Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007 - Page 69 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007 Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007

Unread 06-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007

Ok, ladies I feel like I am having my period. Feel yacky + stomach cramps. it does not feel real bad but I recogize the symptoms and I think I will take some ibuprofen. Timing would be perfect. I counted back to my last period before the surgery and it fits. WOW, it is weird. Well I guess that must mean my ovaries work. I feel like I should be getting out the BIG box of pads BUT - don't need to do that EVER again.

Helti
TAH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Checking In

Greetings Hystersisters!

I haven't posted in a couple of weeks. Tomorrow will be 6 weeks for me. I've been doing pretty good for the last couple of weeks. I've been working part-time (I'm self-employed and mostly work from home), running errands, cooking and doing light housework.

Today I was in a meeting for four hours. When I got up I stretched and shortly afterwards I felt pain from my chest to my pelvis. Had to take my first pain pill in weeks when I got home. A painful reminder that everything isn't healed yet!

I don't have my next Dr. apt until next Tuesday. I'm afraid to even think about sex until I get the OK from the Dr. I'm hoping I'll be able to try next weekend.

I haven't decided about HRT yet. I would like to avoid it, but the hot flashes have been driving me nuts lately. I had them before the surgery, but not this bad. I ordered a couple of books that I want to read before I decide. (The Wisdom of Menopause by Dr. Christine Northrup and What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause by Dr. John Lee).

Glad to hear everyone is continuing to improve. Have a good weekend!

Eva
Unread 06-08-2007, 06:13 PM

Hey everyone, hope you guys are all feeling well!
I found the note from my Dr and it says Calcium 1500mg per day and Vitamin D 800 IU/Day.
Tried sex the second time---- MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!! I feel being scared was what made it bad the first time. It feels kinda good getting back to somewhat normal. Won't it be nice not to have to buy the tampons and pads and feel headaches and cramps and plan around your period! YAHOOOOOO!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2007, 06:42 PM

Had my 6 week check up today. He did an internal exam. Said my stiches are fully disolved and I am totally healed inside and out. He released me to full return to activites prior to surgery. I said, you mean except vacuuming, right? HA HA So back to work Monday at the other office and I will resume my work schedule then.
Unread 06-08-2007, 07:36 PM

Hi all,

For anyone considering whether or not to take hormones, I have a great book to recommend. It is "The Hormone Decision" by Tara Parker-Pope. She does a complete unbiased evaluation of the WHI study that was done. There is a big difference in the outcome for those with a uterus and those without. Much better results for the women without a uterus taking estrogen only. I found it very interesting and I am very pleased with my decision to take estrogen. I have no cancer or blood clot history, so I think it is the right decision for me.

Went back to work on Thursday, and the first day was pretty exhausting. Did better today - but I work in a very large building that requires lots of walking and stairs. Today I took the elevators and that worked much better.

Pat
SAH, BSO, PB Sling, Bladder Suspension
Endo, Fibroids, anemia
Unread 06-08-2007, 08:19 PM

I had my 6 week post op today. Everything good for me except had to have some silver nitrate put on the vaginal cuff. I told the doc that I'm telling my boss that I still need to be careful for a little while longer because my boss has been working me to death since I started working at the 2 week post op. I'm just trying to make my boss feel bad and want to slowly ease my way back to lifting and long driving.
Unread 06-08-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmaxxxx
Hi all,

For anyone considering whether or not to take hormones, I have a great book to recommend. It is "The Hormone Decision" by Tara Parker-Pope. She does a complete unbiased evaluation of the WHI study that was done. There is a big difference in the outcome for those with a uterus and those without. Much better results for the women without a uterus taking estrogen only. I found it very interesting and I am very pleased with my decision to take estrogen. I have no cancer or blood clot history, so I think it is the right decision for me.

Went back to work on Thursday, and the first day was pretty exhausting. Did better today - but I work in a very large building that requires lots of walking and stairs. Today I took the elevators and that worked much better.

Pat
SAH, BSO, PB Sling, Bladder Suspension
Endo, Fibroids, anemia
This is the decision I'm starting to face since my hysterectomy on 4/23. I had everything out but my cervix. Too many adhesions and the dr. said it would be too dangerous. But everything else is gone and now that time has passed by, I think I can feel the symptoms of menopause starting to set in, and it would be good to read about it before I actually have to go on something. I'll see if I can find this book in the library.
Unread 06-08-2007, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Quilt
Crystal,

The Calcium I am taking now contains 400IU of Vitamin D3 and the Calcium is 630 mgs. Is that the right dosage? I'd like to finish this bottle because I hate wasting them. Then I'd like to go on to the other ones you recommended.

