shower chair or donut pillow needed??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

shower chair or donut pillow needed??? shower chair or donut pillow needed???

Unread 04-05-2007, 09:32 AM
shower chair or donut pillow needed???

Just curious how many of you bought these items and found them useful when you arrived home?

And if there was any other devices that made at home living more helpful during recoevery?

I LOVE my bathes and know I won't be allowed to take them for How long??

anyways was curious if anyone found the shower chair useful or a waste of money...

Same as the donut pillow, I was told my some that they didn't have any trouble sitting but they didn't have the TAH so if anyone knows if I will benefit from this item please let me know thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2007, 09:42 AM

I had an abdominal...never have needed a doughnut.

I, too, am a bath person. I miss my baths but don't have any idea when I can take one. I go for a 4 week post-op and will ask then. As far as the shower chair goes, I'd say the first few times you shower it's difficult...strenuous activity right after an abdominal. Two weeks out, I sometimes sit on the side of the tub (we have a garden tub) and let the water hit me if I get tired.

So depending on how long you'd like to be in the shower, the shower chair may help or it might be something you'd use a couple times then put away.
Unread 04-05-2007, 10:37 AM

SweetieCarie, I did not use either. I too love my baths with some nice bath crystals, but have not been advised I can take baths as of yet.
The one thing I did use at first was a very squishy comfy small pillow to hold on my tummy at first.
I also noticed allot of Sisters talking about a tummy band, I think that might of helped too, but I was not able to find one.
Zella
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2007, 12:46 PM

I had a SAH/BSO and I used the shower chair alot. I had some pain issues and I was pretty week after 5 days in the hospital. It felt wonderful to be able to sit in the shower and take my time. I didn't need the donut pillow. My daughter bought my chair at Target. Hope all is well with you.
Unread 04-05-2007, 01:14 PM

I bought a gripper-thing and never needed it. Getting in and out of bed wasn't as easy as normal, but I just took it slow. Squatting on the toilet was more difficult. I think it depends on your age, and how agile and heavy you are. I am flexible, so it wasn't as diffficult as I thought it would be. The hospital is where I needed help to go to the bathroom, shower, etc., because I had some serious complications and was there for 8 days. And when I was released I was allowed to bathe without soap immediately. I was just told not to make it too hot, especially on pain meds, and to have someone there to check on me and help me out.
Unread 04-05-2007, 02:35 PM

I was fine taking my shower from the first one in the hospital about two days after surgery and even at home.

It's personal choice of course, but really, unless you have dizziness issues or aren't strong enough to stand for 10 minutes, I really wouldn't bother buying a shower chair.

Only time I used a pillow was to protect me from my dog who likes to jump...but she knew something wasn't right with me and was a very good little girl.

I found that moving my nightstand out about two feet from the wall next to my bed, gave me stability to push myself up off the bed with. Some use a sturdy chair.

Good luck!
Unread 04-05-2007, 02:46 PM

The shower chair was a must for me. Or even a plastic lawn chair. You will see, if you have an abdominal, showers really take a lot out of you.

I never needed a donut; however, if you can get a "grabber" that would be a good thing.

Take care.
Unread 04-05-2007, 02:49 PM

I had a TAH/BSO on jan 16th this year..I have a shower chair and its came in very handy for me ! WE still use it and i sit and shave my legs with it. Its handy when you have a bad back too!.didnt need a doughnut pillow with a TAH.. As I didnt have any bottom repair work done...but a small travel sized pillow for holding against the tummy when walking caughing, laughing, sneezing and in the car(under the seat belt) was used alot!Still is at times...comes inhandy with my fur babies want to get on my lap or jump on me in bed.. or my grandbabies..my tummy is still very tender after all this time....good luck!!!
Unread 04-05-2007, 02:50 PM

I had a TAH/BSO on March 30th..... but before the operation I considered buying a shower chair. I never did.... I think because I took a shower while still in the hospital and it was easier then I thought. I have bars in my shower at home, so it worked out. To be honest, I don't think I'd want to sit up while showering - sitting up actually hurt more than standing up for me.

Hope this helps...
Unread 04-05-2007, 08:15 PM

I borrowed a chair and used for the first week. I had LAVH but had repair work done to my bottom. Good Luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register