cervical cancer 1B1 diagnosed after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN


HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Reply

cervical cancer 1B1 diagnosed after surgery cervical cancer 1B1 diagnosed after surgery

Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 04-14-2007, 06:31 PM
cervical 1b1 diagnosed after my hysterectomy

My situation is backwards. I had a hysterectomy done for other reasons, not cervical cancer initially. They removed my uterus, ovaries, cervix and tubes. The pathology report then came back the day I was released from the hospital showing stage 1b1 cervical cancer 1.3cm horizontal extent maximum and 3mm microinvasion depth. They had me do a PET and CT the next day which showed no lymphatic node activity however the oncologist said even though that is great news, the PET and CT does not show/can't show microscopic lymph node activity if any. So, the question is do I do the radical hysterectomy he is now suggesting which will take the lymph nodes out and upper part of the vagina? He stated if I do nothing at all, no further treatment I have 92% chance in my favor, I am concerned about the 8%. He said he did not suggest chemo and radiation because of the complications it could have later in life, blood in stool, diarhea, etc. Has anyone had a similiar situation where a total hysterectomy was done and then the stage 1b or any stage cancer was found??? Help. I am leaning toward the radical hysterectomy to make the odds more than 92% however I want to get as much feedback as possible from anyone/everyone. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Unread 04-15-2007, 08:09 AM
cervical cancer 1B1 diagnosed after surgery

I don't have any experience with cervical cancer or radiation, so someone else will need to come along to answer your question. I can see how disconcerting it would be to go in for surgery for other reasons only to find out after that cancer was found. Most of us went into surgery expecting some dx of cancer and a few were delightfully surprised to hear that no cancer was found. I do hope you receive info to your satisfaction and you feel confident in your decision. You'll find the sisters here will be a great help and encouragement.

Good luck.
  #3  
Unread 04-15-2007, 11:47 AM
cervical cancer 1B1 diagnosed after surgery

I would first state that I am the worst case seniro, but I was in the exact same situation in 2002 that you are in now. Had I known then what I know now, I would have went ahead and had the upper portion of my vagina taken then, even if it ment another surgery. Because going in there later (exp. after radiation) is alot worse due to radiation (bad tissue -- I lost my bladder to that one) and scar tissue.

You can read my story Here

But I do have to say I will be 5 years in September from date of diagnosis and 4 year in August from last recurrance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Unread 04-15-2007, 12:15 PM
cervical cancer 1B1 diagnosed after surgery

I would probably err on the side of being conservitive and have the surgery. Your long term prognosis will be excellent and it will give you peace of mind. You might also want to get a second opinion. Good luck with your decision.
  #5  
Unread 04-15-2007, 08:35 PM
cervical cancer 1B1 diagnosed after surgery

HI. I am not in the exact same situation, but we both have been recently diagnosed with stage 1b1 so its similar I guess.

I had a radical hysterectomy in March. Nodes were negative as was PET scan, but my dr is advising me to have radiation and chemo also because the mass was 2.7cm, half the depth of my cervix and there was one spot where it had started to travel up the lymph duct, but was not yet to the node. I start tomorrow actually. My dr said I was borderline, but I opted to be aggressive. Do you live in a place where you can get a second opinion? Its very difficult to know what to do. I know you probably don't want the surgery, but it will bring you peace of mind.

I am so very sorry this is happening to you - to both of us. Its really difficult, but the odds are in our favor. I am like you though, even 10% seems way too high for recurrence.

I just want you to know that you are not alone. If you ever want to email feel free.

Kim

ps. my dr left my ovaries because he didn't expect me to do any further treatment after the operation. But then he went to pathology to look at the slides himself to see if there was any movement even towards the nodes and there was. Do you have a copy of your pathology report to see if it says anything like that?
  #6  
Unread 04-16-2007, 10:36 PM
cervical cancer 1B1 diagnosed after surgery

hi meowth,
I just had a rad. hyst. almost 3 weeks ago, adenocarcinoma of the cervix, stage 1b1. if you have any questions, pm me anytime.
  #7  
Unread 04-18-2007, 03:25 PM
cervical cancer 1B1 diagnosed after surgery

I had a slightly different cancer, but a similar (slightly higher) stage. Normally in these cancers they prefer NOT to do radio/chemo if they can help it - but it depends on the pathology of the margins and nodes.

