Hysterectomy dates Apr 09-Apr 16,2007 - Page 12 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Apr 09-Apr 16,2007 Hysterectomy dates Apr 09-Apr 16,2007

Unread 04-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Hysterectomy dates Apr 09-Apr 16,2007

I'm on day 15. Doing okay. For those of you suffering from constipation, I am using Ducolax stool softener (not the laxative) and it has worked wonders. I go pretty much daily and it is pretty easy to go. I started with 3 a day and now I am down to 1 a day. I just don't dare forget them. Hope this helps. Don't have much problem with gas, its still there but I think it is pretty much under control. Still have pain on my left side and back. I sneezed 3 times in a row today - that HURT!! :marble: I guess work on Monday is pretty much out at this point unless there is a miraculous change in the next 2 days. Hope all of you are doing well. Hang in there - I just keep telling myself I would be starting my period about right now (or at least by Sunday) and feel like I was dying so this is MUCH better. Having an okay day. It has become gloomy and rains off and on so its kind of ** hum but I am still very happy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2007, 08:16 PM

[b]I have been to the doctors twice this week concerning my infected incision. Neither time did I see my doc. I seen stranger docs. The one today said I will need about two weeks for the dime size hole to heal above my belly button. It is still draining. I hope these docs know what they are talking about.

If only my doc would've listened to me about giving me antibiotics after my surgery......(my doc gave me no instructions on what I could and couldn't do) AND if I would have listened to the advice from the sisters on this website about over due things after surgery I know I wouldn't have a hole in my abdomen that was draining.

My classes start back May 16; I wonder if I will be well enough to attend. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Unread 04-27-2007, 08:38 PM
For those of you who need a "moving" experience

Hi,
I had a terrible time with constipation and went to the hospital where I was given an enema. The straining also made my uretha close up so I had to be recatherized for another week! Anyway, I got some relief from the enema in the hospital ER, but mostly liquid came out. It just actually seemed to wash around the edges of what was there. Long story short, it took me 4 days and the help of my DH to get the cement to pass. I mean it was like rock. Very scary and gruesome. Lots of showers. If I had it to do again I would get an old-fashioned enema bag (which finally is what worked) and begin! I ended up having MANY warm water enemas. I used liquid glycerin soap (the hospital used another mild soap-castille) or mineral oil would also work. Sounds gross, but you absolutely MUST get it out of there. You will feel so much better if you do this. Please, I know it is gross, but it is better to do this at home than to go back and forth to the ER. Be careful if you do to check with your Dr. first, to be sure that you will not undo anything that he did in the rectum. I did find that the Dr. was not really as concerned as I think he should have been. I am not kidding when I say CEMENT. I have been taking 2 colace a day and this strange slurry thing that I have to drink. I put it in fruit smoothies or hot chocolate and it is called Kemenderol, you get it over the counter at the drug store ( I think the spelling may be a little off- it is an old remedy my Dr. told me about that they often give to women who have had episiotomies that are quite severe to help keep the stool soft.) I still am having issues with my bowels, but after the stuff left I had lost almost 3.5 pounds!! No kidding!

Anyway, I am still struggling in this area, but I think if anyone is having problems going, that making sure that the bowels are eliminating properly is very important. Afterall, the RN at my Drs told me that even in the second weeks and later we are still eliminating the toxins and stuff caused by putting us under and from all of the drugs, etc. that we have put into our bodies. I was shocked, but that probably explains my fatique and limited mobility. I feel like my body just has a mind of its own, now--separate from my thinking brain. Kind of like there are two of us now!!!!

I sure have been encouraged by all of the postings!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2007, 08:39 PM

Had my hyst 4/12...stayed in the hospital till 4/15. I'm up and moving around now but still taking it very slow. I'm having lots of cramps when I need to have a BM.
Unread 04-27-2007, 08:52 PM

I find that when I am having those terrible cramps while trying to have a bm, if I take some ibuprophen (200 gel cap works for me) and also some gas x(simethecone) that it helps a lot with the pain. I have also felt it coming on and taken 2 xtra strength Tylenol (when I did not have success only pain) and returned to the potty later, successful because it was not as painful. If anyone has more suggestions I would love to hear them. It is hard to sit before a bm, too.

I am so grateful to be able to see that I am not alone with all of this stuff!! Blessings to you all!
Unread 04-27-2007, 09:07 PM

I am so sorry some of you are having so much trouble with the bathroom. I have had intestinal problems off and on for years -mostly with hemorroids so be careful not to get them on top of everything - they are MISERABLE. I really wish I had a solution because I feel so close to all of you that I hate to hear you're hurting. After all, we've all been through enough pain - we don't need anymore. I wish you all the best and hope you find a way to fix the problem.

