Radiation or Chemo? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Radiation or Chemo? Radiation or Chemo?

Unread 04-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Radiation or Chemo?

I had a total hysterectomy April 4th for endometrial cancer. I was lucky and the cancer was confined to the uterus; so no radiation or chemo recommended. Is this standard for Stage 1 cancer? What are your experiences?

Connie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Radiation or Chemo?

Generally, no further treatment at Stage 1 uterine. Individual risks can play a role as well though.You didn't mention your grade. the line gets a little gray at grade B, and more-so at grade C, but most everything I have read suggests serious followups for 5 years as the main protocol at this stage. Talk to your gyn-onc! Best to you!
Unread 04-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Radiation or Chemo?

I too had uterine cancer, Stage 1A. My oncologist/gynocologist said no further treatment was needed (after my hysterectomy and lymph node removal). I was ecstatic to say the least. In fact he told me to go for my yearly regular gyno appt. which is not until Dec....
My cancer facility is rated in the top 10 in the entire country and my doc was one of the best so I very much trust his advice... ok, ok...I still thought I'd go to my regular gyno over the summer just to check in since he was the one who did a D/C, and LEEP procedure which diagnosed the cancer in the first place. Take care...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Radiation or Chemo?

Hi Connie:

It really depends. I had Stage 1b endometrial cancer but since it was a higher grade the doctors recommended radiation as well. I think that since you have questions you may wish to go back to your doctor and ask exactly what the stage and grade were (if you are not sure.) Or ask for a copy of the pathology report. Your doctor is probably following the guidelines ... it sounds like you are lucky, but it's probably a good idea to know the details for yourself. Regards, Blue
Unread 04-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Radiation or Chemo?

Hi Connie:
You are very fortunate that it was stage I, but you should ask what grade. I agree that you should request a copy of the path report. I have copies of every one of mine and went over them at length with my gyn, my onc, and my radiotherapist. I had a TAH/BSO (with lymph node removal and washings of surrounding areas/organs) on Jan. 24th for uterine cancer and my final path report (post-op) showed stage IIIC and it had metastazied in one of my right lymph nodes (my pre-op path report from a D&C on Dec. 28th showed possible stage IIB). I had no choice but to do radiation therapy and am about halfway done.
I've done a ton of research on the topic and basically everything I've read sums up what your doctor says, but any concerns you have you should definitely talk with him/her about them and don't stop asking questions until you are 100% comfortable with the responses.
And it's extremely important to keep up with your follow-up visits and testing!!
Take care. 'thia

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register