? for those seeing DR for joint pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

? for those seeing DR for joint pain ? for those seeing DR for joint pain

Unread 04-06-2007, 05:50 PM
? for those seeing DR for joint pain

For those of you who have joint pain post op, I was just wondering what your doctors have told you about it and if they've given you a diagnosis. I am seeing my regular DR. on Monday for joint pain. It started in my knees, but has progressed to my elbows, wrists, ankles, hips and lower back that goes halfway up around the spine. Tylenol, Advil and anti-inflammatories aren't helping.

Just curious!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2007, 01:24 AM

I have developed joint pain and overall physical fatigue since my hyst. I have an appt on the 16th to discuss this with my doctor. I am almost 32, and I feel like I am falling apart. I have NEVER felt so bad. I hope my doctor has some answers! I can't say much other than I am sorry you are having a hard time, and reassure you that you are not alone. I would love to hear about how your appointment goes on Monday. Good Luck!
Unread 04-07-2007, 07:27 AM

Hi Stitcher8
I know that not enough estrogen can cause the joint pain. I see you had endo so you may not be going the hrt route, but you might want to be able to identify it if that is the cause in your case.
It might be helpful to read the too much/too little estrogen, progesterone and testosterone article. It gives you a list of common symptoms experienced when the hormone levels are off.

I hope you can figure out what's causing your troubles. Keep us posted on what you find out.
's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2007, 07:42 AM

Precious Pearl, Thank you for that link. Now I am thinking that it could be lack of progesterone. I was taking Norethindrone (progestin) from about 10 days post op until 6 1/2 months post op. (That was almost a month ago.) At that time my gyn started me on Premarin and told me to stop the Norethindrone. While my knees were bothering me some before, the joint pain started really bothering me about two or three weeks ago. Now I wonder if I should be seeing the gyn instead of the general doctor. I guess I will see what the general doc says on Monday and go from there.

Thanks
Unread 04-09-2007, 09:53 AM

Hi Stitr8,

You and I seem to be in the same boat for joint pain. I see my gyne on the 18th. I'll post to let you know what she says. I'm also experiencing moodiness/crying too. Sue
Unread 04-09-2007, 02:18 PM

Stitcher8,

How did your appointment go? Hopefully you got some answers to what might be causing your pain.

I read the post with the information about lack and abundance of hormones. I have many of the symptoms of low progesterone. My doctor just called some in for me because I am on day 9 of a mini period! It should stop the bleeding. I hope that taking the progesterone helps with the achiness that I feel all over my body, and in my joints. I have been very physically fatigued and I am ready to start feeling better. I hope and pray that this is the answer!

Please let me know how your appointment went.
Unread 04-09-2007, 03:49 PM

Okay, well, I didn't get many answers today. I called my gyn this morning and asked if the joint pain could be from progesterone deficiency. He doesn't seem to think so. He said to follow up with the regular doctor (which is who I was seeing today anyway) and go from there. If I still can't get it figured out I am to call him back.

So my doctor didn't really seem to know what could be causing it. He had them draw blood for six different tests plus the CBC. I think they drew five or six tubes of blood. He is having me tested for Lupus, Rhuematoid Arthritis, gout (due to family history), strep and two different tests that test for inflammation. He said the CBC was fine, but he won't know the results from the other tests until anywhere from tomorrow till Thursday. And we will go from there.

I told him that the Tylenol, Advil and Diclofenac (anti-inflammatory) was not working. He gave me a nine day sample of Celebrex to see if that will help.

So that is where I am for now. I will post again after I here the test results.
Unread 04-18-2007, 09:44 AM

The Celebrex that the doctor gave me samples of took care of about 90 to 95% of the pain. But I took the last one last night. So after calling the doctor for the lab results twice (once last Thursday and again on Monday) with no response, I called again this morning. And told them that if necessary I would come in for an appointment TODAY. That finally got a call back from the nurse. Unfortunately it wasn't really what I wanted to hear. All of the tests that they ran were negative. No inflammation and no signs of arthritis. So of course there is no need for the Celebrex So why did it help with the pain? She said that if it is still bothering me to schedule another appointment. I told her that I didn't know if it was still bothering me because I've been taking Celebrex for the last nine days and it helped. So I won't know if it is going to bother me again (like it was before) until the Celebrex wears off. So now I am back to square one basically. The only thing I can do now is wait and see what gives. I guess my next move will be to call the GYN again if the pain comes back and tell him what tests the regular doctor did.

Frustated 1 - how did your appointment go? Did the progestrone help with the joint pain?

MariposaN312 - how did your appointment go today? Did you learn anything about your joint pain?
Unread 04-18-2007, 10:53 AM

For one year post op i had joint pain and stiffness.
three docs would not prescribe progesterone (i asked them all). they said i didn't need it since i didn't have a uterus.
so i took matters into my own hands, bought progesterone cream and VOILA! joint pain and stiffness, improves quite a bit. i have now been using the progesterone cream for about 3 weeks. it has helped me with other post-op issues as well. i also had severe endo. i have continued to take estradiol since surgery.
Unread 04-18-2007, 02:36 PM
joint pain

Hi Stitcher8,

Just got back from my yearly gyne appointment (went well) and I did mention the joint pain. Mine has been off and on in various parts of my body. She recommended that I go see my general doc as she thought it is arthritis (my knuckle and ring finger joints are swollen, sore, I work with my hands). She also asked if my Mother had arthritis and she did, the osteoarthritis. So off I will go. Good luck with finding answers and relief. I'm a little older and concerned about bone loss - taking calcium twice daily. My menopause symptoms have not been too bad and I am not taking HRT currently (both parents had cancer). I eat healthy, exercise (Jazzercise - low impact), maintain a positive attitude. But I'm not perfect.....I have my days. Hugs, Sue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register