Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007 - Page 25 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007 Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007

Unread 05-14-2007, 07:14 AM
Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat4554
I can't believe how some of you are exercising / riding bikes for such a long period of time. you must be so young.

Anyway, I am listening to my body. That is so important.
Hi Cat4554,

I'm not young, I'm 43. I just have a real hard time sitting still and doing nothing. I have been so athletic and active my whole life that the hardest part for me is to sit still and follow the rules. My body says I feel good and then I go out and test it and my body then lets me know it is NOT healed and then I paid the price for it. My bike tires have been "flattened" and no more bike for me for at least two weeks.

So not young just stupid and stubborn here

Take care and keep doing what your doing, listen to your body!

Hugs

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2007, 07:53 AM

I am 44 and had my surgery also on April 23rd. I had a TAH BSO and I still have to take it easy. Walking around the grocery story is about as much strenuous activity as I can muster up right now. I wouldn't even think of getting on a bike. My pain is very low now, but it's still there and I'm not taking any chances. Walking up and down stairs isn't a struggle anymore, but it's no piece of cake either. I know it's going to be much longer before I feel like I used to feel before the hyst. I'd love to do a lot of things. Gardening, spring house cleaning. But my body just tells me I can't. At least not yet. I have been driving, but not that much. Only to go to the pharmacy to refill my meds. And even after that I was tired. I'm on iron pills to built up my blood. I don't want to have any regrets. My dr. told me that I only had one chance at a good recovery. I don't want to ruin it. Plus, my body tells me what it can take and what it can't take.
Unread 05-14-2007, 07:59 AM

Scraphappy and Cat,

I have been going through the same emotions. It has been really hard to see others who had their surgeries around the same time doing so much, there have been times it has made me feel really inadequate and embarrassed for not being at that level.

For some of us though it is not like that. Just as it takes some women longer than others to recover from childbirth for example, different procedures, different complications all factor in.

I am 49, was not particularly athletic compared to others but I consistently walked a lot faster than my stepsons 22 year old girlfriend and could run severel flights of stairs without a problem, also used to working full time and taking care of everything in the house.

Right now I am sore. Ripped a stitch yesterday just having a BM! They told me to take it really easy to allow all of these rows of stitching inside (3 in all down the entire length of the vagina) heal. And all I can do frustrating as it is, is listen to my Doctors because there is NO WAY I want this surgery to fail. I am not allowed to be on my feet too long.. doing anything for too long and I have been out just once since I came home from the hospital. Right now it is hard for me to imagine going back to work at 8 weeks!

Some of us just need longer I think, for whatever reason and for those that do not need it.. that is just wonderful for them.

A note to Linda. I know you don't need more tongue lashings, pretty sure you are going to get them and then some but please do get cleared before you go riding those bikes again, I would hate to see you with another setback.

to everyone in recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Hi Girls.......

I too am a slow one to recover....actually I shouldnt say "slow" .....but just being cautious not to mention I had the TAH/BSO with vertical incision and I am "fluffy" also.

I too went out to the grocery store with a helper on Friday..she pushed the cart and carried things but I was done in afterwards.....yesterday hubby and I went out for a bite to eat and we took his car and it has a stiff/bumpy ride more so than mine and I even felt that effect.
My incision is doing good I feel and pain level is good also....each day seems better than yesterday butttttttttt.........I am having what I thnik is some bladder discomfort. Sometimes it seems like a UTI is coming on but then it doesnt.....it doesnt hurt to pee but sometime s just discomfort in the uretha. It seems I am emptying OK.......does anyone else have this feeling??? Just wondering if normal or NOT.....I go back to Dr a week from today.

I just dont want any set backs !!!!!!!
Unread 05-14-2007, 08:33 AM

Hi Everyone!

