To Hyst or Not to Hyst -- that is the question! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To Hyst or Not to Hyst -- that is the question! To Hyst or Not to Hyst -- that is the question!

Unread 04-09-2007, 01:59 PM
To Hyst or Not to Hyst -- that is the question!

I signed 3 different consent papers today for laparoscopic surgery with gyn/onc. I am having my R ovary removed due to the attachment of a tumor I have nicknamed "Little Buddy" who will immediately be going off to pathology. The doc also gave me the option of having my uterus removed (I can keep my cervix if I wish) and keeping my left ovary if everything is healthy and benign. He says he can remove everything vaginally! I am shooting for a surgery date of May 18th to get this done before kids get out of school for summer vacation.

I'm not in any pain (except for my bowel issues) and that may not improve with surgery anyway. My periods are only heavy two days (he thinks from adeno.) and my cervix is pressing into my rectum from a slightly enlarged uterus but its really more of a bother than a medical issue. He also did an FSH test to see how far away from natural menopause I may be.

I would love to hear from ladies who have been in the position of having to make their own "a la carte" surgery choices as to what comes out and what stays. What did you decide? What was the outcome? and most importantly, Are you happy with your decision?

I sometimes wish I didn't have a choice because I'll have no one to blame but myself if I make the wrong choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2007, 02:38 PM

I decided to have my uterus and cervix removed. I kept both ovaries. My regular dr. was on the fence about whether I should have a hysterectomy or not. He was will to do a TAH but had concerns that may not fix my problems. I was then referred to a pelvic pain/laparoscopy clinic. This dr. recommended a hysterectomy. He felt comfortable that most of my issues would resolve with exception to my IBS. He said a hyst was not medically neccesary but probably would be within 5 years.

This brings me to the a la carte:
Hysterectomy Now or Later: Now Why put off the inevitable.
TAH with regular gyn or TLH with surgeon: TLH No brainer.
Cervix: Removed Had problems in my 20's.
Ovaries: Left that up to the dr. They looked healthy so I kept them.

Good luck with your decision and your surgery.

Sherri
Unread 04-09-2007, 05:54 PM

Thanks for your post, Sherri!

How is your IBS now? I've been a long-time sufferer but lately it's been more IBS-C instead of my usual D.

Right now I'm thinking of having this off the "menu":

LAVH

RSO (still undecided about BSO due to HRT issues)

Not sure if I should keep the cervix or have the vaginal cuff. My youngest daughter (24) who has a body piercing asked if she could get me a "vaginal cuff-link."

Gyn/onc said none of this should affect any sexual response ability. He said, "If it's good for you now, it shouldn't change after having the surgery."

What have the princesses experienced? Since the doc is a man, I'm wondering how he knows this firsthand. (His wife is an OB/GYN and still has her parts -- I asked.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2007, 06:32 PM

Hi Love2quilt,

I was 46 when I had my LSH. I kept my cervix and ovaries. I had two small hip incisions and a belly button incision. No vaginal work.

An important issue with a cervix-retaining surgery is to be a good candidate. I was a good candidate since I had normal pap smears for years and my cervix was sturdy. Also, my Dr. told me that he felt the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. There are two schools of thought ( on H.S.) on that and in my case, I am glad I kept my cervix.

I kept my ovaries since they were healthy and I wanted to go into natural menopause. My ovaries are still working great today.

In the end...do what is *best* for you.

Mary
Unread 04-09-2007, 07:26 PM

My IBS seems to be a little worse. I have never been officially diagnosed. I had a colonoscopy last year but he never mentioned a diagnosis. He removed some polyps (some bad and some good) and found some diverticulosis. I had the colonoscopy due to rectal and vaginal spasms. He never gave me an IBS diagnosis. He just told me to get another colonoscopy in 4 years. I am thinking about following up with a different gi dr.

I had my cervix removed for several reasons. I had cervical dysplasia 20+ years ago. Since it was so long ago that was not a determining factor for the dr. He said it was "dry" and that is why he recommended removing it. It would be very susceptable to negative changes. Also, it took me 2 or 3 paps every year to get a reading. Last but not least I had adeno and just wanted all of the uterus removed. I can tell you I do not notice any difference in sexual pleasure. My dr. told me the jury was still out on whether or not it affects support issues later on. He said all women that have had hysterectomies were at an increased risk for prolapse later in life. The y have not been doing LSH's long enough to tell if that helps.

Sherri

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register