Recovery time for TVH?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery time for TVH?? Recovery time for TVH??

Unread 04-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Recovery time for TVH??

My dr told me to "lay around" for a week. Then, I could go back to work if I must but that I would just get tired really easy and would probably rather take off the 2nd week too. I opted to take off the 2nd week. My question is that I'm reading a lot here about those internal stitches and not overdoing it too early. Does anyone think that 2 weeks off of work is not enough time? I'm a teacher and when I go back I will most likely be on my feet all day unless I make some very intentional adjustments in my teaching methods...I do not want to create a bunch of scar tissue that's going to cause major problems later on....what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Recovery time for TVH??

I don't think 2 weeks is long enough recovery time for a TVH. I don't work, but I know that my dr told me I had 178 internal stitches and I shouldn't be on my feet alot in the 1st 4 weeks. This would be something I'd definately talk to your dr about. My dr. told me that average recovery time is 4-6 weeks, I was released at 5 only because I am a stay at home mom.

Best wishes

Wendy
Unread 04-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Recovery time for TVH??

Mine was vaginal as well...I don't think 2 weeks is enough either...I would say 4 minimum....Mine told me 4-6 and I go for my 6 week check up the 26th....I should be released for work then...but I still do get tired and I am still spotting....so I think you should consider at least 4 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Recovery time for TVH??

My recovery was 4-6 weeks as well./ My Dr. said no driving for 2-3 weeks too! I too am a SAHM and had loads of tummy soreness just from being up taking care of my 3 yr old, and I couldn't imagina having to stand for that long! Then my 5-6 week was the worst for me, maybe due to being off pain meds, and thinking I was "Wonder-Woman" (which I found out that I was NOT!...lol) plus lack of sleep caught up with me, it just seemed like it all came down on me around that time frame! I personally think you need at least 4 weeks, then maybe try to return on the sitting down basis! Hope this helps a little! Hope you have a speedy and uneventful recovery! HUGGGS!
Unread 04-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Recovery time for TVH??

hi mathteach! i had a TVH on april 11th. my post op appt is may 9th and a return to work on may 14th (4 weeks). as the other sisters have said, there are a boat load of internal stitches, internal healing. being a teacher and her feet, i would revisit with your doctor.

~april07
Unread 04-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Recovery time for TVH??

I had TVH and my dr. told me I could go back at 2 weeks at my discretion. I'm a teacher as well, on my feet all day. No way could I have gone back at 2 weeks. Besides the physical hurts, the brain fog was really bad for me. I waited until I knew I could do my students justice before I returned, which was 5 weeks for me. I'm at 8 weeks now and this is my 4th week back. I don't regret taking the time I needed to feel really well and able to make it back. I'm still tired and hurting a little by mid-day, and have to just rest at night, but I can make it ok through my classes. Even though it was a TVH, we still had an organ removed and lots of internal healing and stitches. Also, being a teacher is more physically demading than most people think. Like I said, I'm soooo glad I waited, not just for my sake, but for my students sake as well! Best of luck!

Jen
Unread 04-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Recovery time for TVH??

My problem is that there are people who work in the school system that have had this done and they're telling me, "Oh, you'll be fine in 2 weeks!!" I'm a tad worried about it. I told my husband about the things I'm reading here (he is the vice-principal where I teach) and he said that if I don't feel like going back that he will not let me go back.
He also said that if I do try to go back and decide I'm not ready that it will be ok too--I will just stay home.

I feel pretty good right now (1 week out) but not anywhere even close to standing up for long periods of time.
Unread 04-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Recovery time for TVH??

did you have an abd hys or vaginal??
Unread 04-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Recovery time for TVH??

I think people forget sometimes that everyone heals in thier own time, and sometimes we just have to stand up for ourselves and where we are at in recovery, regardless of what kind of surgery we had or where others "think" we should be. You also have to take into account what was happening pre-op. I know for me, this was my 3rd surgery in 5 mos. and I had been fighting multiple problems and a chronic infection since last Oct. I was just plain worn out physically and emotionally by the time the TVH came around, and then post-op I knew I was just not going anywhere in 2 weeks time! It has been said many times on this site, you only have one chance to heal right, and it is better to listen to your body rather than other's opinions of where they think you should be. Just my =)
I'm glad your Dh is supportative (and how nice he is VP at school!) Even with TVH, it is still lots of internal stitches and healing. I wish you best of luck with whatever you decide! Keep us updated.
Unread 04-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Recovery time for TVH??

I know for me thought that bc I was only 28 I was going to POP back right away....Not so much it has been tough I was fighting endometrosis before and had surgery in Feb also so I am kinda over it...
Mine was a total abd and its been rough and i am 6 weeks out and still having tough days

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register