Hysterectomy dates Apr 09-Apr 16,2007 - Page 39 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Apr 09-Apr 16,2007 Hysterectomy dates Apr 09-Apr 16,2007

Unread 05-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Hysterectomy dates Apr 09-Apr 16,2007

Hi ladies!

Jenbunn - you & I had our surgeries on the same date & we have our 6 week checks on the same date!

I'm hoping for a total release then but I did something last Thursday that may delay it. DH & I were up in our bedroom watching TV. Our 20 yr. old DS was over with his girlfriend & their puppy. The puppy had major leg surgery 2 weeks ago & isn't allowed a lot of walking, no stairs & no jumping. He was up on our bed & ran to the edge to jump off. Not thinking, I dove to grab him & pulled & landed on my left side. I was sore within minutes (pain through my whole left side & where my sling is attached to the skin in front of my pubic bone) & by Friday, it was even worse. By Friday night, I was about ready to take a Vicodin (haven't had one since the initial round for post-op pain). I might also include here that Friday was a no-option busy day for me as other DS graduated from high school that day -this didnt' help. I was able to stick to Motrin 600 mg. & heat to get me through. I stayed off my feet all day yesterday & rested & pain levels are dropping today. I did have burning in the area where they removed the cyst on my left ovary so I hope I didn't tear anything. If I did, I think it was minor. I'll let my gyn know about it on the 22nd at my 6 week check. If I hadn't done that to myself, I think I'd be getting a green light on Tuesday. Now, we'll see. I'm still on the Motrin from the episode but at least now, it's helping to the point that I'm about back to the level of comfort I was before I tried to be Super(wo)man saving the ever-in-peril animal.

My spirits are great! Hormones seem to be back under control. I just hope that these rounds of "mini menopause" don't continue. The last one somewhat coincided with when I would've been having my period. I guess if that is going to be my ovaries' reaction to this surgery, I will take the trade-off. A few days of that is better than the chronic pain, long bouts of PMS, & HORRIFIC periods I went through prior to my hys. Also, I giggle & am tickled that for Mother's Day my DH took me clothes shopping. All the bottoms (skirt, shorts, etc.) I bought were white - something I couldn't dream of doing in the past. Hee, hee! I'd like to hear how everyone who has them's 6 week checks go this week. Good luck to you all! I'm sure there will be plenty to talk about this week as we start getting released.

Blessings,
Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2007, 02:01 PM

Yes, I would imagine there will be lots of talk regarding the 6 weeks check up. My tummy still is pretty sore today as a result of yesterday and I have not done very much today. I walked for a 15 minutes and then just rest as much as possible today. I hope the soreness goes away and that by Thursday, time in which will be seeing the surgeon the all clear and permision to start work is given. Hope you are all doing well and regaining strenght faster.
Unread 05-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Emotional at Work/School

Six weeks tomorrow - been back at work 4 full days now. Tomorrow is our eighth grade graduation and I am a lead teacher - I am a wreck. We have had an emotional week anyway - had two students die - one from longstanding cancer and one from a car accident -- and then stress of end of school = who made it, who didn't - falls on me -- wow == I am having a HARD time. Kids actually saw me in tears once today. Two more days - then a teacher work day - then next week administrative meetings. Thought those were going to be a breeze - but with my mood swings - wow - I hope the estrogen starts kicking in a little better soon. I am also feeling sore, dizzy, brain FOG bigtime, will it end???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2007, 03:41 PM

Hi all!

6 weeks today & had my post-op! My gyn was thrilled with how everything has healed. She said I've healed incredibly, beautifully well. She said there is one stitch left but that won't be an issue. She did confirm what I suspected were the beginnings of a yeast infection - nothing to do with the hys. I am finishing up antibiotics for a sinus infection &, more often than not, I get one when I get put on them. I hadn't filled the diflucan script my pcp gave me so she (gyn) told me to get it done & start on them. Other than that, she gave my the big "go-ahead" (hee, hee). I can't believe that I got a yeast infection at a time like this! Oh, well... She told me 4 more weeks of mild lifting restrictions - i.e. I can lift a bit more than I have been but no heavy lifting. And, of course, if anything hurts don't do it. I don't see her again for another year. Woohoo!! Has anyone else had their 6 week check & how did it go?

