Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007 - Page 14 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007 Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007

Unread 05-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007

Just got home from a 40 mile road trip to get food. Then lugging it up the stairs, now I'm feeling it. Mind you, I'm still on driving restrictions, still on lifting restrictions...ok, I'll stop now.
I'm going to have a relaxing weekend...if it kills me! LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Every Day Is A Bit Better !!

rincess:

8 days post op today and I can feel the improvement each day. Sit to stand is getting better buit still hurts a bit. Been off pain meds since day 2 1/2 (morphine reaction)
Staples came out wednesday and now steri strips. DR says I am healing VERY good but MUSt take it easy so no relapse or problems !!!!!!!

Forest walker.......worried about you doing all that stuff !!!!Take it easy !!

Kathi
Unread 05-04-2007, 09:28 PM

It's so nice to hear most of us are feeling better every day. Went on a big outing today, to WalMart! I know the checkpoint says it's a no-no for weeks 1&2, but mine has a grocery store, and my hubby really hates WalMart. I was really good, my daughter drove the car, and I drove the cart! The store has benches scattered throughout, so I took advantage & sat often. It was so nice to get out in the fresh air again! This is my second day without any pain meds of any kind. Oh what a feeling! I'm a little pooped today after my adventure. So early to bed (ha ha) and who knows what's in store for tomorrow? Take care, all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2007, 07:47 AM

Kathim,
I know, this is just not sustainable. I'm going to end up back at the hospital if I keep this pace up. I don't think I got hurt from yesterday, just a scare though.
I'm going to try and look for help today.
Unread 05-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Finally home

Well, I am finally home from having a TAH/BSO on Monday. I did have a lot of pain but it wasn't as bad as I had imagined. They kept me an extra day because I had some mild pneumonia settling in. I came home yesterday still very sore. I tried to get comfortable in many places, the recliner, the couch and then finally the bed. I was up every 2 hours urinating, (is this normal) and didn't get much sleep. I am going to try for a shower today with some help and hopefully that will make me feel better.
Unread 05-05-2007, 05:24 PM

I got home Sunday night. The only bad day I have had was Wed. Woke up at 4am in pain and was not able to relax good until later that morning. Have tried to go longer between meds but could only make 7 hrs. Todya is good though I took them at 7:15 am and it is almost 5:30 pm and I am still doing good. Thursday evening I walked out to the horse pens when my DH went to feed and sat and watched. I did pet them some. Yesterday I had my bottle of water and dropped it on the floor and my 33 yr old DS picked it up and said "Why are you holding this?" DH said it was ok.
I have been taking it really easy and I do nothing but eat, sleep, walk ect. I can even brush my own teeth. hehe. Cell phones come in so handy, I just call my DH on the phone when I need something and he brings it. Something like ringing the bell....
I notice some of you are on Premarin. I have the premarin cream that I am using. I just don't want this to be ongoing.
Those with headachs might try the chiropractor. I went thurs morning and had him do my upper back and neck.
Speedy recovery to all.
Kris
Unread 05-05-2007, 05:45 PM

well I hope you are feeling better. What a slow recovery. I am feeling alright, but I did get out of bed the wrong way this afternoon and now I am paying for it...
take care
bye for now bizzybee
Unread 05-05-2007, 06:19 PM
TV 4/26 Repost

Guess I posted this in the wrong place before, so I'm reposting here.

I went in for a total vag on 4/26. Got to the hospital (I am very lucky, I work there, so I was treated like ROYALTY)!! got there at 5:30 am for a 7:15 surgery. The Anesthesiologist was a bit late so I waited in the holding area from about 6:00am until almost 7:20. They rolled me right in and the last thing I remember was moving into the OR sturrips and watching the white stuff go through my IV tube!

I remember telling the nurse that it burned my wrist and she said, "don't worry sweety, you won't care about that in just a few seconds"..she was right!

I woke up coughing uncontrollably and just remember how much that hurt! apparently the endotrach tube for the anesthesia caused me to have an asthma attack. My PACU nurse "Bernie" (got to remember to take her flowers when I get back to work) was wonderful. She explained why I was coughing and why I had a mask on my face. I sort of went in and out after that. She asked me my pain level and I remember it was about a 9-10, she gave me some demorol and asked what level it was at....now it was about a 7-8. She said she wanted to get it down to a 3 or 4 so she gave me another dose! That worked!

