How old is everyone? - Page 16 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How old is everyone? How old is everyone?

Unread 04-22-2007, 01:48 AM
How old is everyone?

I am now close on 59. I have 2 sons of 18 and 22.
I think I started having symptoms of menopause in my mid to late 40s.
I thought I was going crazy! Anxiety attacks I couldn't believe, night sweats that left me drenched and exhausted. And of course I didn't sleep well. I found it hard to get out and run early in the morning as I had. I lost a great release and pleasure there.
I missed my first mammograms and when I finally did KNEW I had breast cancer. Tamoxifen was my follow up to surgery, chemo and radiation. It also over time caused massive polyps to develop in my endometrial lining. I couldn't understand why when I changed from this drug to Arimidex I started bleeding. Ensuring that I didn't leave this little number too late I had the checkups and D & C and though I was told everything was fine was told a month later just before last Xmas that I should have a hysterectomy to be on the safe side. There is no way to monitor endometrial cancer. So I had everything removed.
So my symptoms now are just a continuation of those I had previously.
I no longer have such severe panic attacks and the night sweats are gone. But I have come over all hot and unnecessary at the oddest times still. I am undergoing counselling for anxiety and depression but that is a life long problem that had been exacerbated by the earlier stronger menopause symptoms.
Anyway the way I look at it is I only have my right boob and my appendix to worry about now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2007, 08:25 AM
How old is everyone?

Jeatho,
You shouldn't have to suffer like this. There are medications that can help. I know there are certain meds that you probably can't take because of breast cancer, but there are a lot of good antidepressants these days that really do work. Please don't take this as me trying to tell you what to do. I would never do that. But anxiety attacks and depression are treatable. I have had anxiety attacks for years and finally I gave in and had to get treatment because I was having them in my sleep. The medication made all the difference. Just my 2 cents.
Hope you feel better soon. I haven't gone through natural menopause yet and I'm 44 and they are taking everything out because of fibroids and they are also taking my gallbladder out. I just found out the pains I've been having are due to tons of stones in my gallbladder. So they are doing both surgeries tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to being thrown into surgical menopause, but I will probably try HRT for a while. It depends on how I feel afterwards.

I wish you the best.
Robin
Unread 04-22-2007, 03:34 PM
How old is everyone?

Thank you Robin!
I am on my second type of anti depressant. I've been trialling that now for a few months. It has side effects like all do. I was on full dosage of Aropax for about 5-6 years before I just couldn't cope any more and went to see my doctor. Funnily enough she suggested something she had ended up taking after psycho therapy didn't work for her!
I have deep seated problems that I usually hide/cope with by going flat out doing things and exhausting myself and of course a sense of humour. I don't think I would have survived so long if I couldn't find something to have a laugh about.
I have found it hard to hold down a job for a while because of recurrent illness which I hope has now been sorted.
While recovering from the H I took ESOL classes for Home Tutoring.
I met a lovely bunch of women there and though I was often in discomfort I would not have missed it for the world.
I met my learner recently, a young Burundian woman refugee who has not been in NZ for long.(Kind of puts things in perspective). She is 20 with a tot of 1-2 and spent 8 years prior to coming here in Tanzania. Consequently not a lot of English!
I have elderly parents who I transport to doctor's appointments and outings and stuff. (My step father is I believe terminally ill).They could get help but it makes me feel useful helping them. And cheering them up. My sense of humour gets me in and out of a lot of trouble.
Since my breast cancer I have become more assertive in many ways. What does it matter as long as I hurt no one.
I talk to complete strangers about this and that and have some fascinating conversations.
So you see I have some coping mechanisms. I am trying different meds and treatments but as I say my problems are of a very deep seated nature; lack of self esteem imbued in me in my childhood. Maybe I was born that way but sexual abuse by my father didn't help; and his constant fault finding.
I have a small job in the pipeline but I think I might have made a boo boo there. It is working with children before school. Meaning I have to be on the job by 6.45am! I managed to get a 6.30am bus a few years back when I returned to Uni to do a Graduate Diploma but I was so motivated ...finally after getting through my treatment for cancer.
Not feeling quite so motivated atm.
Anyway the point is I am now at a stage where I can try and do things to make myself feel better; am trying meds; am trying counselling. I haven't given up on life but it can be an uphill struggle. I want to learn how to make it less so.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2007, 05:21 PM
How old is everyone?

Just a thought!
I was born in South London to a Cockney father hence the rather throw away humour. It's a way of coping. You know post war working class London folk; hard life and conditions and doing the best one can.
Unread 04-22-2007, 06:48 PM
How old is everyone?

My brother in law is from London. He moved here when he married my sister. I can't remember what part of London he lived in. I think he might have lived on the outskirts of London. Sometimes I still have a difficult time understanding what he is talking about because he talks so fast, but I'm getting used to it. I love those London accents.
Unread 04-22-2007, 07:45 PM
How old is everyone?

Luvs2Quilt- Good luck tomorrow! I'll be thinking of you!!

Jeatho- I'm a bc survivor as well...throws a whole nother set of things into the mix Hope you can get everything under control soon...funny, I find that I now talk to strangers and joke much more (inappropriately sometimes, maybe??)...I guess it's all due to that!!
Unread 04-22-2007, 09:56 PM
How old is everyone?

I guess when you've been potentially as close to death (well perhaps) as we might have been some of the inhibitions drop by the wayside. And the amazing thing is a majority of people love it. Of course you are going to get the odd bod who doesn't quite 'get it' but that's their loss.
That's the up side anyway. You need plenty of it so why not go for it?
Unread 04-22-2007, 10:04 PM
How old is everyone?

survivor33 and all the other Ladies that are having surgery tomorrow,

Thank you for the good wishes and I will be thinking of everyone else who is having their surgery also. I hope everyone has an uneventful recovery.

Robin
Unread 04-30-2007, 02:05 PM
How old is everyone?

I am 41 and have 5 children and one miscarriage. I have a 20, 17, 13, 12 and 4 yr old. Had a d&c in Oct, an ablasion attempt in Jan 07, and then the hysterectomy March 6th. And feeling so much better finally.
Unread 07-07-2007, 02:47 AM
How old is everyone?

I am 26 with two children, one boy and one girl. Had my TAH/BSO when I was 22, less than a year after my second C-section. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register