Did anyone watch "House MD" last week? (children mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did anyone watch "House MD" last week? (children mentioned) Did anyone watch "House MD" last week? (children mentioned)

Unread 04-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Did anyone watch "House MD" last week? (children mentioned)

House had a case where two children were very ill and they couldn't figure out why but they were dying. House solved the case when he realized that the father was using testosterone cream. He said that transdermal hormones emit 30% from the body and that whenever he touched his children he was exposing them to these hormones. The boy had become aggressive and the girl had a tumor on her ovary. Their little bodies could not handle these excess hormones. This really got me thinking. I don't know how true this is but I've been watching the show for a long time and, being in the medical field myself, have found them to be pretty true to form medically speaking for the most part.

This has me a little concerned. My doctor has never mentioned anything like this to me. I'm sure my husband wouldn't mind a little extra testosterone but I am adopting an infant soon and now I'm really concerned that I need to stop my hormone cream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2007, 03:35 PM

Carol, Don't know anything about the cream transfer, but congratulations on your adoption of a new baby. That is great!!!!!!!!
Unread 04-23-2007, 03:39 PM

Thanks. We're still working on the homestudy paperwork but hope to be on the waiting list soon.

I have been "googling" and there are reports of children being exposed. There was a report of a small male child growing breast buds from exposure to his mother's estradiol cream. From what I've read, the patches don't have this risk. I sure hope they come up with a testosterone patch soon. I certainly don't want to risk exposing my child to hormones!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2007, 03:57 PM

Hi Carol!

One thing to remember when using any hormone creams is to apply them where they aren't going to rub off on another person or pet. If you used something like Estrasorb, EstroGel or a compounded cream and rubbed it on with your fingers or hand, you'd want to be sure to carefully wash your hands with plenty of soap and water afterward to avoid that potential to transfer the hormones.

You can find some "safe zones" on your body by looking over this link. I've never had any transfer problems with my hormone creams. Keep in mind that we're using lower doses of testosterone than the man in that episode of House MD. Also, he was using mega doses which he somehow obtained without a prescription.

You're right to be concerned but used properly you should be okay.

s
Unread 04-23-2007, 04:11 PM

Hi April Dawn!

I use it on my wrists right now, only a couple drops two times a week. I don't even use my hands I just put it from the bottle onto my wrist and rub my wrists together. Of course, the wrists aren't going to be an appropriate place after the new addition comes. I am definitely going to discuss this with my doctor. I sure will hate to give up the cream because it helps me so much but I can't take a risk like that. Maybe if I apply it to a different area and find a way to do it without using my hands it would be safe. Definitely something to investigate further.
Unread 04-23-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinachick
Maybe if I apply it to a different area and find a way to do it without using my hands it would be safe. Definitely something to investigate further.
Maybe you could ask your doctor about putting it under your bicep?

And like April Dawn said, the concentration is much lower than the hypothetical "House MD" scenario. If you wash your hands thoroughly after rubbing it in, you will be fine.

As a side note, my doctor stressed the importance of washing your hands by telling me the following story. She had a patient who didn't wash her hands after applying her bi-est/progesterone compounded gel. She would then handle her cat and pet it. After a few months, the cat exhibited signs of being in heat, even though it was snorfleed!

And yay for adopting a baby! How wonderful!
Unread 04-23-2007, 04:29 PM

"even though it was snorfled!"

You crack me up!!! Maybe that is what is wrong with my crazy cats. lol They are "snorfled" too but they sure act crazy when the female kitties walk by the window. I do wash my hands always after applying or touching any hormones, but maybe there is transfer anyway.

Thank you for the well wishes:-) It's very excited and very nerve wracking! I'm 41, never a mom (except to furkids), so this is going to be an adventure for sure.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register