I woke up again and was in the post op room with my husband! As soon as I woke up he freaked me out by telling me that my children, whom we let sit in the waiting area along, because he thought they would be fine, although I DIDN'T...went to the hospital cafe with a STRANGER!!!!!!! So WHAT if the stranger was my boss!!!!??? SO WHAT if I told him to test my kids to see if they remembered STRANGER DANGER??!!!! So of course NOW we gotta talk about this stranger stuff again!!!

My vital signs were all off, high pulse, low blood pressure (from the breathing treatment I'm sure), but they couldn't let me go home until they were within limit. So 2 more pain pills later and I was ready to go. I got home at noon!

The next day or so were fuzzy!

The pain was NOTHING like I had imagined and by Sunday I really didn't need the pain meds. I did however wake up Sunday morning crying hysterically like someone had just died, for no good reason! My husband freaked out! He thought I was in pain! Just before he called 911 I was able to calm down and shout "HORMONES" between sobs!! WOW!! Where did THAT come from? I wasn't upset, I wasn't in pain! HECK I had JUST WAKEN UP! I hadn't even gone to pee yet! so needless to say, Sunday SUCKED!

That was the 1st and only hormonal issue so far! I still feel very "frisky" so I know the hormones are working... well aside from the hot flashes I feel perfectly normal.... almost..

So now 9 days later.... I don't have any pain, just sort of a tight, pulling feeling on my right side ovary area and internally. It almost feels like the stitches are pulling. AND I'm still bleeding. This is the only thing that worries me because it's still VERY pink! I was under the impression there would be no blood after a couple of days, just discharge. My bleeding is increasing and not turning darker, so I'll be going to the dr Monday morning to make sure all is well.

I did go 6 days without a BM so maybe that caused it? don't know.

Right now, I really can't imagine being off of work a whole 3 more weeks!!!
Unread 05-06-2007, 04:58 AM

Tomorrow will be two weeks post op. My surgery was difficult because the drs. ran into unexpected problems, so I think that is why it is taking me longer to heal. I'm not on HRT even though everything came out. So far I feel fine. My biggest complaint right now is that my stomach is still very sore and I still have to take Tylenol. I haven't taken any other pain meds in days. My incision goes right across my stomach. It's that constant achy feeling that drives me nuts. I still hold on to my stomach. I don't know why. Nothing is going to fall out. I just feel the need to hold on to it. When I go out I wear my abdominal binder, though that is starting to feel tight. My incision is starting to really itch. Guess that means it's getting better. But both sides where my ovaries used to be have been crampy. No blood. Just crampy. I've been having a bit of a problem with my bowels and I am going back to see the dr. tomorrow about that. I'm also taking iron pills. I still get tired easy but I expect that.

I was so afraid of being in a hospital. I never had surgery before. But the drs. and nurses were wonderful to me. The nurses would even bring me ice cream. I had nothing to be afraid of. It was the waiting that was the worst thing. The nurses treated me like a queen. The hardest part was just getting in and out of the bed after the catheter was taken out. I didn't start walking until Day 2. It was very difficult because my legs were so stiff from the cuffs they put on your legs to prevent blood clots. The drs. also told me I'd feel weak for a while because I lost a lot of blood during the surgery and they knew I didn't want a transfusion if it could be helped. I still worry about Aids even though I know most of our blood supply is safe. I wanted to give some of my blood before the hyst but they said I couldn't because I was anemic.

My stomach feels kind of tight now, like the stitches are pulling it together. I still have the steri strips on but they are coming off slowly on their own one by one. Staples were taken out the day I was released from the hospital. Slowly I can feel myself getting better each day. It's just that if my stomach weren't still sore, things would be perfect. Also, I sleep on my stomach and now I can't for a while. I hate sleeping on my back. There are times when I'll feel hot and not so good, but I want to avoid HRT if I can. My regular post op appt. with my own dr. is May 15, but she is on vacation this coming week and I need to see another dr. to get my bowels working right again. I'll still be going to the ob/gyn clinic. Just a different dr.

