Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007 - Page 92 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007 Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007

Unread 07-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Hysterectomy dates Apr 23-Apr 30,2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmaxxxx
I started HRT (Vivelle Dot .05) and it has helped the hot flashes, but sex is still painful. I have been using Premarin Cream since 5 weeks post op. Dr. said I should quit after 3 weeks, but I kept using it and still am with same issues. So all is not well even with HRT. I tried to keep my last ovary as well. Path report said multiple cysts, and Dr. did not want to have to go back in to get it. If it helps I did read that ovaries that have cysts are more likely to become cancerous than those that are healthy - so at least we don't have to worry about that.

You are lucky. You get to take HRT. I'd give anything to be able to take it, but I went to 2 different drs. and they both would not prescribe it for me. So I have to live with the hot flashes, but the mood swings and the brain fog are the worst. I feel like a zombie with no emotions. It's an awful feeling. Maybe it will pass. I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2007, 06:41 PM

Hi Robin,

I'm sorry your appointment didn't go the way you wanted it to. You must be so disappointed. There are natural alternatives to HRT too that you might want to check out. My understanding is that soy and black cohosh, among other things can be helpful in alleviating symptoms. Check into some of the herbal alternatives and see if those would be acceptable for your health situation. I know how uncomfortable and miserable it feels without any treatment. I had to wait six weeks before I started HRT. A friend of mine had uterine cancer so she couldn't take HRT at all after her hysterectomy. She had symptoms for about three and a half years but she says at this point it's just an occasional hot flash that she experiences. Everyone's different, but I would check with your doctor on an alternative approach.

Tracy
Unread 07-06-2007, 08:57 PM

Hello Ladies -

I'm just checking in to say "hello" to all. I hope that everyone had a fun and safe 4th! I too find that I don't get to this sight as often as I did when I was home and recovering. I don't even get to check the internet each day now that I'm back at work & resuming more activities.

Underka1 - I'm very happy that you are safe after the brake problem. It must have been very scary while it was happening - even more so when you found out was was wrong!

Luvs2quilt - I'm sorry to read that you are having HRT issues. I hope that you can come to some sort of solution that gives you relief from the fog & the flashes. I remember that my grandmother suffered terribly with natural menopause. I'm not sure that HRT was an option for her. I know that she didn't take any. She always slept with a fan blowing directly on her - no matter what time of year. I remember baking Christmas cookies with her one year. It was very cold. She was wearing shorts and a sleeveless shrit and had the kitchen window open. I about froze! Many times she would have a cold wet wash cloth that she would put on the back of her neck. She always had a pad and pencil nearby and was always writing stuff down. I guess it was to help with the brain fog. They're simple things, but maybe they can help with the maddening symptoms.

Well, ladies, I've got to sign off and soak in the tub with a book (docs & my remedy of choice for clogged bartholin gland ). Just know that you are frequently in my thoughts. I'm not sure that I would feel so comfortable and confident about my decision to have the TAH if I didn't have this sight for support and to answer questions before and after surgery. Yesterday, I received the latest issue of Prevention Magazine in the mail. It was kind of funny. There was an article about unnecessary surgery and getting 2nd opinions. Guess what? Hysterectomy was 2nd on the list as surgeries you should be very wary of if your doc suggests it. I read the blurb and felt bad that someone may automatically opt for no surgery and continue to suffer needlessly. I know that surgery isn't the answer for all and that not everyone has an easy time of it, but it's sad that some people go the other way and scare women needlessly.

Have a good week!

Eve
Wearing my white suit without fear this summer!!!

TAH for multiple fibroids and irregular bleeding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2007, 07:32 PM

Hi ,
Have you all seen the new Women's Day magazine, the August issue. It has sunflowers on the cover? It has an article in it about hysterectomy's and even talks about hystersisters.com. Our temp today was almost 100 degrees which we are not used to! Everyone seems so crabby in the heat! I'd like to take my dogs for a walk but am keeping them in the airconditioning instead! How is the sex going for everyone? I still am a little scared and worried about it hurting. I don't think it feels the same!
Unread 07-07-2007, 07:53 PM

For me sex hurt the first time, then it was OK, libido was pretty good, but now hurts again and I think it is due to a yeast infection. I have never had one before in my life, but I bought some meds and I am going to use them to see if it gets better. I read that it could be due to hormone imbalance. I am on Vivelle Dot and still using Premarin Cream, so I have plenty of estrogen - but thought I would try the progesterone cream that they sell her. I read some of Dr. Lee's book so I think it would help. It should help protect for osteoporosis too. Has anyone else tried the cream - or have been told anything negative. It is all natural made from yams.
Unread 07-07-2007, 08:17 PM