Wishing all my sisters a continued, wonderful recovery!
Sue
Unread 05-22-2007, 05:10 PM

Does everyone have a 6 wk check-up? I only had a 4 wk. - don't have anything else scheduled - they didn't even say I had to come back in a year!
Unread 05-22-2007, 05:29 PM

windy - you and both had laprascopic hysterectomies - so I think the recovery is "supposed" to be 4 weeks versus 6 weeks - I had mine at 4 weeks and he made sure the cuf was good and then said no sex for two more weeks. As long as they did an internal, I think that's all they need - but I'm not the doc!
Unread 05-22-2007, 06:12 PM
6 week check

Well, had to go out of town 1 1/2 hours for my 6 week post op check today--what a waste of my time! I liked my surgeon until today.
He was on time but had obviously just come from surgery--was still dressed in his scrubs and I saw him at the hospital where I had my surgery. He does all his post op visits there.
He came in and asked how was my recovery? I said I was doing well. Told him (or tried to) about my trouble with constipation and he kind of cut me off and told me I wasn't drinking enough water. OK, fine. He DID NOT examine me at aall, not the incisions or an internal. A few weeks ago my family doc said I had a bit of infection on the cuff and prescribed me Flagyl cream, said I might need some silver nitrate on the cuff ata a later time if bleeding persisted. Told the surgeon this and he said "oh, family doctors always think cuffs are infected". He told me I was cleared for everything, including sex. I also told him I have been experiencing odd sensations in my breasts as in milk let down, except there is no milk and he looked at me funny and said he had no explanation for that. I asked if it was related to hormones and he said no, he did not touch my ovaries so that couldn't be the problem. Whole visit was about 4-5 minutes, tops.
I'm frustrated because I don't know whether the cuff is healed OK enough for sex or not. Hubby is coming home tomorrow after being away for almost a month and is going to be "happy" to see me. I missed him too but now I'm scared. All these tube sock analagies have scared me--hope the cuff is sewn well! Have had no spotting for about a week.
Anyways, I guess I expected a little more, you know? Maybe a little closure as this was a big event to me if not my surgeon! I do feel well so I guess I will just have to trust that everything is OK.
Hope everyone is having a good day!
Unread 05-22-2007, 09:01 PM

Hi ladies!

Windy - I think the post-op visits are based on the doc & what all you have done. I, too, had the LAVH but had other work done as well. Maybe that has something to do with it. At 4 weeks, I had my post-op with the urologist.

Jenn - My heart goes out to you. I'd feel the same way in your shoes. If you're not comfortable about not having a pelvic, can you see your regular gyn or family doc to get one. I'd be nervous too if I were in your shoes. Hope it's not TMI but my gyn said to use a lubricant the first time as most of us tend to be nervous. I'm sorry that you went through this today. My visit was 15-20 minutes & my gyn was very thorough in her exam & in answering my final questions. I wish that kind of experience for all of you.

Blessings,
Sue
Unread 05-23-2007, 07:08 AM

Jen- I am so sorry you had to experience that kind of post-op visit! I had the exact same experience. My doc. basically acted like he had no time for me. I felt good at the time but honestly, I don't think they even take 2 seconds to consider just how monumental this surgery is for us. I can bet you that if they had to have their "major parts" removed, they would require continual emotional and ego stroking. I have decided that from here on out, I am going to go to my primary for all questions, concerns, etc. He is much nicer, thorough and more importantly, more thoughtful. Gopod luck to you!
Unread 05-23-2007, 09:07 AM

Thanks, guys-knew I could depend on you guys for reassurance and understanding. Think I am going "lube" shopping and will tell DH we must be very careful the first time. I know he will be nervous too, and has always been very considerate in the past with my pain and female issues. I know he will be gentle and now I have to get past the fear. I may just pounce on him as soon as he walks in. He would like that!!
I may see my family doctor if I have any concerns--why drive out of town to get poo-poohed and have no questions answered? I have a good relationship with my GP. He delivered two of my girls and cared for my mother when she was dying with such compassion and adequate narcotics! I work with him too. He has been good to me. I think I will use him for any more follow-up pertaining to the surgery.
Hope to hear how all the ladies do as we are all released. Will let you know how tonight goes! (visions of torn cuffs floating in my head).
Thanks and have a great day!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register