As far as your doctor, I have had more problems with getting a doctor to care than I want to admit. For those of you that have great doctors, cherish them. I always just feel like I'm seeing cattle rustlers. Push you in and out and it really is sad.

Thank goodness for Hystersisters or I would have probably worried myself to death about some of this stuff but I have had all of you for answers and support.

When all of this recovery stuff is over we will all hopefully be pain free and thankful it is over.
Unread 04-28-2007, 10:40 AM

Well, I went out last night for the first time since my surgery. We went grocery shopping and had dinner out. The first store I was okay by dinner I was getting sorer. By the time we hit Walmart I was tired so DH Tom had me in one of those carts you can sit in and shop. I felt goofy but let me tell you I was grateful for it. By the the time we left Walmart I was exhausted. It felt great to get out though. I needed my pain meds to get to sleep, I hadn't taken any since day 3.
We are going out again today and tomorrow. I have to stretch those muscles, my legs felt really bad too. Tomorrow we are taking the convertible out for a ride to the lake.

I see the Dr on the 8th and I hope I can lift things again. It kills me not to be able to carry my puppy Daisy around, she really misses it too.

I hope everyone has a nice day and enjoy their weekend.

Peggy
Unread 04-28-2007, 10:54 AM

Hi everyone....I had my abdominal hysterectomy on April 13th and had to stay at the castle till Monday thanks to a fever. I had uterus and one ovary removed (it was enlarged). I have internal stitches and glued on the outside. I, like Olga, have an awesume doctor but I was his first surgery for the day so my surgery was on time 7:30 am. But unlike Olga I did shed a few tears when I left hubby....had to say goodbye to my girls at bedtime the night before because had to be at the castle at 5:30 am and my 7 yr old begged me not to go...she didn't want me to have the surgery (of my 4 girls she is the worrier). Promised her I would be ok....after leaving hubby on the way down to pre op starting thinking what if I'm not ok....I would of lied to her...caused the tears...then I chatted with the nurse taking me down and she remindeed me how awsume my doc was and then I calmed down and was fine. I needed blood as surgery started...hubby was told I didn't have enough blood. Large fibroid and many many heavy irregular periods (sometimes 2 a month), last one lasted from 29th til the 11th. I didn't not have a pain med pump..the first day I needed 3 shots for pain (demerol). Second day doc ordered pills...I used 2 and some tylenol for the fever. Third day just tylenol for the fever. Fourth day nurse convinced me to take a pill for the ride home (glad I did) but that was my last pain med....have just used some Advil here and there.

First time up was rough...moved from bed to chair....then the took out cathedar and second time up still rough trying to find that correct easy way to get up....got really hot and a little dizzy in the bathroom and the nurse got the bright idea to change my bed sheets while I was in there...which she left the room for the sheets too...I wanted back in my bed and had to wait...was ready to choke her (lol). Was much happier with my night nurse (7 pm to 7 am). Starting having gas pains too. Nurse took me for a walk in the morning and gas pains went away and it got easier to get out of bed from then on out.

Since I have been home first week just walked in the house and layed around (too much I think), I have more lower back pain than I do stomache pains. The incision site is sore no and then. I haven't had any bowel problems...first one was alittle painful but now they have been real soft not sure why since I am on Iron pills for anemia.

Second week I have gone to Church, grocery store, and yesterday I went to Walmart. Not lifting any bags of course but just getting out is nice....can't keep up with normal pace walking yet either.

Still have the swelly belly....sometimes more swelling than other days...not sure why. Think it is the days I do more but being at home mom of 4 (one of which is almost 2) it is hard to keep from doing things but my oldest is a big help when dh isn't hear.

I have a 2 week check up on Monday.
Unread 04-28-2007, 10:58 AM

Chefpeg how sad is it that we are excited about being able to go to Walmart! LOL! I went there yesterday too...we are going out for dinner tonight. I haven't been brave enough to do more that one place a day yet though.

I hope you have a nice time at the lake. Not warm enought in PA for a convertible ride yet...I'm jealous.

Misti
Unread 04-28-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistic33
Chefpeg how sad is it that we are excited about being able to go to Walmart! LOL! I went there yesterday too...we are going out for dinner tonight. I haven't been brave enough to do more that one place a day yet though.

I hope you have a nice time at the lake. Not warm enought in PA for a convertible ride yet...I'm jealous.

Misti
Hi,

It is sad that we all seem to go to Walmart for the first outing. I've read that a couple of times here, lol.

I'm in PA too. We aren't letting the top down, it's been in the garage all winter and we have to run it. It's an awesome car to drive too. I'm not ready to drive yet though.
It's suppose to be nice tomorrow, around 70, I think. Still way too cold for the top down.

Have a nice weekend,

Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register