Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007 - Page 38 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007 Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007

Unread 05-21-2007, 07:41 AM
Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007

Thanks, Tracy. I'm sorry you had to go through something so severe. I guess I should count my blessings. I had one corner that was starting to reopen itself but we had been bandaging the rest of it. The evening that they cut me back open, I don't know if I did not think it was real or what, I got into the shower and blood started to run down my legs into the tub. I screamed and when my husband came runnning, he said that was to be expected. I still got out of there as soon as I got the shampoo out of my hair and sat on the toilet with a towel on the incision. I was in full panic attack mode. I would not dry the rest of myself or let go of the towel until my husband came back and helped me. That was almost 2 weeks ago. He does the packing twice per day. I had not thought about showering between every one but that is probably a good idea - we have one of those hand held shower heads so if I did not want to take a full shower twice per day, I could just do that. No, no one told us about crusting. I'll tell my husband to look for it since I cannot see it. I see the GYN again this morning. It has started to close but my husband is not sure we want it to yet because he is still getting a lot of gunk on the bandages and packing material. I don't want it to close only to have to do this again. We will see what she says today.

Thanks for the support. And yeah, while the pain of packing is gone, it is still probably the weirdest feeling, physically and mentally, I have ever had to do. When I think "I am walking around with an open wound." I get totally grossed out and try not to think about it.

Myloe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2007, 07:57 AM

Helti,

I have the same problem. My lower back is always sore. It's driving me crazy. I took off the abdominal binder the hospital gave me and kept it off for a few days. Now I have it back on, hoping it will help a bit. I can't sit down or lay down without my back aching. It's not like pains, it's just that dull sore feeling. I'm really careful about not picking anything heavy up, but that ache just won't go away.

Also, I'm having a terrible tme sleeping. Every night I have insomnia and wake up in the middle of the night. In between times all I do is toss and turn. I'd give anything for a good night's sleep. It's been weeks now, since the surgery, since I've been able to sleep. I'd ask my dr. for something to help me sleep, but don't those medications stop working after a while? I'm just soooo tired I can't get anything done. All I want to do also is just get a good night's sleep with no dreams or nightmares.

Robin

TAH BSO with gallbladder taken out at the same time.
Unread 05-21-2007, 09:20 AM

Hey Lovesto quilt "Robin"
Have they started you on HRT ??????

Your insomnia could be related to the fact your ovaries are gone. They started me on the lowest dose of premarin to ward off any Menopause symptoms....I am not too happy about it but will deal with that issue after I get healed and bladder infection under conntrol.

You may want to talk to your Dr about it.

Hugssssssss
Kathi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2007, 09:56 AM

Helti and Robin,

I went through really bad back aches during the second and part of thrid week, and also insomnia, and I think I've finally come through that. (Well, I'm hoping, anyway!) Someone mentioned sleeping with the pillows in certain locations and I also felt that helped a great deal. In addition, I used a C-shaped neck pillow so I could sleep slightly proped up. That seemed to help a little, too.

About the insomnia, I found a solution quite by accident. I had a bad reaction to an antibiotic and the doctor told me to take Benedryl to counteract the effects. That benedryl made me sleep like a baby that night (after nights of insomnia)! My husband pointed out that Benedryl is the exact same medication in Tylenol PM. Obviously, you should check with your doctor before taking any medication, but Tylenol PM might be helpful for temporary insomnia. Even one night's good sleep is better than none!

Best wishes and hugs to everyone!
Unread 05-21-2007, 10:06 AM
28 days post op

fri sat and sun were big days. fri we went garage sales, getting in and out of the truck was hard on me, my body started hurting, and sat we spent most of day in town and i hurt. sunday i stayed home from church. my honey let me go back to sleep till one. sunday morn we kind of did the nono about 1 inch, he had great control, poor man. today monday i am going to be lazy. sort of, my garden needs my attention.I just thought after 4wks i would be good to go, guess not yet.hope all are doing well. does anyone just get an aching in the vag? just wondering.
Unread 05-21-2007, 10:07 AM

Hi Kathi,

No, they haven't put me on hrt just yet. Other than the insomnia, the only real menopause symptom I'm having right now is the occasional hot flash, so the plan was to wait until the symptoms get worse. But I do have an appointment with my gyn in a few weeks. I'm going to talk to her about this. I wanted to avoid hrt if I possibly could, but maybe I'll have to end up taking it anyway. During the day all I do is drag myself around I'm so tired. Then I figure I'll get a good night's sleep when I go to bed. But all I do is toss and turn, then wake up in the middle of the night and walk around a while and then try to sleep some more. But I can't. I will definitely talk about this to my dr. She never told me what type of symptoms I would have after my hysterectomy. It would have been nice if she did. I never gave it a thought that the insomnia was because of my ovaries being taken out, but it's a good possibility.

Thanks for the tip,
Robin
Unread 05-21-2007, 10:11 AM

Hi Robin,
Have you tried a warm shower before bed for the backache. Maybe a heating pad on your back. I believe you said that you were able to lie on your tummy, if so this seems to work for me, crawl up on your bed. Stack 2 or 3 pillows in the middle of the bed. Position tummy slightly behind the pillow. Assume the position of a baby sleeping with butt in air. Adjust pillow under tummy until comfortable. This seems to gently give my back muscles a rest. The back muscles are working overtime to compensate for the major weakness from the incision in the abdominals. I'm guessing that's why our backs ache.
I'm not on HRT so can't express an opinion there.

Hugs and Positive Energies,
Crystal
Unread 05-21-2007, 10:19 AM

Toshie,

I always keep the pillows propped up when I sleep because it helps me breathe better. But it's still awful trying to fall asleep. I'll ask my dr. about Tylenol PM or Benadryl. Something to get me over the difficult part until things settle down. I also notice that I sleep a little better if I wear my abdominal binder during the day and at night. I wouldn't think I would need it at 4 weeks post op, but I guess I still do because I feel better when I'm wearing it.

I don't see my dr. until July 7th, but I have to go to the pharmacy to refill some medications. I'll ask the pharmacist if it is okay to take either the Tylenol or Benadryl. I really need to get some sleep. I'm so tired. Even when I was in the hospital I couldn't sleep at night. I'd lay there and watch the clock all night. I'll also check out one of those c shaped pillows. If I can just get a few good night's sleep, maybe the rest will come normally.

Robin
Unread 05-21-2007, 10:21 AM

Toshie, do you take HRT?

Robin
Unread 05-21-2007, 01:13 PM

I am going to try some more pillows tonight.

Moulton, I did a lot on Saturday too and was really tired yesterday. I did go to church (first time since surgery) but was so sore and tired. Rested in bed all afternoon. Today I felt better again and worked 3 hours. Now I am going to rest in bed until my kids come home.

Helti
TAH

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register