Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007 - Page 73 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007 Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007

Unread 06-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007

I started my period when I was 12, in 1980. I didn't tell my mom for several days, I was too embarassed...lol.....I just kept stealing her thick stayfree pads. I remember the boxes for those things were 3 feet tall...lol.. She finally noticed and asked me about it, and then I had to admit it, so she bought me my VERY OWN big box...geez...Im SOOOO glad I dont have to deal with that anymore. BUT like alot of you, I still haven't thrown my old pads out. AND every purse I have I've found a stash of them in there. WHAT is it with not throwing them out. I have two daughters, but they both use tampons, so its USELESS to keep the dang things. Maybe that is my goal today....Just get rid of them......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2007, 10:55 AM

I am glad I am not the only one still feeling tired. It IS taking a long time. I guess our patience is being tested at times. But isn't it just all worth it? What a Summer we are going to have!!

I got my period in 1979 when I was 12(first one in my class). I was supposed to go do a gymnastics show the day I got it. I went to watch the show and had told everyone I was kind of feeling sick. I remember some of my friends coming up to me saying that I kind of looked sick. I thought that was so dumb.

Helti
TAH-kept ovaries
Unread 06-12-2007, 02:40 PM

I did some work yesterday and I was so tired from it all, I'm ashamed to say I didn't get out of bed today until almost 1pm. And even then I had to drag myself out. Then I had lunch and took another nap. I know the tiredness will go away eventually. Most days I only need a short nap and I get up early in the morning. This is the first time in weeks I slept in so late. Good thing I'm not back to work yet. I would have been very late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2007, 08:36 PM

I remember getting my first period too, I was in fifth grade. I was wearing white pants and it happened at school!!!!! I was suprised to see that some of you are alot younger than me! I am 46 years old! If you don't mind telling how old is everybody??? I am feeling kind of disappointed lately as I keep thinking about the Dr telling me my tumor was the size of a grapefruit. Shouldn't my tummy have really shrunk down afterward? I had a LAVH with everything removed. I have been taking baths for a few weeks now! Feels so good! Have any of you got any weird comments about your surgery or how your feeling.

Luvs2Quilt- Don't feel bad about sleeping in late, your body must have needed it! Why do we women feel guilty about taking care of ourselves? So if you feel like it you have my permission to do it again tomorrow and the next day too!!! HA! Go for it!!!
Unread 06-12-2007, 08:57 PM

I started my period in 1990. I was ten years old. I went to the restroom and saw brown stuff and knew it had come. I sat on the toilet for over an hour while my Mom cried. I told her to get over it and bring me a pad. I thought she was so dumb. Now, Im a mom and I am not looking foward to the day I'm in her shoes. I still get tired too. Usually after going shopping. My bf t irritated me so much today. We had already been to kmart and we were pulling into super walmart. I told her I wanted to get a few things from the grocery side to last till friday. She said why dont you just go to Ingles on your way home. When I told her I was too tired she was shocked. I have two dd's and supper to fix and a house to be cleaned. I was already exhausted. She said Youre still getting tired? Like Im being lazy or something. Lets see her get her guts ripped out and do better. Sorry ladies. it just sorta popped out. I do feel much better. Im just still tired and I sweat a lot at night. It is very annoying. How long will it last?
Unread 06-12-2007, 09:02 PM

Te Te B,

I am 36yo. I had a TAH, ovaries saved. I had TONS of tumors and may the size of extra large oranges. I expected a good weight loss! They also found loads of adhesions. I still have quite a bit of swelly belly so I guess it's normal. I had some complications but seem to be doing okay, considering. Still get VERY tired easily though.

I get comments like: Gosh, you should be all healed and feeling new by now. You still hurt this long after surgery? Awwwwwwww, come on, aren't you milking it just a little? Seriously?

People seem to have NO clue! ANd comments like that grate my nerves.....I bite my tongue but inwardly wish they would just keep their comments to themselves. It's been hard enough having to go through it without the peanut gallery. KWIM?

Incision is beginning to finally close back up though it's pretty red and sore. Had toruble sleeping last night. I'm exhausted!!

Luvs2Quilt, My DH thinks your screen name is cute. LOL I admire your sleeping ability!!! I need a day to sleep like that! I bet it felt sooooooooooooo good!! You go girl!!
Unread 06-12-2007, 09:42 PM

My period started right during Christmas vacation when I was in the 7th grade. I remember waking up that day and feeling so dizzy. Then later on I had a terrible back ache. That night I had to go to the bathroom and I looked down and saw blood on my underwear. At first it didn't occurr to me that is was my period. So I asked my aunt what it was. It wasn't like I didn't know about periods. It's just that I didn't expect it that early. Well, she told me, then she told everyone in the house. I was so embarrassed. My mom had died years ealier. That is why I couldn't go to her. I remember feeling embarrassed when she told my father. I could have cringed. After that they were always regular, but very painful.

I remember one day wearing white pants to school. I didn't realize my period was getting ready to come. Well, it did. I was so embarrassed. The school let me come home and change clothes. Thank God!!! I NEVER wore white again. Another time I was with my father. We had taken a trip to Canada. We were staying with my dad's aunt and had just come home from the zoo in Canada when I went to the bathroom and saw that the back of my shorts were soaked with blood. I don't know why I didn't feel it. God, I could have died. Everyone at the zoo had to have seen that also, and my father never said a thing. Those lessons taught me to keep track of my period and always be prepared.

