Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007 - Page 68 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007 Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007

Unread 06-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007

Hi everyone sounds like all of you are doing well. I just got back a few days ago from visiting family down in Texas, we did the driving thing made sure I had pain meds with. But every thing went very well this trip, got home though and got a pretty good cold now, but handling okay. I too am not redy to go back to work yet even though I only work part time.

I think I am going to talk to the doc about the HRT, I like to try to go without for a while and see how it goes without it. He put me on the day after surgery, so I had know idea what to except right after the TAH, so the last couple of days thats I have been thinking of.

so anything to let me what you think about the HRT would be great.

talk soon, Anna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2007, 06:51 AM

Today is my 6 week anniversary. I have been back to work 2 weeks and no ill effects from it. My recovery has been uneventful. Sometimes I get tired and nap. Tomorrow is my check up. I will drop my husband off at the airport on my way to the doc so no matter what he says about sex, it will still have to wait. I just hope he says I can hit that swimming pool which has been shouting my name for weeks now.
I'll tell you how it goes tomorrow. I hope I don't sit in his waiting room for hours AGAIN!!!!
Unread 06-07-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingdragon
Hi Robin,
You might want to look for the Calcium Soft Chews. WalMart carries a sugar free version from Spring Valley that have 500mg Calcium and 200mg Vit D. They taste and have the consistancy of Tootsie Rolls. One word of caution. Read the labels on any multivitamins you may be taking. I picked up One A Day Women's Multivitamin before surgery. They contain 450mg calcium and 800mg Vitamin D. In itself that is twice the recommended dose of Vitamin D. It says so on the label. Combined with the calcium soft chews this was way more than my Dr. recommended for me (500mg Calcuim 3xdaily + 400-600mg Vitamin D). I asked today to be sure and Dr. stated that too much Vitamin A, D, or K can cause damage to kidneys and liver. So she suggested that I find another Vitamin or find straight calcium. Since DH takes a different multi-vit, I checked and his will work for me. Hope this helps. Oh, and I checked the rest of the ingredients. There is nothing else in them. Just Calcium and vitamin D. They are made by Equate, which is a brand WalMart puts out. Since there are no other ingredients in them, I should be able to take one tablet twice a day with no problems. Does that sound right?

Hugs,
Crystal
an avid label reader due to diabetes (DH and self) and peanut allergy (DS)

Crystal,

The Calcium I am taking now contains 400IU of Vitamin D3 and the Calcium is 630 mgs. Is that the right dosage? I'd like to finish this bottle because I hate wasting them. Then I'd like to go on to the other ones you recommended.

On the bottle of the ones I'm taking now, it says to take 1 or 2 tables two times a day. So far I"ve just been taking one tablet a day.

Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2007, 09:45 AM

I went to see my gyn/surgeon today for my 7 week post op check. I thought I was going to have to have a pap smear but it turned out I didn't because looking back at the records, the dr. found out that I just had a pap and a pelvic and HPV test last October. All were negative. She said I would need my next pap and pelvic in 08.

I didn't have a lot of time to ask her many questions. When you go to a clinic it is not like a private dr. When I was going to a private dr., the dr. would answer all my questions. At the clinic, there are so many patients to see that the dr. just doesn't have the time. My dr. also told me that she is leaving to start her own practice. It's so difficult to get used to one dr. for such a long time and then they leave and you have to start all over again with another dr. Going back over the history, etc. I did have a breast exam and go for my mammogram in August.

I haven't started HRT yet, but my dr. told me when I felt that I needed it, to just call the clinic and they will set me up with another dr. who will start me on something. Even though I am not covered by insurance, I prefer to go to a more experienced, private dr. if I do start the HRT. Someone that knows more about it than a Resident that is just learning.

My incision healed well. I wanted to ask the dr. what would be good to use to make the scar less red, but she was out the door before I had a chance. I've heard others mention opening a vitamin E capsule and rubbing that on. Maybe I'll try that. I continue to take my Calcium plus vitamin D. The pills are so big but I found that if you take them with a large gulp of water, they tend to go down fast.

I have my good days and my bad days. My incision doesn't hurt much, if any, My lower back is still kind of achey. I asked my dr. about that but didn't get much of an answer. I still have a difficult time sleeping. I didn't even have time to ask my dr. that question either. She was in such a hurry. I hope one day to have private insurance. It would be great to have the same drs. for more than one year. I did notice my stitches weren't checked this time. They must dissolve. She didn't check the vaginal cuff either. I don't know if it's something they are supposed to do after surgery or not. So now I'm just going to take it one day at a time. I wasn't told if I couldn't or could life anything, so I'll just use my common sense on that one. I would think that they would have a list drawn up of what you can and can't do. My primary dr. did more blood work to see if I was still anemic and to check my thyroid and cholesterol. I think he wants to put me on cholesterol meds. I tried that once and it didn't work out. Too many side effects.

Hope everyone else is feeling better by now.

Robin
Unread 06-07-2007, 10:57 AM
6 weeks today !!!!

Hi Everyone........

Just thought I would check in....6 weeks today HARD to believe !! Like everyone else I have my good days and BAD days.....
Even though I am on the premarin it seems in the mornings I am feeling HOT......of course I live in the desert so hard to tell just what it is !! lolol I am also having the insomnia about 1-2 am in the morning and I lay awake so maybe my HRT needs to be adjusted to higher dose??

Incision pain is very light now. I still get that heaviness feeling in vaginal area if I am up on feet too long but I DO think even that MIGHT be getting less.
I go to the DR on the 18th so we'll see.

