Hysterectomy dates Apr 09-Apr 16,2007 - Page 9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Apr 09-Apr 16,2007 Hysterectomy dates Apr 09-Apr 16,2007

Unread 04-23-2007, 07:41 AM
Hysterectomy dates Apr 09-Apr 16,2007

It's easy to over-do! I thought a trip to Wal-Mart (10 days post-op) would be okay. 10 minutes into the adventure, I knew better
Yesterday (Day 13) my nine cats learned to open the front door and escape...not once, but four times!!! Today, I'm paying for those little excursions...and the cats are locked into a back bedroom for the day. Looks like another day on the couch watching court tv .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2007, 08:59 PM

I have had some new pains set in. I am postop day 13. I came home from the hospital on day 2 and have had only 2 pain pills, then took over with Motrin. I had not had Motrin in days but Sat. I started having cramping. These pains have two different feelings 1) I am sure they are bladder spasms, because they increase after I urinate and 2) I STILL have lots of trapped gas! I am taking Simethicone like crazy. I am passing some gas but I am still bloated and just wish I could get it out! Since I have been having so many bladder spasms I went to my family doc (my mom works there so I have special walk-in privileges!) and did a urine test. She said there was no infection. I had a little blood in my urine but that was to be expected. My specific gravity was off though (urine too concentrated). She said I am not drinking enough water. WHAT? I am about to float away. I showed her the bottle of water in my purse at that minute. She said I needed to be drinking about 8 - 10 bottles of water a day. OUCH! I asked what is stronger than Simethicone to relieve gas and she said ---- walking. She said we just have to walk and redistribute that gas. But then again, she said I was doing too much and needed to rest more. What, walk more but rest more? I told the family that means less housework and more leisurely strolls outside. My pain is excruiciating at times. The gas pains will hit and I have to stand still and hang on to the counter till it subsides. My husband ran into his doc friend and asked him about my new pain onset and he said I am just healing. As long as I am not having increasing bleeding or fever or such the pain is just part of the healing process.

BTW - Today was my b'day and my hubby got me a cute little sassy plaque that says "The princess is in". He understands the "hystersister" lifestyle has set in! He also got me a sexy nightgown size 3x/4x, okay, I may be bloated but I normally wear a size XL!!!! I told him it was pretty but I don't think I will be wearing it to the mailbox. Not real happy about the nightgown but loved the plaque. He also got me a very pretty music/jewelry box that has a little quote about friends and plays "That's what friends are for". I guess it was very appropriate since we can only be "friends" right now anyway!!! Ha Ha!

RobinRN
Unread 04-23-2007, 09:15 PM

1hotsister - I actually got the Phenergan in the hospital (oops, I mean castle). The vein didn't start getting inflammed until a week later. My doc said Phenergan is so harsh on veins and that is what irritated it, as well as possibly some of the meds the anesthesiologist pushed during surgery. I didn't have to go the the ER though, just a phone call to the doc.

Robinrn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2007, 09:21 PM

Happy Birthday, Robin!

You're husband's gifts sound awesome! God bless our guys for trying but it seems to be an issue for them to get our sizes right sometimes. Hee, hee! It's the thought that counts!

I'm one day ahead of you post-op. Today has been my best day - first one on Motrin only. Yea!! I had a spinal headache from the epidural & was taking Vicodin as much, if not more, for it than the pain. I think my pain now is from bladder spasms. The worst one yet happened today & took my breath away when I was peeing. I actually had to stop my "business." I have my two week post-op tomorrow & will ask my gyn about it. I'm guessing that she's going to tell me I need to talk to the uro. They're actually in the same building so if that's the case, I'll take a walk down the hall & pop in there & see if I can't talk to his nurse. Gas pains only cause me minor pain now & I actually had my first BM today that didn't cause sharp pain in the surgical area as it moved through. So, hopefully in the next few days, you'll start seeing improvement.

My warmest wishes for a fantastic birthday,
Sue
Unread 04-24-2007, 12:47 AM
11 days post-op!

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hello Sisters![/FONT]

[font=Comic Sans MS]Well I am not sleeping until 3, 4, or 5 am. Nothing new. I am still taking vicodin at night to sleep in case I have pain. There's one problem though: the vicodin doesn't make me tired, it just makes me awake and pain free. I'm like a few others, I do not want to add my sleeping pills to vicodin. [FONT]

I have been able to sleep on tummy for 3 nights now. I just developed a scab on my 2 inch above the belly button insicion yesterday. Today when I got up half of it was gone. It was also seeping a little yellow discharge. I poured some peroxide on it. The peroxide made it sting and hurt worse.

My other incisions (right side, left side, and one a pelvic area) have not developed any scabs. They were all glued together and steristrips were applied after surgery. Some of the steristrips lasted until 3 days ago. I am a little concerned about my incisions healing properly and avoiding infection. I'm not a good healer.[FONT]

[size=2]I take a 2-3 hour nap everyday now. I was fighting to stay awake in the afternoon so I could sleep at night. It didn't work so now I take a nap every afternoon. I also get wore out if I do too much. I feel the consequences of my actions./[SIZE]

I am still having problems with gas pain. I take two beano before I eat my dinner every day. It helps, but the pain still is bad for a few hours. I'm wondering how long it will take for the gas pain to subside? Any one remember?

