Hysterectomy dates Apr 09-Apr 16,2007 - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Apr 09-Apr 16,2007 Hysterectomy dates Apr 09-Apr 16,2007

Unread 04-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Hi everyone

Had my LAVH/BSO on Thursday, 4/12. The surgery went well, had a morphine drip that afternoon and night. Took it out about 5 am. Took out the catheter about 6 am. Was up and walking at 9 and went home at noon. Was on percocet the first couple days, then switched to Tylenol 3. This is day 5 and I am feeling veyr good. Minor pain - going to the bathroom fine (both) and just resting because I am suppose to - feel a little guilty doing nothing because I feel so normal but I know I am still healing inside. Hope all of you have a wonderful recovery and am sooooooo happy it is over and NO MORE PAIN!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2007, 06:30 AM
Hysterectomy dates Apr 09-Apr 16,2007

Dear RobinRN,

The feelings that you are going through is very normal. To make you feel better, I am the baby of the site at 33 years old. The ovary will kick back in soon. The synthetic hormones are hard on the body. I am riding out the storm with none. I have both ovaries, but the hot flashes, insomnia, excessive crying, mood swings, and all that is crap is what happens when the uterus and ovaries are manipulated. The ovaries or ovary kind of goes into hiding mode for a week or two. It is scared that it is getting removed too. So, after about a week of two the hormones kick back in and the craziness will seem to settle down. I only know this because One: I am a midwife, and Two: I have a great GYN that sat me down prior to the surgery and told me all of this. The bleeding and clot are one of two things. One: you over did things the day before or Two: you have torn something and you need to call your MD. When I began doing more, I noticed a small increase in my discharge (pink discharge that turned brown by the next morning) but no clots. Hang in there honey!!! Keep writing and let us all know what is going on!

-D
Unread 04-18-2007, 11:50 AM

Hi, I had my LAVH on Apr 11 and I'm healing well with very little pain or discomfort. My issue is eating, bloating, and diarreah....everytime I eat anything, I feel so full and bloated and then I get cramps and have
diarreah....anyone else experiencing this? wondering if it's normal surgery recovery issues? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2007, 09:01 PM

Thanks to all of you who helped me with comments! I don't even know you and I love you. I am 90% better today, as far as emotions. HORMONES ARE GREAT!!! I am 37 and don't want to think of the idea of taking hormones at this age but for now they are my friend. (Remember, I got to keep one ovary but it is taking a nap for now)I went to the doctor today to get my stitches out (just got to see the nurse though, doc was in surgery). She reassured me that my one ovary will start working again in a few weeks, just need to use the hormones till it wakes up. I have a HUGE black bruise about 6 inches by 2 inches on my left side from the lap surgery and that is where my ovary is that I kept. I am sure my ovary is bruised if my outside is! Got the stitches out just fine. I discussed the bright red bleeding I had had and the black clot with the nurse and she said call if it isn't better by Mon. But this afternoon it has been pinkish and almost gone.
After I went to the doc I went to my youngest daughter's school to see a choir concert put on by the highschool girls. Then, the choir girls got to go out for lunch at the mall and my teenage daughter talked me into letting her go see her old friends and have lunch with them (my 15 y/o started homeschooling this year but still keeps up with her friends, she has her driving permit so she has been my driver through all this). So we went to the mall for lunch. After that I felt totally worn out. It was time for my nap! I slept almost 4 hours and woke up feeling great.
Also, I asked my nurse if my pathology reports were back and they all turned out just fine. We weren't suspecting anything but they do pathology on everything they take out. It did confirmed adenomyosis which was the cause of my heavy periods and endometriosis but nothing else.
Thanks for all your support here. I know my last few posts have been rather dreary. I don't do well when my hormones are messed with, had really bad postpartum depression both times, had to have a shot of progesterone to get through that too! But now I am feeling more like myself. Take care!

RobinRN
LAVH 4/11/07, one sleeping ovary left
age 37
Unread 04-18-2007, 09:09 PM

I have had near diarrhea too. I usually have a BM about every 3 days but since my hyst I have been going once everyday. My husband says that is not called diarrhea, it is called being normal! It just isn't normal for me. Did they give you stool softeners in the castle? They did me and I took them for 2 more days at home. The first BM I had was day 4 after surgery and I went 4 times that day! Now I am going once a day. My belly tends to be sensitive too. My doc showed me some pics taken of my uterus and ovaries. He showed me my colon, which was right there with all the female stuff. No wonder it is out of rhythm, it has been disturbed and manipulated like everything else.

RobinRN
Unread 04-18-2007, 09:16 PM

Hi all!
It took me long enough to get back on here - longer start to my recovery than I anticipated. My surgery was 3 1/4 hours & went text book according to my doc. She did find a couple "extras" when she went in. There was a cyst on my left ovary that needed to be removed (ovary was saved) plus adhesions on the upper & lower bowel from previous gall bladder & appendectomy surgery that she cleaned up. My problems came first with my lungs. I am an asthmatic & was out of the active infection phase of bronchitis but was still healing from it. My chest x-ray was clear & no wheezing so they went ahead with hys. My lungs apparently didn't like the anesthesia & I was having a hard time breathing on my own when I got out of surgery. I'm still doing 1-2 breathing treatments a day. Then, I found out 2 days ago, that the headache I've had since surgery is a spinal headache so I'm supposed to be laying down till it is gone. Fun, fun! My doc used an epidural for pain the night following surgery & I've never had one before. All things considered - I'm SO happy I did this! Today, I'd be having my monthly visitor & I would definitely be in more pain than I am right now. My pain has not been a huge issue & has been controlled well. Pathology came back yesterday & all cells are normal. The report did show adenomyosis so I was even happier that I went through with hys. Bladder sling is working great! I've had some pretty good coughing fits clearing all the junk out of my chest & I was very happily surprised that when I had them, no leaking! Yippee!! So, one day at a time, feeling better each day!

Wishing everyone a WONDERFUL recovery,
Sue
Unread 04-19-2007, 06:55 AM

I only got one stool softener while in the hospital, non
since I've been home...but the diarrhea continues...
I might call the dr today, just to see if she can suggest
anything...Thanks
Unread 04-19-2007, 07:43 AM

Hi Ladies, TAH on 4/10. Not doing too bad for 8 days post-op. Regarding the sore throat from the tube, hard candies helped me the most. I also have 2 questions: My surgeon leaves the staples in 2 weeks, I get them out on the 23rd. I understand most get sent home from the hospital with steri-strips. Anyone else have the staples in two weeks? Also, I am 2 years post menopause, and understand spotting can be expected with this procedure. Nothing heavy or clotting, but how long is the average for this spotting to last? Thanks for any help with this. Best wishes on recovery to you all.
Unread 04-19-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevjo
Hi, I had my LAVH on Apr 11 and I'm healing well with very little pain or discomfort. My issue is eating, bloating, and diarreah....everytime I eat anything, I feel so full and bloated and then I get cramps and have
diarreah....anyone else experiencing this? wondering if it's normal surgery recovery issues? Thanks!
Yes - LAVH on April 11 - for last 4 days - same as you!
Unread 04-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Progress

I had my LAVH/BSO on April 12 and the first 5 days were wonderful. Since then I have backslided a little (despite just resting and walking a little). I haven't done anything strenuous or lifted but the last couple days I have had back pain and diarreha. I don't know if that is normal or I ate something I should have - would love to know if it is normal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register