I am using mederma cream on incision first and let that dry a few min and then the cocoa butter/vit e cream and incision is looking good as far as incisions go.

Kathi
Unread 06-07-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodThoughts
Hi Everyone!

I had my post op on Monday. My incision split open again and started draining on Sunday night. When I saw the doctor he checked the site, and it tore open more. The good news is it's not infected. He told me to just let it keep draining, and if it doesn't close in 10 days I have to see him again. I asked him what would happen if it didn't close. He told me he suspected it would close. I then asked if he didn't want to tell me what was going to happen if it didn't close. He just replied that he thought it would close. That makes me more than a little nervous! I wonder if he has to do something really unpleasant if it DOESN'T close??!?!?!? Ugh! Other than that crazy complication everything else looks good and he told me I could resume all my normal activities, but to ease into them slowly.

I started HRT. He put me on Prempro. I took it out of the box, put it on the table and stared at it for a long time, praying that I was making the right decision My mom took Premarin after her first bout with ovarian cancer 17 years ago, and it was the cause of her first recurrence, hence my great hesitation. When I broke out in a hot flash and soaked through my clothes I finally popped the pill. I'm not my mom, and had this surgery before I developed cancer in the first place. We'll see how it goes from here. Deep breaths.....

I've decided to take the rest of the school year off since there are only 8 days left for us anyway, and those days are filled with lots of outdoor activites for the kids, which means lots of time on my feet and chasing little ones around. I'm not ready to do that much running around yet. It's going to be a big enough endeavor to have 100 people at my house on Saturday for my son's graduation party. Thank God my family is so helpful, and my sisters here are so supportive with their encouraging words.

Wishing everyone well!!
Tracy
Tracy...................

It will heal and close. When that happens to incisions then they have to heal from inside out sort of. Just keep taking care of it.......probably air is good and it will heal......."Time" in this case is what is needed !!
You sound good........I am happy for you. I am getting some private summer moments so am thinking my HRT is not high enough.
WHat dose were you put on??

Hugssssssss
Kathi
Unread 06-07-2007, 03:31 PM

Tracy
, good luck to you, i hope your incision is healing better, what caused it to do that did he say?
take it easy for the party, have fun
Unread 06-07-2007, 03:37 PM

Crystal, didn't know too much vit. D is bad for you. I too take a multi vit that has 100% of D and then calcium with D. So now I am probably going to switch to just calcium. Thanks for the hint. I too am an avid label reader due to diabetes (me) and strawberry alergies (DS). Ironic that just when my strawberry patch got good (it took 4 years) my DS developed an allergy. He is sad about it but accepts it.

Work today. I was overwhelmed with welcomes back. We have a teacher I am really close to retiring and I had to give a little speech to say goodbye to her so I started it with thanks for all the good wishes and telling them I am better, so that stopped the influx of people. Thanks goodness or I would have never gotten any work done. I was busy putting away my classroom for the summer. I didn't carry many books but did almost everything else. at about 2:15 my stomach started cramping so I knew it was time to quit moving things. So I took care of some computer work and paperwork and called it a day. My sub wanted to throw out my geometry classes finals because he didn't think they would be very good but I told him they had to be held accountable for their learning so I brought them home to grade tonight. Sigh. Other than that I think I have things well in hand for tomorrow, only one class and my prep period so it should be less stressful than today with 3 classes.

Really windy today here and we had an awning up in our back yard, since mother's day no less. Well, it is upside down and across the yard at the moment and might be broken. Can't tell you how many times I asked the boys to take it down so something like this didn't happen, sigh again.

Still no sign of my cat and one son cried quite a bit last night. I told him if he wasn't home by the time my trip is over we could put up signs.

I donated all my extra "supplies" to the nurses office at school. They were very grateful, so if you have a cupboard full of stuff, I know schools are grateful to get it as girls get surprised a lot.

Jane
Unread 06-07-2007, 03:43 PM

I didnt know too much vitamin d was bad for you either, thanks. i do hope you find your cat
flwrper, that is sad to loose one, when i moved 2 years ago, we lost ours for 3 days and were worried because it was a new place, but she found us,
tommorrow is my first day back, wow, hope it goes as easy as everyone is saying it does,
Unread 06-07-2007, 04:28 PM

Hi Kathi,

You sound like you're doing great! I am feeling better. Doing a lot of running around for the graduation party. I'm looking forward to having all of my family here. I'm on Prempro 2.5 MG- 0.625. Before I started on this Tuesday the only issues I experienced were plenty of hot flashes, and headaches. Last night I had a truckload of crazy dreams, and this morning a story on Good Morning America had me hysterical in tears. Later as I was doing some cleaning I dusted a music box that had been made for my mom. I played it and bawled again! I'm not a crier so this is WEIRD!!!

Happier- To answer your question, I'm the one who developed an abscess 12 days after surgery and my incision burst open and drained like crazy. I required gauze packing twice a day for almost 3 weeks. It had finally closed, but broke open again and started draining on Sunday. It's not deep enough to pack again but it's just uncomfortable. Often it stings like a paper cut on a crease in your finger. A little ouchy. The doctor was a little surprised to see that it had opened again, and when he stretched the skin to look at it, it tore open a little more. Again - Ouchy!! He asked if I take a lot of ibuprofen - but I don't. So he wasn't quite sure what the cause was. All I know is that I have my fingers crossed that at the 10 day mark (which is next Wednesday) I'll be healed so I don't have to see him again. I'm afraid of what will happen if it's not. Oh well - I'll just jump off that bridge when I come to it.

Hugs to all!
Tracy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register