I don't have a boyfriend at the moment, so I don't know how the sex part of it would be. But I'm starting to feel that dryness that everyone talks about. I went to 2 different drs. and neither one would prescribe HRT, so it's not fun having all these menopause symptoms. I never know when the hot flashes are going to come and I feel more anxious than I did before. I was told before surgery that I could take low dose HRT. After surgery it was a different situation. I have high blood pressure, but it's under control. But you know drs. They never fully explain their reasoning, if at all.

TeTe B-Yes, I did see the cover of Woman's Day Magazine. I was almost going to buy it, but I was afraid I'd read something that could have been done differently and I figured it would only make me mad. LOL.....My moods are terrible and I need something to straighten them out. So I was told to take antidepressants instead. At least that is what the 2nd gyn told me to do. They say that HRT causes strokes. Well then, why are they still prescribed? I was told I would get a dose half the amount my body uses. It's like being a car and nobody putting in the oil. That's how I feel. Tired all the time. And cranky.

I asked the dr. how long this would last. He said for at least 2 years. Maybe more. It may not mean anything to him, but it sure means something to me. I would have held off the surgery just a little bit until I could get some real answers, but I went into it thinking that if menopause was bad, there was always hormones. Well, there are hormones, just not for me. I guess I'm not the only one not being able to take them. Just wish I was warned ahead of time.

It's been rainy here. Yesterday we had thunderstorms. Today it poured quite a bit. I don't know what the weather is going to be like tomorrow. I can't really go anywhere anyway. My car needs a new transmission and it's going to cost too much, so until I get another set of wheels, I'm pretty much stuck in the house unless I have to borrow my aunt's car to go to the dr. or pharmacy or do other errands. It's been one of those weeks where everything has gone wrong.

I'm glad to hear everyone is doing well. I imagine everyone has seen the notice by now that our recovery forum is officially closed. That time went by fast.

I'm taking my calcium plus vitamin D on a regular basis now. That is, if I don't choke on one. I wonder if they could have made them any bigger? These are horse pills.
Unread 07-07-2007, 09:47 PM

Kathy posted about the Woman's Day article here. She provides a link so that you can read it online if you want to.
Unread 07-08-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Kath,

Did your doctor mention any additional restrictions beyond the normal 6 weeks due to your bladder sling. I am 8+ weeks post op and start back to normal activity, but had a mishap today when I tried riding my friends horse and he spooked causing me to use maximum pulling effort to control him. I am now feeling some pain and I am mad at myself for taking the risk. At least I did not fall off!

Pat:

Sorry for the late reply as my DH and I were on vacation. No, my doctor did not have restrictions past 6 weeks other than to do my Kegels and to listen to my body. I too have gone a bit overboard and feel a very strange sensation - mild pain and tightening. Mine came when I went from walking to trying some jogging. I would have never guessed how weird that felt when you did not keep those muscles taught. I hope you have recovered by now and are easing back into things.
Unread 07-08-2007, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I started HRT (Vivelle Dot .05) and it has helped the hot flashes, but sex is still painful. I have been using Premarin Cream since 5 weeks post op. Dr. said I should quit after 3 weeks, but I kept using it and still am with same issues. So all is not well even with HRT. I tried to keep my last ovary as well. Path report said multiple cysts, and Dr. did not want to have to go back in to get it. If it helps I did read that ovaries that have cysts are more likely to become cancerous than those that are healthy - so at least we don't have to worry about that.

Pat:

I am on ET (Premarin). May I ask...is your pain during sex caused by dryness only? I had my first flashback last night with DH of the days pre-surgery. All was going well and I had enough lubrication when "Ouch"! I used to have pain from the cervix (it was twice normal size and very tender). It is gone now so it had to be something else...perhaps just things stretching?????
Unread 07-08-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine
You may post pictures in your Hystersisters Photo Gallery. At the top right side of the pages here you'll see a "Tab" that says SUPPORT. When you put your mouse on it, one of the choices you'll see is Photos. Click there. Then click UPLOAD PHOTOS. Let me know if you have any problems uploading your photos.

Catherine:

Okay...I went and posted, Cape Cod July 2007. How do I post more than one photo for the same title (if I can)?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register