Hysterectomy dates Apr 16-Apr 23,2007 - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Apr 16-Apr 23,2007 Hysterectomy dates Apr 16-Apr 23,2007

Unread 04-23-2007, 07:03 AM
Hysterectomy dates Apr 16-Apr 23,2007

Hi- All the best to the ladies here. It's been really good having support & information from you. Had TVH and AP on Tuesday the 17th. Was able to pull my catheter today. Have to go to the doc at lunchtime to test my bladder, but so far getting rid of that thing feel really good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2007, 07:18 AM

My first post on this wonderful site was about the intense gas pains...labor wasn't as bad. Got good suggestions--peppermint tea, gum, walking. In the end (no pun intended) I guess you just have to wait it out. And don't expect too much too soon. I had surgery on the 17th (everything removed laparscopically), planned to return to work today and finally convinced myself I was moving too fast. I'm giving myself one more week of complete pampering and letting my body tell me when it is time to get back to normal. No matter what you had done, you had a part of you removed. We deserve to lick our wounds for as long as we think necessary. Most of all, keep involved with this amazing site.
Unread 04-23-2007, 09:49 AM
3 days post op

I had my surgery on Friday morning. Lapro assisted, kept my ovaries. They turned me loose Saturday evening after fulfilling all requirements (pee, pass gas, eat real food, manage pain). Dr said it was textbook case and went without a hitch. I was relieved as I had been warned it could be abdominal surgery if it didn't work. Worst pain was in recovery and it's only gotten better since then. Last pain killers IV was on Saturday morning and have only used the Vicodin at night. I feel pretty good, have been walking, sitting outside and generally moving about with lots of laying about in between. Mostly discomfort now and gas pain to deal with. This site was a wealth of information and has helped me prepare. Only thing that could be better than laying around, doing nothing all week is doing it on a beach in Hawaii!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2007, 11:36 AM
One Week since surgery

Hello my Sisters,

Well, it's now been a week since my surgery. Surgery was on Monday the 16th. I have been up and about (walking) each day and I must tell you...it is exhausting.

I finally moved my bowels on Saturday and it was some of the most intense pain...WOW! My hubby went out and bought for me some cherry milk of magnesia (not bad) to soften things up a bit. Felt good to finally be more regular and not feel so much pressure. Believe it or not, I have lost 8 pounds this last week, so I am quite happy about that!

I read a few planning to go back to work already. Yikes....don't rush it....this is the time to be the "pampered princess" and let all that internal healing take place. My DR said at least 6-8 weeks for me...so I am going to enjoy it as much as I can!

Hoping all are doing well and on the road to recovery!

Lisa
Unread 04-23-2007, 11:50 AM

Yes, I, too, am boondoggled when I read about some hurrying back to work. My doctor said: 4-6 weeks and that my severe anemia pre-surgery will be the wild card to determine the ultimate return. It may be a bit longer recouping all energy lost with severe anemia.

I am so thrilled to no longer be bleeding. Walks and rest are the orders--so, that is my plan for about 3-5 more weeks. No hurry, here...I want to get fully well.

Gas pains and lack of BM's have been the most difficult part of recovery so far.
Unread 04-23-2007, 04:57 PM

I agree gas pains!! I had my TAH/BSO with vertical incision on friday and the gas pains are bad. My Dr. said I had a lot of work on my intestines, they were wrapped around my uterus witch was all aheared together with adhesions and endo. so cosidering all the work I had done I feel good I even walked to the bus stop to get my son today!
Unread 04-23-2007, 05:16 PM

Day 4 at home- surgery was on the 17th. I'm better today- even went out to eat for the first time. I'm paying for overdoing it now as I am tired. Gas pains are better now, and it's not too hard to get around. Overall it's better today than it has been. Yay!!! Oh, but the Swelly Belly *****. *grin*
Unread 04-23-2007, 05:38 PM

Had abdominal surgery on the 18th/04. I kept my ovaries. I had severe bleeding on the three days before the surgery necessitating
two emergency stays. Thus I am severely anemic (68) and am exhausted. My bladder is working fine and I have moved my bowels
twice (very diarrea-like, but hey, it's a start). I am very depressed by reading that so many are thinking of going back to work. I am having nightmares, pain, coughing, and then there's the fatigue. I started taking iron today because I am so worried about it. I will try to combine it with stool softeners so things keep working. I feel I will never feel "right" again.
Unread 04-23-2007, 05:51 PM

Hi everyone. I had my TAH on 4/16. I am reading your posts and it sounds like you are all doing so much better than I am. I remember walking into the surgery suite with my IV, but I don't recall the recovery room at all. The first thing I do remember is being in my room with my family, and them showing me about the morphine button. I was released the afternoon of 4/18. I was still in considerable pain when I came home, but I was able to walk, and shower. I didn't have my first BM for nearly 5 days!!! The day after I was released I called the dr since I had a lot of pressure and more pain on my incision. The nurse asked me if the incision was red or hot. Since it was neither she told me that the pain pills were all I could have, and I needed to start to learn to wean myself off the pills. This is 4 days post op! Saturday I ended up in the ER. I woke up covered in blood and it was squirting from my incision!! The dr told me I had a blood pool (hematoma)under the incision and they were going to let it drain naturally. This is what had caused all the pressure and pain. A couple of times when he was trying to do some packing I passed out. I've had back pain, lots of presssure at the incision, slight fever, almost constant queasiness as well as migraines. I called the dr's office again this morning around 8:30am. I didn't get a response until 4:30m!! The nurse told me that if my incision wasn't hot or bright red not to worry, and was I calling AGAIN for something for pain. I was just worried that the headaches and queasiness was some sort of side effect or something. I didn't call the dr in time with my 2nd c section and ended up in the hospital with a raging infection. I spent 10 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics after they opened me back up to clean up the infection. Then I had an open air wound for nearly a year. I think I have a right to be concerned and ask questions. I go tomorrow to have my many staples removed. I really like my dr, so I hope we can get all this crap resolved.
I'm glad to hear everyone else is doing so well.
Unread 04-23-2007, 08:03 PM

I am soo tired! Today I started with the spotting and it scared the pudding out of me. I also had another interesting thing happen...just bursting into tears out of the blue. Unfortunately, the hospital called and did a home check right about that time and they had me call the Doc....who said my ovaries are in shock..my whole body is and not to worry but to keep a log. Post op is on Thursday and I'm looking forward to getting these blasted staples out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register