin for pain. I did fine, until they started giving me the milk of magnesia and colace. Major gas pains...Ugghh! I was released from the hospital on Friday April 6th in the afternoon and had my first BM shortly after getting home..what a relief! I feel pretty good most of the time, but I think I may have overdone it a little yesterday. I went to the grocery store shopping and although I didn't carry groceries or anything, I think I may have done a little too much walking because I was quite sore last night. Feeling pretty good thing morning, no motrin since around 7 pm last night...so far so good. I haven't had any hot flashes yet- kinda wondering if they are going to hit at any moment or if I may have gotten lucky. I am 39 years old, and not taking any HRT. Today is Easter Sunday, and I am going over to my moms for Easter dinner. I think I will be careful what I eat as gas pains can still be uncomfortable. I hope everyone has a wonderful day!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2007, 12:17 PM

Hi all! I had my surgery on the 5th and came home on the afternoon of the 7th (TVH and sling). I stayed the second night basically because my bladder was not very cooperative. It's getting better though and is the only area I still have to work at. No serious issues with gas or bm.

I have a post-op dr. appt. at 2 and 6 weeks, with a full physical with my general dr. at 4 weeks.

I'm surprised at how well I feel. I'm on Motrin only at this time. Cheers!
Unread 04-08-2007, 01:58 PM

Well 5 days post op after TAH (kept one ovary), and I am taking it easy today, for real. I felt so good on day 3 post op that I walked to the mailbox and back and ate whatever I wanted. I think that was a mistake. 4 days post op I rested more but my sis-in-law and niece came over and I helped dye easter eggs. I thought I was taking it easy but I guess not enough. I woke up at 4AM and just felt dehydrated, abdominal pain, and generally yucky. So I am off my feet today, drinking lots of water, eating better, etc. etc. I have some bruising at the incision area, general abdominal numbness, incision pain, and fatigue. I can not wait to get up and move around more. Lots of people keep telling my to enjoy it and soak it up but it's just not my nature. Oh well, time for another nap. :timeup:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2007, 06:40 PM
6 Days Post-Op

Hello all! I am finally posting since having lost power for 3 days due to a late spring snowstorm. We had no power from late Wednesday night until Saturday morning. I had been discharged from the "castle" Wednesday morning. So, from the start, here goes:

I arrived at the castle at 6:00 Monday morning, April 2nd, for an 8:00 a.m. TAH with A&P repairs. I was well-prepared for my surgery thanks in a big way to the hyster sisters forums! I had requested some meds for anxiety once I arrived at the castle, but ended up waiting until just minutes before my surgery to get them. I don't know what they gave me, but I barely remember being wheeled into the operating room. The next time I opened my eyes, I was in recovery, and it was all done. I was given morphine for pain, but was just so drowsy, I don't remember much. I woke up when I arrived in my room, and I remember asking to be rolled onto my side because I thought it would help ease the pain. It really didn't, and I managed to roll onto my back again. DH arrived soon after that, and I remember spending the rest of that day sleeping most of the time, and opening my eyes occasionally to see DH, DS and his wife, and my little grandson. But I wasn't very good company because I kept dosing off. I remember having lunch (jello, broth, etc.) brought to me, but I didn't touch it. I also did not have any interest in the same brought for supper. I drank ice water, munched on ice chips, and slept. By midnight, I woke up and felt like I should get up. I felt a lot of pressure in my bladder, and mentioned it to the nurse, who moved the hoses around to help it drain. Once that was relieved, I asked to sit up and try to stand, but could only stand for a minute before I started feeling whoozie. Once that passed, I asked for more ice water and a little jello. Then back to sleep. The next morning, my head was much more clear, and I was awake and alert by 6:00. My catheter was removed, and I was able to stand and walk to the restroom and able to pass urine. Whew! I was put on solid food, and ordered a nice breakfast, which I was hungry for. Later that morning, my IV was removed, and I was up and walking the hallway. Then back to bed for a nice nap before lunch. My doctor came in and went over the details of my surgery: grapefruit sized uterus with numerous fibroids and a lot of scar tissue from 2 c-sections were removed along with my cervix. I kept both ovaries. The abdominal incision replaced my old c-section scars and was closed with sutures and steri-strips. And I had an On-Q pain relief system hooked up to my incision. I was doing well until later that afternoon when I developed some bleeding from the On-Q system. It wasn't until after 9:00 that night that they finally removed it, which was painless. The next morning I was discharged. The drive home was difficult. I just felt unsettled, and the jogging suit I brought was a little uncomfortable on my swollen tummy. I used a pillow between me and the seat belt. Once home, I crawled into the bed I set up in the living room, and watched some movies while DH puttered around the house, doing the best pamper-the-princess job in the world. How lucky I am to have a man like him in my life! That evening, my girlfriend dropped by with a huge pan of lasagna for us. Later that night, the snowstorm hit, and we lost power. DH got up early, cleared the driveway with the snowblower, drove to town for some coffee and to survey the damage in the neighborhood. Several trees had lost branches and power lines were down everywhere. Crews were out near our house later that afternoon, but power was not restored. We camped out again all day Friday with no power. This was definitely a challenge to my well-planned recovery! But we got through it, and by Saturday morning, we cheered when the power crews showed up in front of our house and got us hooked up again!

