Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007 - Page 48 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007 Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007

Unread 05-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007

Oops. I forgot to say that my hysto was a TAH/BSO vertical incision. Everything but cervix was taken. I am fluffy (250+lbs) so that is the reason for the strict restrictions. I have lost 9 lbs so far and am chomping at the bit to get on the treadmill and bowflex. However, that's not going to happen until Nov. at the earliest. Thank goodness my appetite has been 1/2 what it used to be. I think the water drinking is really helping.

Hugs,
Crystal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovie5
I think this is wierd . We all have been through roughly the same surgery and were told different things. I know by read these messages that some of you have seen your dr more then once . I have only seen mine once just to take out stitches. I will see dr again after 6 weeks . I was told don't lift 10lb . Man , doesn't sound weird that there such a difference. Would it make a diffence that I kept my overies and cervis ?
I had everything out and my dr. was pretty liberal in what I could do. She did say no heavy lifting. I have been lifting small stuff. She said no sex for 6 weeks. I don't even care about that at this point. And I saw her once post op and I see her another time post op on June 7th, and then I have a six month appt. to see her. She said I could drive, which I have been doing. I don't strain myself or pick up anything very heavy, though my stomach has been sore today. Twice I brought in the groceries, and those were past 10lbs. Well, some of the bags were.

I guess each dr. has their own way of doing things. It's like if you ask 2 different people the same question. You get 2 different answers. It is strange, though.

I do have stitches but I think they are the kind that dissolve. I'm not quite sure, though. The staples were taken out on the day I was discharged from the hospital.
Unread 05-24-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingdragon
Oops. I forgot to say that my hysto was a TAH/BSO vertical incision. Everything but cervix was taken.
If you kept your cervix, you had a SAH (supracervical abdominal hysterectomy). The cervix is part of the uterus so only when it's all removed it is called a TAH.

It can get pretty confusing, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2007, 06:14 PM

Hey guys. A little while ago, I mentioned that I was a bit sore after my exam yesterday, and that I'd been running around a lot over the last couple of days.

My tummy definitely hurts tonight, and now I'm having just the slightest bit of blood. This is probably due to just overexertion and maybe having my innards jostled yesterday, right? I haven't had any bleeding since about a week post-op, so it is just a tad disconcerting.

Sheila
Unread 05-24-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingdragon
Hi Robin,
Glad to hear you are feeling better!!!!! I'm not on HRT either. I found out yesterday that what I thought was a recurrence of a yeast infection after my second castle stay was in fact an allergic reaction to one or both of the oral anti-b's (Bactrim and Clindomyacin) I was taking. Grrrr! I waited a whole week to call the dr. Let that be a lesson to me. Anyway, I'm off anti-b's until I see my primary on Tues. for a follow-up on the cellulitis. Taking benadryl and not feeling like I want to take my skin off. I can relate to Cassandra on Dr. Who, "Moisturize me, Moisturize me."

Hugs,
Crystal
Hi Crystal,
So, it turned out to be an allergic reactiion instead of a yeast infection. Both of those antibiotics are pretty strong. I can't take either one of them either. The Bactrim gives me welts and I itch like crazy, like you have been doing, and the Clindomyacin does the same thing. They are very rough drugs on the kidneys. I was told to drink lots of water when I was on the Bactrim and that still didn't help. My dr. told me to stop it immediately. I had taken it years ago for a kidney infection.

Benadryl is good to have on hand. I've never taken it, but I would if I needed it. As for Dr. Who, my brother loves that show. I've only seen a few episodes.

Glad you are feeling better.
Robin
Unread 05-24-2007, 07:51 PM

Hey is there a difference in recovery time between tah or sah ? OR all created equally? Is anyone still having trouble bm everyonce in a while ?
Unread 05-24-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Hey is there a difference in recovery time between tah or sah ? OR all created equally? Is anyone still having trouble bm everyonce in a while ?
I would think there would be a difference in recovery time, but everyone is so different. I was in the OR for almost 6 hours due to problems and I'm just starting to feel better, though I am still tired all the time and I'm taking iron. Since I am taking iron, that tends to make you constipated. So I'm not really regular, but then again I'm not eating much either. I do have an appetite. It's just that I don't eat much.
Unread 05-24-2007, 08:01 PM

Is that normal to have to take Iron pills ? I noticed that I am the same way . It is like my stomach is not the same size .
Unread 05-24-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Is that normal to have to take Iron pills ? I noticed that I am the same way . It is like my stomach is not the same size .
I don't know if it's normal to take iron pills, but my blood was low before the surgery and I lost more than a unit during the surgery itself. If I don't take iron pills I get so tired I sleep all the time. My dr. says it takes time for the blood to build back up again, so I imagine I'll be taking the iron for a while. I get the kind that doesn't bother my stomach. It's either iron pills or getting a blood transfusion. I'll take the iron pills. I think most women get anemic after this type of surgery.

Robin
Unread 05-24-2007, 08:59 PM

I have been anemic in the past but this time I dropped so low they had to do a transfusion. Since then my hemoglobin has been very good so no iron here. I know what it does to you though.
I asked about difficult bowels and was told I could take a stool softner, like colase at home. I would ask your Dr if they think it will help. I know it helps me, I would be in a lot more pain yet without it I think.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register