Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007 - Page 64 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007 Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007

Unread 06-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007

Ladies

Thanks so much for sharing your 6 week follow up visits. My doc was very rushed and provided very little info at my 5 week appointment, so your info really helps. He did continue my lifting restriction for 2 more weeks since my incision was not looking good, but forgot to ask him about sex. Since I still have my cervix, and he did not comment when he did my internal exam, I assume it is OK to try...very carefully.

I started on Vivelle Dot one week ago and my night sweats and hot flashes are now gone, so that has been a blessing. Have noticed I have been a bit more emotional these days, but I will really know how I am feeling emotionally when I go back to work on Thursday. Although I like my job, and I am very happy to have one, there is a lot of stress that I am not looking forward to. So I will know if I have changed emotionally when I get back to the rat race and stress. I have been using this time off to try to come up with a plan to deal with it. One more day to prepare....

Pat
SAH, BSO, PB Sling, Bladder suspension
Endo, fibroids, anemia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2007, 04:52 PM

Hi All,
Just went back to my Dr., I had over lifted last week and was still having cramping. The good news was that she didn't feel I did any damage lifting. The bad news is she felt I have developed an infection. She said my Hysto was exceptionally difficult, I had lots of adhesions from 3 previous C-sections and I also had my bladder cut. She did a vaginal check and blood work, I suppose I won't find out until tomorrow, since it is so late. I was given another week of restrictions for lifting and sex, she felt I was still slightly swollen and still have stitches. I suppose if this is an infection, I might even have longer restrictions. All for now, I am just happy I didn't do any damage to myself lifting to much.

Lisa
Unread 06-05-2007, 05:09 PM

Thanks for your post Luvs2Quilt...sorry you are going through the toss and turn as well, but it does make me feel not so alone and that it is normal.

No, I am not on any HRT yet but will discuss it with the doctor on monday at my 6 wk check up...I am just concerned about taking the hormones with the anti-depressants I am already on and also we have breast cancer in the family and I have heard it will up my risk if I take HRT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2007, 05:20 PM

My dr put me on the climara patch one day after surgery and emotionally I have been fine. My husband says I am a little on edge at times so maybe we need to talk to the dr on Friday and maybe I have to increase the HRT a little. As for the sleeping, I was having trouble since I got out of the hospital. My dr. put me on Ambien, which is a low dose sleeping pill and I sleep like a baby now and feel good in the morning. I highly suggest if you are having sleeping problems to give it a try. I was hesitant at first but I am glad that I started to take it. Now I can cope with my days without being so tired.
Unread 06-05-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meno Marie
Thanks for your post Luvs2Quilt...sorry you are going through the toss and turn as well, but it does make me feel not so alone and that it is normal.

No, I am not on any HRT yet but will discuss it with the doctor on monday at my 6 wk check up...I am just concerned about taking the hormones with the anti-depressants I am already on and also we have breast cancer in the family and I have heard it will up my risk if I take HRT.
I'm hoping the tossing and turning phase will wear itself out. Otherwise, I'll have to go on some kind of hormone.

As for antidepressants and hormones, I don't think that will be a problem. I take antidepressants and my dr. said it wouldn't be a problem and I know a few other people who take the same combination. But talk to your dr. first.

As for the breast cancer that runs in your family, that is a totally different thing. If it were me, I would think twice about it also. My aunt had a hyst when she was in her 70's. Right afterwards the drs. put her on Premarin. This is way before they knew the dangers of HRT. She took it for about 3 years and then started having abnormal mammograms. Now she has to have a mammogram every 4 months. Her primary dr. told her to stop the Premarin immediately. She hasn't taken it for over a year now, but the changes still show up in her mammograms. I just pray the changes don't mean anything bad. So I know where you are coming from. I'm hoping I don't have to go on HRT. I might give myself a little more time to see how I feel. I didn't go through menopause when I had my hysterectomy. I'm 44. I have my days when anything will made me feel sad. Then there are the days where the hot flashes come over me so fast I feel sick. I also get headaches and while my incision is healing very good, my sides are still sore where they took my ovaries out.

I go for my next exam this Thursday. It should be my 6 week post op but it's my 7th because my dr. took a vacation shortly after she did my surgery.

I wish you the best when you go back to work.
Unread 06-05-2007, 05:24 PM

Thanks Angel65, good to know that sleep meds really do work and I will discuss it with my doc next week.
Unread 06-05-2007, 05:27 PM

Luvs2Quilt, thanks again for the tips! I hope everything is ok with your aunt and good luck to you too!
Unread 06-05-2007, 06:23 PM

luvs2 quilt
,,,,,,,,i noticed you wrote you didnt go thru menopause when you had your surgery. did i say that wrong?. how does that happen?. I am finding out so many things on this site,
my gyne did not put me on any hormones either, had TAH/BSO, and i occasionally get hot flash, insomnia, but at my 4 week post op he said if it really bothers you let me know, i just assumed when you had tah/bso you go thru menopause,
please let me know
thank you so much
Unread 06-05-2007, 06:23 PM

Meno Marie,
When I see my gyn this week I'm going to ask her about taking something to sleep. I feel like a walking zombie I'm so tired. It's like my days have turned into nights and my nights have turned into days.

Take Care,
Robin
Unread 06-05-2007, 06:48 PM

happier123,

No, you are absolutely right. I never went through Menopause when I had my hysterectomy. In fact, I was having regular periods right up until I had the surgery. I had a complete TAH BSO. Well, my cervix is still there. The adhesions prevented the drs. from taking it out.

You will find that a lot of women on this site have never went through menopause before they had their surgeries. More than you can ever imagine. Most of them are in their 30's or late 20's.

When I had my hysterectomy it was going from a regular monthly period to nothing. NiL... Around last September my periods were getting heavier. By Christmas I was severly anemic. I went to the gyno because I knew something wasn't right. They found a large fibroid that was in the lining of my uterus and it had to come out because the bleeding wouldn't stop. I was given other options, but the chances of those options working were slim, and by then I felt so sick. After much soul searching, I decided to have everything out, even though one of my drs. said I could keep my ovaries but the more experienced dr. said I should have them out. So I had everything taken out.

What wasn't planned or known is that I had severe endometriosis. The surgeons were surprised by that one and the surgery took much longer. I was told that my insides were literally glued together and they just couldn't take my cervix out. So I will continue to have to have regular pap smears, even though I hate them because they hurt.

My sister had her hysterectomy when she was 26. She also had severe endometriosis. She was on hormones for a while, but hasn't taken them for years now.

Personally, I have learned so much on this website. Stuff I never knew about or thought about before. I never in my life thought I would end up having a hysterectomy. My period was on time for years. Then all of a sudden it started coming earlier and earlier and I was going through pads like crazy. I had a lot of blood clots too. I think it must be inherited because my mother had lots of female problems. She was always having surgeries. I think she had endometriosis also. Plus a number of other things.

I'll definitely go through menopause now. But it will be surgical menopause, not natural menopause.

We learn something new every day. I don't know if I'm going to go on HRT or not. I assume sometime down the road I am going to need it. I see my dr. this Thursday. It will be almost 7 weeks post op for me.

Just in case I misunderstood you, no, I didn't go through menopause before the surgery, but I will go through it now. If I have to go on hormones, I will.

Nice chatting with you,
Robin

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register