I haven't posted in a while because I had a setback and didn't want the info to scare anyone, but after reading all these posts about feeling inadequate because you're not recovering quickly enough, I'll let you know what's been going on with me. I had my staples out on May 3rd and all was going quite well. I felt really good, and was taking just motrin. I was uncomfortable, but not in pain. The following Monday night, the 7th, my incision started to really burn. I thought it was a reaction to the steri strips they had put on after the staples had come out. I removed them with peroxide and noticed there were welts where the strips had been. I called the on call doctorand explained what was going on, and told her I thought it was an allergic reaction. Because I wasn't presenting with anything else, she agreed, but told me to call my doctor first thing in the morning. I took some Benadryl and that seemed to help. Well, at least it knocked me out so I didn't know if I was feeling that burning sensation anymore. :0) The next morning I was heading to the shower so I could be ready if my doctor wanted to see me first thing when I called, because I knew this still wasn't quite right. I had no other symptoms except for this terrible burn. As I was walking, my incision burst open and about 8 oz of pus and blood errupted from the tear and after that it just kept flowing. I promptly proceeded to pass out, and came to with EMT's hovering over me with an IV and getting me into an ambulance. It turns out it was just a superficial infection, but a serious one, still. They drained the wound as much as they could, then sent me to see my surgeon. He taught my husband how to pack the site with gauze so it continues to stay open and drain. I was put on antibiotics, and felt better almost immediately. I still have to have the packing changed twice a day as it's still draining, but in light of how much worse it could have been, I'm glad I'm back on the mend. This event has set my recovery back a little bit, but I listen to my body and know there are so many others in the same boat. In the grand scheme of life, this will be a tiny space of time. Soon it'll be over and we'll all be feeling better. No rush. Don't feel bad. Your bodies need to heal, and you don't want to develop adhesions. If you do too much too soon, you spend the rest of your life paying for pain from the scar tissue. Relax and remember to be the princesses you are.

Hugs,
Tracy
Unread 05-14-2007, 08:35 AM

Regarding urinating, my problem I've noticed, it leaks out fast, very fast if I don't get to a bathroom in time. GREAT, just great.

I agree about feeling those bumps in the road while in the car.

I was going to go to a flea market tomorrow but cancelled out. I can't walk more than 15 mins. w/o it hurting my belly / incision.

So I read and watch my favorite show THE VIEW and sit on my deck listening to the birds.
Unread 05-14-2007, 12:18 PM

Tracy,

What a terrible thing to happen to you! It must have been SO frightening. I am so glad that you posted and let us know. I do think that if things go wrong the symptoms we have and what it was can really help others, particularly sisters who are inclined to think it is nothing and ignore it!

Kathim - Watch those symptoms of sensations in the urethra. My bladder had been feeling raw and sensitive which I put down to having the sling done and it needing to settle, but I also had prickling sensations in my urethra and reported that along with the other things.. diagnosis UTI and on antibiotics.

It is better to talk to our Doctors than risk it getting to be something much worse.
Unread 05-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Tracy...........

I am soooooo sorry you had to go thru that but it was a bump in our road and now you are back in the drivers seat and going along smoothly. I hope you are feeling better by now!!!
Rest and go slow....I have resigned myself to this fact !!!

Kathi
Unread 05-14-2007, 01:35 PM

Shantra.........
I called my local PCP DR and told them the situation and they faxed me in a slip to have urinalysis done. A friend picked up the bottle and delivered it to me and I am sittng here drinking water and will have hubby take it back to the lab as soon as I can go !!!!
I took your advice and figured I better not wait til next Monday. If the urinalysis comes back abnormal I will call Gyno then as I want to be sure PCP gives me right antibiotics !!
By the way.......what pills were you on for it??? Are u all cleared up now???
Hugssssssss
Kathi
Unread 05-14-2007, 03:22 PM

Kathim,

Not sure what pills I was on to be honest I just took em! LOL. One was a black colored one that turned my urine orange and the other a black and yellow capsule. The first was a 2 day course and the second a 5 day which I took together. I do feel somewhat better but have had some prickly sensations today but I know that antibiotics stay in your system for a few days. If it continues though I will definitely call them again.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register