Years later when it came to having a hysterectomy, I really didn't have anyone to talk to about my fears. I do have 3 aunts but they didn't want to talk about it. All they said was everything would be fine. They didn't want to hear my fears or worries. That is why I found this site such a wonderful place to come. No question is stupid. I have one aunt who did have a hysterectomy and I tried to get her to tell me how it would be. She just kind of fluffed me off and said to stop complaining, which I wasn't. I just wanted to know her experience. All she said was things would be fine, and that was it. Coming on this site calmed my fears more than anything. I learned so much before my surgery that I knew just what to ask my dr. You know how people get when they are in their 80's. They tend to get cranky. Of course if my mom had been alive, I would have gone to her.

I own my own house but my aunts live upstairs. Of course being 7 weeks post op they think that I am totally healed and expect me to pick up heavy things, which I refuse to do. When I explain why, they just roll their eyes. It drives me nuts. They tell me I had the surgery weeks ago and can go about my daily routine now like nothing ever happened. And they get mad when I feel tired. But, I am 44, support myself and just let what they say go in one ear and out the other. Why do people have to be like this?

Te Te B - I'm glad to hear your husband likes my screenname. You wouldn't believe how difficult it was to find a name that nobody else had. Now that I am feeling better, I am going to start quilting again. I do most of my quilting in my bedroom. I need to get a cutting table so I can cut my patterns out. The last table I bought wasn't very sturdy and always moved when I cut patterns out and it would make the seams off kilter. Oh, and the nap felt wonderful once everyone stopped trying to wake me up.
Unread 06-13-2007, 06:24 AM

Hi Loves2Quilt!

I can relate to your complaint about people not understanding how much our bodies are still going through. I think all people have a tendency not to like change or for things to be out of sorts. We prefer things to be "normal" - Whatever that means anymore The fact that we're not back to our old selves is disconcerting to those around us, and to them it seems like this should all have stopped by now.

My in laws have been staying with us since May 1. ( My hysterectomy was on April 26th). We've had such an uproar in my house since they got here. When they first came we were still in the middle of a house rennovation. The day they arrived all my kitchen cabinets were on my diningroom table and floors. There was construction dust everywhere, and we were walking on subflooring. My mother in law was a Godsend when it came to putting my house back together, cooking, cleaning, and helping me to prepare for my son's graduation, but talking about what I went through - and am still going through- is a different story. She refers to my hysterectomy as "lady surgery" and the words vagina, ovaries, and uterus all fall under the category of "Down Below". I'm reaching a point in the last couple of days that all I want to do is cry. Because my inlaws are not emotional people I feel like I can't even do this in my own house right now. The older generations definitely have a different perspective on medical issues, and don't believe that emotional issues should even be considered part of what's going on. You ignore those and go on about your business. I guess as your body gets older, if you pay attention to all the aches and pains you feel every day just as a normal part of aging, you'd never do anything, so that must be where that mentality comes from.

Yesterday I went to my regular doctor for a check up and she told me that the bloodwork that she had run back in March revealed borderline levels of diabetes, high cholesterol, and I'm showing a high white blood cell count. She wants to do a baseline bone density test, and redo all the bloodwork I had before surgery. My allergies and asthma are kicking up and I have the start of an ear infection because of it. This just threw me for a loop. It's nothing earth shattering, but I'm suddenly feeling overwhelmed. I want my in laws to go home, and I want my house to myself so I can have a self pity party for a few hours. I wish my mom was still alive because with her I could just have a good cry, a nice hug and get a plan together to get my head back in order.

Sorry about whining this morning. On the up side, I'm going to Fenway park to see my Red Sox tonight with my husband and brother. That should be a good antidepressant. Maybe I'll have beer and a sausage sandwich to celebrate my cholesterol level

Have a good day Sisters!
Tracy
Unread 06-13-2007, 09:07 AM

hi everyone,
. Robin, thank you so much for the info, i kept wondering why do my legs ache and why am i having aches where my ovaries were, i thougt okay now something else is wrong, glad to hear others are experienceing this also, and im not going nuts.
..............so much healing we are going thru,
The April girls sounds good , please let me know when the thread gets started.
I got my period when i was 11, and remember the belts and having the pad go up your back, just like being in the castle the pad went up your back, because there was nothing to stick it to.....LOL too funny.
,,,,I am taking the vitamins calcium and fish oil tablets are helping,
I love this site, and hope all of you continue to heal well remember to take it easy, we are still healing, slowly but we are getting there
Unread 06-13-2007, 12:19 PM

Hi everyone,
I began my period when I was 11, My mom died when I was 8, fortunatly I have a older sister that help me get the stuff I needed. I woke up in the a.m. and found a spot on my undies, I went an told my sister and I thought she was going to scream she is a woman now, thank god she did'nt. It was hard to tell my dad, it's hard to tell him but he knew it was coming. He thought I was sick, but I survived it. The last 26 years or so I have had nothing good to say about having my period. I had troubles leaking and clots.OOO the cramps were very bad, fetal position all the time. But since the TAH no more anything.
YEA!!!!!!

Anna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register