Walking still hurts. I can't run and when I'm out walking I have to pace myself. But I do a lot of walking and I think that has helped with the gas pains. When I walk up and down the stairs I still go slow and hold my stomach. The drs. told me they got a surprise when they opened me up. I was having the hyst to stop bleeding from fibroids. But what they didn't expect to see was tons of endometriosis. I didn't even know I had it. It added 3 more hours in the OR. Surgery started at 11:45am. I remember going into the OR and it was cold. They put a nice warm blanket on me, and told me to think good thoughts. Last think I remember was the mask being put on my face. I remember only a tiny bit, if that, of the recovery room. I was in my own room by 6pm. I was still groggy but by 9pm started to really wake so that I knew what was going on. I had the 2 for 1 special. My gallbladder had to come out also, so the surgeons were coordinated and once my hyst was done, the other drs. took my gallbladder out by Lap. Since then I've been on a soft diet. Finding out what agrees with me and what doesn't. I was told it would take about a month to really feel good, and I go by what the drs. say. So now I'm still taking it easy. I'm still on the iron, but the kind that doesn't bother your stomach alot. I. The drs. told me I could drive by week 2 if I didn't take any painkillers, and I didn't take them when I drove. Just Tylenol. It does hurt getting in and out of the car, so I only use the car if I really have too.

I was worried about waking up after the anesthesia and feeling sick, but that didn't happen. The nurse told me that they put something in the IV. Mostly it was just brain fog. When I got to my room they hooked me up to the pain drip. They didn't give me morphine. It was something that started with an A but I can't remember what it was. Day 2 I was unhooked from the pain pump and put on oral pain medication. Oh, and I had a private room. It was nice. But so quiet once my family went home for the evening.

It's true what everyone says here. The waiting was the very worst part of this entire thing. My surgery date was changed 5 different times. I think it wasn't changed a sixth time a few days before my surgery because of a horrid gallbladder attack. For everyone who has had gallbladder pain, I really know what you mean when you tell me how very painful it is. It's a pain like nothing else that radiates to your back and if you don't know what it is, which I didn't, I thought I might be having a heart attack. Only had to wait 7 hours in the ER to see a dr. It was my 3rd visit in 3 weeks and they finally found out what was causing the pain.

While the hospital treated me so well, it was good to get home by Wednesday morning. They told me I could stay an extra day if I wanted to. I wish I had. I came home to 3 screaming kids. A 4 year old, a 2 year old and a newborn. All my niece's kids. She was staying with me for a while because she just had a C Section and there would be nobody home during the day at her house to help her.

My scar seems to be healing well. I know that in another two weeks or so this pain I'm having now will probably be gone. I just wish it would hurry up. It's that achy crampy kind of pain. Seems like everyone else here is off the pain meds. I'm still going to take Tylenol for a while. I know it hurts because it's probably healing inside. I'll know more tomorrow when I see the dr. I'm so happy to be on the other side. It took months and now I'm finally here. I thought the waiting was going to kill me before anything else did. But all in all, it was ok. The only thing the drs. couldn't get all of was my cervix, which I wanted out. I was told there wasn't enough time because I was bleeding.

I am starting to get bored. Guess that is a good sign. I'm so used to doing stuff around the house that I have to remember to tell myself to slow down. The only other thing is that I've been getting headaches. I don't know if it's related to the surgery or not but I wasn't having any when I went in to the hospital.

Glad everyone is doing well. Sorry this is so long. Now the insurance bills are starting to come in and I have to wait and see how much of it is going to be paid. Boy, doesn't take long for insurance companies to send out the bills.
Unread 05-06-2007, 07:31 AM
First Post-Op Appointment with GYN/ONC

Today is 8 days since my surgery and I feel terrific.

I finally had the staples taken out and the steri strips put in their place on Saturday (yesterday). I was nervous, but it was nothing...pling, pling, pling and it was over. The surgeon couldn't understand why I was nervous, afterall I had been through the worst with the surgery and even the surgery had gone well for me. I was on very little morphine and only took about 5 Percocets and that was between Saturday night and Monday. I told my doctor that he was a wonderful surgeon and that was why I recuperated so quickly, he followed that with giving credit to me being so healthy and I laughed. I told him if I were so healthy, I wouldn't have been in the hospital to begin with! (and of course, he laughed). Because I was doing so well, he changed my back-to-work date from July 9th to June 25th..so I will only be off 8 weeks.

Best of all I am cancer free! Of course, I have to go for my regular Pap smears, but 3 x's a year instead of one, at least for the first year. All the cancer was removed and it was only at the superficial level, as he called it, Grade 1/Step 1 and no radiation was needed. I am so excited! I feel reborn and am already planning all my future trips with my Red Hatters and future vacations! I may be going on a 6 day cruise next year with a group. Yea! This will be my first cruise.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register