So far, my recovery progress has been good. I walk around the house several times a day, and have ventured outside a few times as well. I try to drink as much as possible, too. My swelly belly gets a tiny bit smaller every day, although I do feel more fullness at the end of the day. The gas pains seem to hit mostly in the evening. I described them to my DH like this: Regular gas is round like a bubble so it passes through easily, and it knows the way out. Surgical gas is shaped like a star, and it doesn't know how to get out, so it slams into your intestinal walls with a force that can lift you right off the bed. He gets it.

This site has been a godsend to me, and I am so grateful for all the information and support that is available! Thank you to everyone for being there for me!
Unread 04-09-2007, 10:21 AM
How is Everyone Today?

Day 5 for me and I am feeling okay, except that I think I am getting a cold. I have a scratchy throat and have coughed a few times (wow, does that hurt). The day before my surgery my husband broke his foot and is in a cast. My two teen daughters have been wonderful and are taking care of the house and waiting on us. Only day 5 and I am tired of walking, drinking water and laying around. Thank goodness for this forum. Rest lots and have a great day.
Unread 04-09-2007, 11:18 AM

YIPEE! Got my staples out this morning! I was really worried about it. Everyone said it didn't hurt, but until I went through it, I was sceptical. It was a little pinchy for some, but a few of them I didn't even feel at all. The doc. put a few steri-strips on and sent me on my way for two more weeks. Nine days post-op, and feeling pretty good!
Unread 04-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Day 6 Post Op TAH

Day 6 Post Op with my TAH. I notice when it's time to take my pain meds! Every 6 hours my stomache gets really heavy and a deep pain starts to grow. My incision looks good on one side but not as good on the other side. I keeping a close watch on my temp and the incision. I received some traumatic news last night and my family is trying to keep me calm and telling me to concentrate on getting well but it's just hard. I was quite depressed when I woke up today and I am trying hard to take it easy. Crying and coughing are hard and I just don't need the added stress right now, but that's life. I have not cried or coughed today and I did have a somewhat normal BM without the use of any product. Small steps. Ok, well no crying, till just now. I have a feeling this surgery is changing me in more ways then just removing a few pieces.
Unread 04-09-2007, 12:14 PM

I know that things are tough right now without the added stresses of 'life'. Keep your head up, concentrate on your healing, and remember that people are pulling for you! God Bless. Lori <><
Unread 04-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Whoa! What a Ride!

LAVH plus ovaries. Surgery was Friday at 2:30; home Saturday at 11 AM. This site is an absolute Godsend. I had no shocks, no surprises, and I am so far ahead of the curve. Doc said my uterus was much larger than he expected, so that he had to take it out in pieces. His hands indicated basketball-sized. When it came time to pee, I just decided to sit there until I was sure my bladder was empty. Old visualization trick, "stand in a slow-moving elevator and relax your abdominal wall as you feel the elevator descend." It worked. I felt like an over-achieving toddler when the nurses ooh-ed and ahh-ed. No catheter at home with me! As for pain, I joked about being Pioneer Woman, but ****! I think I am! I hit the morphine twice during Friday night, and once in the morning before they took the catheter and the IV and the packing. I took a Percocet when I came home, in anticipation of settling pains. Since then, I've taken two Motrin 800's.
No problems sitting, walking, or getting around. I sit up for two hours, lie down for 20 minutes. If I fall asleep, good for me; but if I don't fall asleep, I'm back up. I can't believe my good luck so far.
Thanks for all the info and support, systers.
Unread 04-10-2007, 03:27 PM
No more staples

Day 6 and I got the staples out. It feels so much better to have them gone. My Dr. also okayed me to drive as soon as I feel up to it. I'll wait another few days. I can't believe how well my recovery is going. Hope everyone is resting, walking and enjoying their water.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register