Can premarin cream cause estrogen levels to rise? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can premarin cream cause estrogen levels to rise? Can premarin cream cause estrogen levels to rise?

Unread 04-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Can premarin cream cause estrogen levels to rise?

I was on Vaginal Premarin cream for atrophy (despite keeping the ovaries) for 2 full weeks and then only used it twice a week. During that time my estrogen levels went from 24 to 95. Does anyone think the estrogen cream could have bumped my levels up that much or are my ovaries finally kicking in (4 months post op, 6 months postpartum)? Thoughts? I've been on a crazy moodiness ride lately and I'm back to using the cream daily for the next 30 days. Also, my breasts /lymph node area has been sore for about 2 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2007, 12:40 AM

(((cleo1))) Premarin cream doesn't contain any of the type of estrogen (estradiol) that is typically tested, plus the dosage is very low. I don't see how it could have affected your test results.

I think it's more likely that your ovaries might be starting to work. You could find out by having an FSH test done. A low value would indicate working ovaries.

s,
-Linda
Unread 04-12-2007, 01:56 AM

It might be worth leaving off the cream for a few days to see if there is a relief in your symptoms.
Vaginal oestrogen cream definitely had systemic effects on me, including breast tenderness and soreness, particularly when I was using it every day and was also on the patch . I had all the symptoms of too much oestrogen.
If you have severe atrophy and thin tissues, it can pass into the system quite easily at the beginning, but as the tissues thicken, it is supposed not to do this...
But it could of course be that your own ovaries have woken up and as surferbabe suggests, a test could answer the question...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2007, 10:09 AM

I hope you're right and it's my ovaries finally waking up. I did have my FSH tested a month ago and it was only 7.7 so the doctor told me I was not menopausal although I have this atrophy problem and extreme moodiness. I was told the Premarin cream is definitely helping as my doctor couldn't even barely get the smallest speculum in there before and it's definitely more lubricated. However, I still have a lot of pain and wonder if the cream causes irritation as well. It's like it lubricates the area, but irritates it at the same time. She said I could try Vagifem, but then I wouldn't be able to put any cream on the outside of the vagina.
Unread 04-12-2007, 10:18 AM

Yes, I found that my cream (Ovestin) started to really irritate me. I am very sensitive there like you are. It might have been because of something in the base eg alcohol or maybe because of the sheer volume of the cream.
Anyway, I switched to Vagifem and I have found that wonderful.I am unaware of the tiny tablet in there and it definitely doesn't irritate me. I was very dry on the outside - the vulva stuck to the fingertip when touched - but I don't have a problem with that anymore. So maybe you won't feel the need to put some on the outside? I only tried that once and made my uretra and bladder go mad!
Unread 04-12-2007, 10:26 AM

Perhaps I will try the Vagifem then. My previous doctor kept telling me that my episiotomy area was injured by the birth and hysterectomy (this is after the physician's assistant misdiagnosed me with a fungal infection and then gave me cream with alcohol in it), but after a time I realized that it was just bone dry. I actually took a mirror and looked and almost had a heart attack. It was like my lips were stuck together! Did you find anything topical that worked on the outside to relieve the burning/rubbing feeling or just the Vagifem? There's on gal on this site who had a doctor tell her to use Crisco. I've always been sensitive in that area, but this irritation/burning is ridiculous! I can't even wear regular pants.
Unread 04-12-2007, 10:41 AM

Yes, my lips seemed stuck together too!! I didn't dare imagine what the inside walls must be doing.

Unfortunately,I found nothing that I could use to relieve the burning on the outside that didn't make it worse. I did rub in a bit of KY Jelly just to moisten it and was thinking of trying Vaseline, but the Vagifem seemed to do the trick from within.
Unread 04-12-2007, 10:44 AM

I've also tried KY and Vaseline without success. Was your atrophy so bad that it caused you pain while sitting? How often did you use the Vagifem? Do you still use it? Sorry for all of the questions!
Unread 04-12-2007, 10:47 AM

Yes, it did hurt whilst sitting. It still does a bit, but it is definitely getting better slowly.
I use Vagifem twice a week. I started on the cream once a night for two weeks and then went down to once /twice weekly.
Unread 04-20-2007, 06:11 PM

okay I started using the Vagifem last night and went from the Sahara Desert to the River Nile. By the end of today I had moisture leaking through my underwear. Any advice? Too much? I'm supposed to use it every night for 2 weeks. I was using the Premarin every day to every other day but only 1/4 of a gram. I still have my ovaries so I'm wondering if they've finally started working. I'm also pretty jittery, so don't know what's up with that either...could be anything I guess.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register