First Mammogram | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Breast Health

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First Mammogram First Mammogram

Unread 04-10-2007, 05:16 PM
First Mammogram

I just had my first mammogram last Wed. I am only 32, but my 38 year old sister is in treatment for estrogen positive breast cancer. They called Friday and left a message that they HAD to speak with me first thing Monday morning and left me to worry about it for two days. Monday morning find out (in a room with 29 sixth graders) that I have to have an ultrasound and a repeat mammogram on April 20th. Have been taking HRT for almost a year now, tried the patches, pills, and settled on the ring. It works wonderfully by the way.
Was wondering why the long wait and if anyone else had to wait for repeats. When I finally got things together and called back with questions was told that I have a mass in the left breast and they want to examine it further based on my family history. If the mass is still there, then they want to do a biopsy or more additional tests.
Why does it seem that I got rid of one problem to "inherit" an even bigger one?
Please share similar experiences so that I will stop "freaking out" about this. It helps to know that others have been-there-done-that and nothing was wrong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2007, 09:56 PM
First Mammogram

BrCa isn't in my family, but even without it being called back for additional mammo views and ultrasounds is not at all unusual. That seems to be the story of my annual screening mammos. I have had five biopsies total. I could not believe it when after last years screening mammo I got the report that there was no change from the previous year. I was done -- nothing more needed!!

Again, additional views, etc. are not unusual. Try not to worry -- it's too early for that. Your docs are just being cautious which is a good thing.

Mary D.
Unread 04-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Can I worry now?

I had my repeat mammogram today. Actually I think they did 4 of them, because they kept coming back for more views. Then I was shuttled into an ultrasound room and examined by a tech and the Dr. for about 20 minutes. Seems that I have a "mass" of about 1cm or larger in my left breast. They want to do a biopsy on it and I see a surgeon on Monday. To be honest, I don't remember much after the tech asked the Dr. did she see it too? I keep telling myself that it is just "fat" and nothing to worry about, but then pieces of the conversation with the nurse come back to me and I am slowly realizing that I may have a real problem here. Phrases like checking lymph nodes and surrounding tissue keep popping in my head. Do they do these things as a precaution? Am I over-reacting because of the situation with my sister? Aren't I too young to be dealing with this? What happens next? I tried to talk with my sister about what they told her, and all she did was FREAK me out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2007, 02:13 AM
First Mammogram

Hi Do you know what type of biopsy they're doing (for example, core needle biopsy, fine needle biopsy, surgical/open biopsy)? Did they mention a cyst, a fibroadenoma, or calcifications? That might provide some clue about what they are looking for (or looking to rule out ).

Try not to panic just yet. At the facility where I get my mammograms done, about 25% of women are called back for additional views after a routine mammogram; about 15-20% of those end up having a biopsy; and only about 20% of those who have a biopsy end up being diagnosed with any type of cancer. Most of the time, they are just being very careful - always better to be safe and rule out anything serious.

There are some good links with information about the different types of biopsies in our Resources directory in the Breast Health section. You might want to browse through those so you'll know what questions you want to ask the surgeon about whatever procedure he or she recommends.

I hope everything goes well and there is no problem.

s,
-Linda
Unread 04-20-2007, 12:51 PM
First Mammogram

I am just offering support. I have had two needle biopsy's and three lumpectomies.. Everything came back fine and one was right by a lymph node. I also don't have the BrCa but have very dense fibrous breasts and a family history. So, my dr.'s have been very pro-active and cautious...The unknown is always a little unnerving. Good luck!
Unread 04-20-2007, 05:28 PM
First Mammogram

The plan is to do a surgical/open with full removal of lump. They will then do a frozen section while I am still asleep. I am a little freaked because of my sister having had this just a few months ago. The situation has me really scared. I just wasn't prepared for any of this. I am POSITIVE that it will not be anything to worry about and I really thank you for listening and sharing with me!

Almost forgot, it is being called a "mass/tumor" at the moment. We looked at it on the ultrasound and the Radiologist was sure it wasn't a cyst and it doesn't have the shapes for fibroids. There is still a question of scar tissue from my reduction, but she was fairly certain that it didn't fit that either. The "mass" was over 1cm and didn't follow normal benign patterns, so she wanted to "be on the safe side". She did talk with me about a needle biopsy, but wanted to test lymph nodes and other areas prior to sending me to the surgeon but I opted for the other route instead. Would rather remove what ever it is completely and not "spot" check it for safe measures. I think that she probably told me more in those sentences than I am currently able to comprehend, but I just don't know enough about any of this and the reading scares me to death. Imagine an English teacher being afraid to Read!! Everything I read only gives worse case statistics and I still want to believe that this is just nothing...One day soon I'll pull my head out of the sand!
Unread 04-20-2007, 08:45 PM
First Mammogram

Just some support for you. I have two sisters with breast cancer and recently went through a biopsy procedure. You are right, it's so scary, but keep telling yourself this: At least if it is anything, they found it, and can get busy stopping it.
Bear in mind they hawk the heck out of me b/c of my sisters. I have to get use to that- it's not going to change. I just pray whoever does my work and reads my mamos, etc, is on the top of their game.
Stay calm.
Hugs, news

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register