On the bottle of the ones I'm taking now, it says to take 1 or 2 tables two times a day. So far I"ve just been taking one tablet a day.

Robin
Hi Robin,
I can only tell you what my Dr. told me. She stated that the body can only absorb 500mg of calcium at a time. I had a devil of a time finding that dosage as most had 600mg per dose. She also prescribed 400-600mg of Vit. D.
I did some research on Vit. D. At Wikipedia with supporting references, the problem level appears to be when one gets above 2000mg of Vit D. Which in my case if I daily took the One-a-Day Vit with 800mg of D + 600mg of D from the chews + fortified milk, cheese, and yogurt, I would be pushing the 2000mg mark.
I was telling DH about this and complaining that I couldn't find straight calcium without D. He laughed and said we have some in the medicine chest. Of course I said, "Huh?" "The antacids," he replied. Sure enough. One antacid contains 300mg of calcium with no Vit. D.

Hope I haven't muddied the waters more.

Crystal
Unread 06-09-2007, 04:59 AM

Morning ladies and happy weekend! Due to scheduling on my doc’s side, I had a 5 week check up that was everything but an internal exam, which was AOK with me. Doc released me to ease back into sex this weekend (hubby is pacing…), but to take it slow. I have my internal exam on the 19th, the 8 week point. I have to say this again, at about the 4 ˝ week point, everything started to take a dramatic turn to the better. I have sore swelly belly days, but soooo much better than all the issues from the first 4 weeks. Most significantly, the intestinal and BM birthing pains I attribute the change to really doing as much walking as possible, getting back to work and the normalcy’s of life and time. On one hand, I am amazed that I am almost at 7 weeks. On the other, it seemed to drag on and on. Oh well, patience was never one of my strong suites,

Crystal and others, thank you for the info on the Vit D. I am taking OsCal which has 400 IU of Vit D and 500mg of Calcium. Also the One of Day for Woman….so to your point Crystal, after I figure in my diet…I am pushing the ceiling a little.

Best wishes to all. More after this weekend and time with hubby. Very honestly, I am scared to death.
Unread 06-09-2007, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingdragon
Hi Robin,
I can only tell you what my Dr. told me. She stated that the body can only absorb 500mg of calcium at a time. I had a devil of a time finding that dosage as most had 600mg per dose. She also prescribed 400-600mg of Vit. D.
I did some research on Vit. D. At Wikipedia with supporting references, the problem level appears to be when one gets above 2000mg of Vit D. Which in my case if I daily took the One-a-Day Vit with 800mg of D + 600mg of D from the chews + fortified milk, cheese, and yogurt, I would be pushing the 2000mg mark.
I was telling DH about this and complaining that I couldn't find straight calcium without D. He laughed and said we have some in the medicine chest. Of course I said, "Huh?" "The antacids," he replied. Sure enough. One antacid contains 300mg of calcium with no Vit. D.

Hope I haven't muddied the waters more.

Crystal
Crystal,
So, would the Calcium plus vitamin D tablets that I am taking be okay to continue? It's a little confusing. On the bottle that I have, it says the serving size of the Calcium plus vitamin D would be two caplets daily. Would 400 IU of Calcium D3 plus 630mg. per dose of calcium ( as calcium citrate) be okay to continue taking? And should I take a tablet just once a day or twice a day like recommended on the bottle? I don't drink any milk or take any dairy products. I'll have an ice cream once in a while, but that is about it. It seems like the tablets I have are 630mgs. of calcium each, not the 500 or less your dr. said the body could absorb.

I know I read somewhere that the body could take up to 600mg. of calcium at a time and that is why it says to take one tablet twice a day. I don't want to get too much calcium, but I don't want to get much less than recommended either. When my dr. was telling me about Calcium plus vitamin D, I wish I wrote down what she said. I can't see her anymore because she's gone on to have her own practice. What is so confusing is that there are so many brands of Calcium plus vitamin D in the store, that you don't know what to buy. Some with vitamin D, some without. I don't want to end up getting osteoporosis.

What do you think of the Calcium and vitamin D I am taking now? Is it too much calcium? It doesn't seem like I'm over doing it even if I take one tablet twice a day of the Calcium with vitamin D tablets that I have. The amount of calcium in these tablets, while not 500mgs. or less, isn't really much more. Would it really make a difference if these tablets contain 630mg. of calcium? It seems I'm in the right range of vitamin D because there is only 400IU in these tabets?

Sorry, it's just so darn confusing.
Robin

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register