TVH/BSO - piece of cake!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH/BSO - piece of cake!! TVH/BSO - piece of cake!!

Unread 05-23-2000, 08:55 PM
TVH/BSO - piece of cake!!

I wanted to post my experience for those of you who are researching the options available to you. Earlier this month I went to my regular OBGYN because of continual heavy bleeding, abdominal pain (fibroids), and heavy discharge. My OBGYN, who has a wonderful reputation recommended an abdominal hysterectomy with a bladder tack. After researching the internet, I read about vaginal hysterectomies and how much easier recovery seemed to be. Because my uterus was enlarged and there were fibroids involved I wasn't sure I was a candidate. I called my OBGYN and asked him about the possibility and he basically said that the surgery he recommended was the "gold star" surgery. That wasn't good enough for me so I talked with about every woman I came into contact with about their experiences. A friend of mine had a vaginal hysterectomy several months ago and recommended I see her doctor.

I got in to see her OBGYN and after a pelvic exam she said that she believed I could have the operation vaginally. She said since I had given birth to two children over 6 pounds she felt certain that she could take everything vaginally. She questioned me about the bladder problems and then sent me to a urologist who did some tests and determined that I did not have incontinence so a bladder tack would not help me. I was just having frequent urge from presssure which he felt would leave once I had the uterus removed because it had fallen down on the bladder. So this was good news. I decided to have my ovaries removed because I have been dealing with hot flashes for years and didn't want any chance of ovarian cancer either. So, my decisions were made. (By the way, the new OBGYN said she gave me a 90% certainty that she could do the operation vaginally but I signed an agreement that she could do it however she needed. She knew my wishes and being a young woman herself I felt she would do all she could to honor my wishes.)

I went to the hospital this past Thursday, May 18th, at 5:30 am. My surgery was at 7am. It lasted about 2 hours. I spent that night in the hospital with "drip" medicine that I could administer when I needed it. I did need it that day. The next morning she removed me from the I.V. and the "drip" medicine and also removed the cathedar. I got up and used the bathroom the first try, walked around the hospital and ate my breakfast and lunch. She said everything looked great and I could go home if I wanted. She gave me a month's supply shot of estrogen and I went home that afternoon. Amazingly, I haven't had any pain, or don't feel weak, or like I even had surgery! I am truly amazed! My husband and I walked a couple miles along the river Saturday and all has gone back to normal. I don't lift anything like the dr. recommended but I did go back to work Monday and I drive, etc. My bowels have been a little slow to return to normal and are needing a little help but that is my only complaint! I know this was the best decision I ever made and I owe it all to the terrific doctor who was willing to listen to me and do the operation without an abdominal incision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register