The reason is, the IF there is a recurrance, they can't use radiation again, and chemo is generally only used as a booster for radiation, unless there's a recurrance. With higher stages they prefer to do the chemo and radiation but not surgery. Also the combo is pretty hard on the body as compared to one lot of treatment.

So they need to check the nodes out. As it happened, with me (and Vega I think) my margins were not clear so I had to do everything. For my circumstances I'm glad I did.
  #8  
Unread 04-18-2007, 06:05 PM
cervical cancer 1B1 diagnosed after surgery

The horizontal maximum extent was 1.3cm and 3mm depth of cervix wall. No lymphovascular invasion identified with CT and PET. Negative margins of resection. How accurate is the CT and PET? Does anyone know if they can do a lapro of the nodes instead of the radical? Has anyone with my figures done nothing, no further treatment? My husband and I had great sex before and hopefully after the radical it will be the same. Can anyone please give me there sex feedback after their radical hysterectomy?
  #9  
Unread 04-19-2007, 12:00 PM
cervical cancer 1B1 diagnosed after surgery

I just want to thank you meowth, I was a little hesitant about getting my hyst, (they found CIN 3 cells with my cone biopsy, and the doc didn't get it all out with the biopsy. ) So he gave me four options, and the one option is to have the TAH. After reading your post, it made my decision even a little easier!!

good luck!!
  #10  
Unread 04-19-2007, 03:48 PM
cervical cancer 1B1 diagnosed after surgery

hi meowth

I was a 1B1 with a 1.4 cm wide tumour, less than 50% thru cervical wall (don't know how deep that is in cms, sorry). The rad hyst was all the treatment I required. (cells were Grade 3, which was worrisome - but so far so good...)

Sex is fine, I would say same as before (good) - except I had my ovaries out too, so I do make sure to use lots of personal lubricant. You can also get your dr. to prescribe topical estrogen cream if you find things a little dry. (You may not have to worry about this if your ovaries stay in.)

Good luck!
Reply

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register




Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
From This Forum From Other Forums
12 Replies, Last Reply 08-02-2009, Started By ScooberDoober
8 Replies, Last Reply 11-10-2008, Started By DeniseOfPA
12 Replies, Last Reply 11-03-2008, Started By QAManager
10 Replies, Last Reply 05-13-2008, Started By bunkeybobo
5 Replies, Last Reply 05-04-2008, Started By rayona
2 Replies, Last Reply 01-06-2006, Started By patrice46
11 Replies, Last Reply 01-06-2005, Started By Carrie20
20 Replies, Last Reply 12-19-2004, Started By Danaka
31 Replies, Last Reply 08-30-2004, Started By known2b
1 Reply, Last Reply 07-22-2004, Started By CountessHoneyB
25 Replies, Last Reply 06-22-2004, Started By labradorian73
27 Replies, Last Reply 12-30-2003, Started By liz109
4 Replies, Last Reply 12-04-2003, Started By Grace4Misha
3 Replies, Last Reply 08-09-2003, Started By pretty-fearless
11 Replies, Last Reply 01-25-2003, Started By swolf171
9 Replies, Last Reply 01-13-2002, Started By DHoover
11 Replies, Last Reply 08-25-2001, Started By Jules
10 Replies, Last Reply 04-26-2001, Started By Delilah
1 Reply, Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives
11 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)



Advertisement

Hysterectomy News

May 18,2021

CURRENT NEWS

HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive

TODAY'S EVENTS

Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays


Request Information


I am a HysterSister

HYSTERECTOMY STORIES

Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours

FOLLOW US


Your Hysterectomy Date


CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  


$vbulletin->featuredvideos is not an array!
Advertisement


Advertisement