Bad tech, what would you do??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Breast Health

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bad tech, what would you do??? Bad tech, what would you do???

Unread 04-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Bad tech, what would you do???

I copied this from my club house but wanted to get your opinions. To give you a little background I am 29 years old. My mom was dx with stage 4 breast cancer when she was 42 and died when she was 47. Her sister couldn't come to the funeral b/c she was having a mastectomy when she was 43. Their Aunt died when she was 35 from breast cancer. In addition to that I have had a breast lump removed and well, I have very fibrous, lumpy breasts in general. I have had a mammogram every year since 2001 and sometimes an u/s mammogram. My insurance pays everytime. Here is my story from yesterday...

I showed up for my appointment at11:40am and was taken back to the ultrasound room. The u/s tech was very kind and while she was scanning my neck she asked where my lump was (breast). I told her I didn't have a lump, this was a follow up for some previous lumps, and my family history, and the lumpectomy I had 3 years ago. She said it wouldn't really help to u/s the breast if I didn't have a palpable lump so she was going to call my dr. to see if they could do a digital mammogram.

I was walked back to a dressing room where I waited for 25 minutes. Just as I was opening the door to check on what was happening the mammogram tech walked in. She said "Sign this" and threw a paper at me. I asked what it was. She said "since you are only 29 and don't need a mammogram you need to sign this stating you will pay when your insurance declines the test." I told her I didn't mind paying but that my insurance would cover it b/c it was follow up for a lump that was found previously and that my mom died of cancer at 47 and her sister had a double mastectomy at 43 and her aunt died of breast cancer at 35.

She said "the American Cancer Society only recommends a routine mammogram 10 years prior to your family members diagnosis." I said, OK that would put me at 25, now shut up and do your job. She said "excuse me" I said you heard me, shut up and do your **** job. I was sooooo mad. I told her that she was the most unprofessional woman I had ever met, that if it were four years earlier I would have been in tears the rest of the day.

Then she came over with the lead apron to protect my uterus. I said didn't you read my chart, I had a hysterectomy. She said, "you need to wear it anyway." Then I lost it. I just started bawling. I told her I was writing her manager a letter. She said "you don't even know who that is." I explained to her that my sister works for her company and that that wouldn't be a problem. Then she got all nice and wanted to show me the pictures and apologize. I am still in shock. I have a three page letter drafted. I hope they serioulsy look at it because she has no business working with women facing cancer or with a history of cancer.

Sorry for the book but I knew you girls would understand. Thank you for letting me pour my heart out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2007, 06:09 PM

You go girl. No one needs to be treated like that. Send the letter and if nothing else she should have some sort of reprimade or spoken to about her treatment of clients.
Unread 04-20-2007, 01:01 AM

I'm sorry you had such an unpleasant experience. I guess I would have had a different take on all that, though. First, while she may not have been very smooth in the way she did it, I believe the tech was doing her job. They do need to get consent any time there is the slightest doubt as to whether or not insurance will pay for a procedure. I've had to do that, and I've had breast cancer twice myself. No big deal, I just sign and get on with things.

Second, about the lead apron... it's also standard procedure to wear that regardless of whether or not you still have a uterus. The uterus is not the only thing in the abdomen worth protecting from radiation. In fact, I notice that since I've done radiation for breast cancer, techs everywhere (even at the dentist's office) are much more careful about making me wear the apron to minimize my exposure to x-rays other than as absolutely necessary, since excessive exposure can also cause cancer. So, they are doing that for our own good. It's too bad that tech didn't explain that, but then again, if a patient were swearing at me and insulting me, I might not feel comfortable engaging them in conversation either.

I really am sorry you feel you were mistreated. However, I would not recommend ever telling a medical professional (or any other adult) to "shut up and do your **** job". It's not a respectful way to treat people, and I don't like to treat people worse than I'd like them to treat me.

You didn't mention how the appointment ended. I hope you were eventually able to get your mammogram done and everything went fine.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2007, 08:52 PM

Whoa- sorry, but that was totally uncalled for. There was no reason to treat you that way. Make sure you send the letter! I am sure that isn't the way they want their patients treated. That tech needs a talking to.
Hugs, news

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register