Just how strong IS that cuff, anyway? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just how strong IS that cuff, anyway? Just how strong IS that cuff, anyway?

Unread 04-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Just how strong IS that cuff, anyway?

I have an irrational fear that having sex will rip open the vaginal cuff. In fact, we've only had sex twice so far since getting the go-ahead, and I've been sore and uncomfortable both times. I use KY for lubricant, so I know it isn't a dryness problem. In fact, I swear to god I can feel him poking at that cuff. Is this a possibility? And if so, could it rip open? The doc says all the stitches but one have been absorbed and it's all healed with no sign of infection or anything. So am I being ridiculous about thinking that my DH could poke a hole right through that thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2007, 08:33 AM
um, that makes two of us.

Hey there.... I'm only 2 wks post-op but I am NOT looking forward to getting the green light on intercourse. I'm unbelievably insecure about how strong the vaginal cuff is. I keep doing websearches on vaginal hysterectomies and vaginal cuffs but I still don't get it. What is it exactly??? How strong is it?? Is it water-tight??

-Miette
Unread 04-07-2007, 08:39 AM

okay I know this sounds dumb, but my dr. explained it to my husband like this........ It's like a sock that the end gets sewn closed. He said your vagina goes up and meets around the cervix, when the cervix is removed, then the dr sews up the sections that met at the cervix! He said it is very strong and since it is all vaginal tissue, it too will stretch with gentle proding and patience! I would assume it is water tight as it is meant to prevent things from going into your abdominal cavity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2007, 03:21 PM

I called my doctor to ask about this! I got the all clear last Wed but just can't do it! I thought there was an actual "cuff" sewn in, but he said (like the above post says) that the vagina is just sewn together at the end. Cuff is just the term used. I'm sure they thought I was an absolute moron! I asked how long the "cuff" lasted and if it would ever need to be replaced!! Well, we don't know if we don't ask!! Anyway, I'm nervous about how strong it is too and although VERY curious how sex will be....... am just scared out of my mind and not able to try it!!
Unread 04-07-2007, 04:47 PM

Mine has had no problems, and I'm not even aware that it's there. It has survived multiple encounters and not protested at all, quite the opposite. I give it an A+.

I was very scared the first time, but I soon realized that my fear was unfounded, and now I think of it as a new toy, and I'm like a little kid, I just need to play with it as much as possible.

It's all good!
Unread 04-07-2007, 04:53 PM

angeldawn, i just giggled... thanks for making me laugh.. i'm 6 weeks post op and i see dr in 1 week and i should get the go ahead for intercourse. i'm nervous-however, ready for some fun..
been a little down cause i'm going back to work next week. thanks again for making me laugh! in fact i'm still laughing..
Unread 04-07-2007, 06:31 PM

I have not had any issues with my cuff since my infection cleared. I have had sex twice. The first time was gentle and the second time was pretty wild. I had no pain or bleeding. I'm thinking these things are pretty durable.

Good luck!

Sherri

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register