[/FONT=Comic Sans MS]I also am having some sharp pains where my right ovary used to be and where my left ovary still is and in my abdomen in general. I figure this is part of the healing process though. I am so glad I will never bleed again!!!!

OK, I have to now, DH is beckoning me to bed. He says it is time to try and get some rest.
Unread 04-24-2007, 08:13 AM

Robin, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR PRINCESS ROBIN!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!

It looks like DH really tried...at least yours over shot the sizes.. I am an Xl, too and my Dh insists on Mediums. He says he doesn't see it. But at least they are trying.

I am going to ask a silly question now...what is a bladder spasm? I have no problem in that area just with gas pains and it hurts some with the other one. Just a lot of pressure. I am curious because I feel bad for you guys but thankful I am not dealing with that one,
Unread 04-24-2007, 09:17 AM

Hello Ladies, havent been on here in awhile. Ended up back in castle for 103 fever and sick belly. They gave me 2 units of blood at my first visit after surgery and 2 more units when I went back in. Dr says I am lucky to be 3/4 tanked. (love how he words things) Went back in Sunday night came home Tuesday night. Still have sick belly all the time and a bunch of new pains but think its all part of the process. Can deal with the pain but this sick belly thing is driving me crazy! I did have diahria for a few days about the same time frame as some of my other sisters on here, just a FYI. My docs have been awesome!
I have no outside stitches! The incision is very tender and itchy but looks great considering. I will tell everyone when I was 14 I went through a car windsheild and had my whole face reconstructed with plastic surgery. I used Vitamin E oil on the scars and most people cannot even tell anything has ever been done. I am going to make a trip to the health food store this week and stock up, even though I think this incision is going to be hardley noticible anyways, better safe than sorry. I have had little to no spotting, I wouldnt even call it spotting just a harley noticible tint to very little discharge. Even with all the stuff I went through with the blood units and sick belly this has been nothing like I expected. I dont know if we all psyc'd outselves for pain so bad we were gonna feel like we were dying, so the pain wouldnt feel that bad or if it really isnt that bad LOL But either way the pain is there, but so tolerable. Even the bad gas pains and itchy aggrivating insision, I havent had anything so far that made me think OMG why did I do this. Hope everyone else is doing great! We finally have warm sunny weather so think I will sit outside again today.
Oh yeah the hot flashes have caught up with me, my neibor almost got a show yesterday, one hit and I about stripped off my clothes in the backyard! They are more often now but I go to doc on Monday so I will talk to him about it. Can anyone tell me how long these last? I did keep cervix and both overies, Im sure they are just kickin back in (which is a good thing) but I wonder how long it takes for them to get their minds back in line? lol
Everyone have a GREAT Day!
Unread 04-24-2007, 09:28 AM
I see what you mean

Perhaps I should say, I FEEL what you mean! After a pretty good recovery, (day 11 today) I had a most hard day yesterday. I thought about what I had read and realized it was one of those 2 days forward, 1 day back kinda thing. At least I hoped it was. Lots of belly pain, way high up too. I was also called from the dr's office and told that I had to have a different antibiotic for my UTI because the bacteria I had, was different than what they had hoped. Don't know exactly what they meant by that however, I switched and today, I feel 100% better. I am not sure if that was the problem or it was a coincidence. Anyhoo...........I am happy to hear everyone in their own way is getting life somewaht back to normal. On days like today, when I feel good, I get very antsy. It is all I can do to do nothing.

by the way. I have found that if I take a vicadan before bedtime, I can not sleep. You might try taking one around dinner time, 5 or 6. I try not to take them myself but yesterday, ended up taking 3!!!

But it must have been ok as I am feeling better today! And its important to do what you need to do for yourself. Mu DH is back to work this week so I am home alone now. It is VERY quiet. I am a little unnearved but it. I thought this was a dream? PS, happy birthday robin. I myself wear a XL but for some reason, (on drugs i suspect) I went on line to Coldwater Creek and ordered $200.00 worth of closing in size Large. Man, what was I thinking? I have Never done anything like that in my life. Besides all that. I can't get past this 6 month pregnancy. My DH said it looked cute and said I always was cute when I was pregnant.

Take care princesses!
Unread 04-24-2007, 09:37 AM

Just a reminder....

This thread is to report your recovery progress and not meant to be a 'chat' thread.

Please use email or PM to talk about things other than your recovery. Also, if you have a question about post op recovery, please start a *new* thread in the PostOp forum so that you will have the benefit of support from other members and not only those members who had their surgery around the same time that you did.

Unread 04-24-2007, 04:26 PM

sallymcfree....My TAH was abdominial. I have had three c-sections in the past, so I was just cut in my same incision as the c-sections. I have about an 7 inch incision going from my belly button all the way down! Fun, Fun! I am still doing well, just having a lot of trouble going to the bathroom, feeling really tired, and spending a lot of time crying ( I keep my ovaries, but my dr said that sometimes they go into shock and have some trouble getting back to business.)
I hope all is well with you, keep me posted! Thanks for checking in,
everyone's in my prayers!
Rambo72

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register