How do I explain it to DH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do I explain it to DH? How do I explain it to DH?

Unread 04-25-2007, 07:47 PM
How do I explain it to DH?

I know he thinks he's helping, but he's planning to take me for a car ride to get out of the house. I told him no way was I getting in a car. He said I wasn't allowed to drive for 2 weeks and nobody said anything about not being a passanger. My dr. told me they don't want you driving because they don't want you in an accident. I DO NOT want to go anywhere. It's too soon. How do I explain it to him though even though he knows I'm going stir crazy? A car ride would hurt my tummy I would think. He's sweet, but I'm really afriad to go anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2007, 07:57 PM

Easterlily-

Explain to him after only 5 days everything is still really sore inside and any bump in the road would be so painful for you. Tell him you love that he is trying to do something to make you happy but you would much rather watch a movie with him from the safety and comfort of you couch or bed. If you do venture out remember your belly pillow. Good luck.
Unread 04-25-2007, 08:00 PM

Tell him that one of your "hystersisters" that lives down a long bumpy road, that bumps in the road and sharp and/or fast turns hurt too. You never realize how many things you have to use your stomach muscles for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2007, 08:35 PM

(((Easterlily)))
It's common for riding in the car to be uncomfortable. I'm sure he means well, but I think you're wise not to take him up on the car ride. It's hard to imagine just sitting and riding being painful, but it could actually make you feel worse.
I would suggest a nice walk, to the mail box maybe slowly, and that's only if the mailbox isn't too far away. Seriously just getting out in the yard for some fresh air will do you a lot of good. Don't push yourself, but walking is one of the best things you can do for yourself right now.
You can tell him you had it recommended by your new sisters who have been there-done-that.
's, Rita
Unread 04-25-2007, 11:18 PM

When I went to my 2 week post op appt. I was so sore from the ride. I had a tummy pillow and the ride was 1 hr roundtrip...our road is bumpy but the rest wasn't. It felt like my insides were all jiggled around and I actually took an extra pain pill that night because I was so much more sore.

Maybe you can read these posts to hubby. I am 4 weeks post op now and don't quite feel ready for a ride yet.
Unread 04-26-2007, 04:58 AM

Tell him it's just not safe this close to your surgery. My surgeon told me that one of the main reasons they don't want you riding in a car too soon is that a sudden stop (not even an accident) can do lots of damage because the seat belt pressure is usually near where your incision (if AH) or inside stitches if (VH) are. A sudden stop puts a lot of pressure on the abdomen because of the seat belt.
Unread 04-26-2007, 07:30 AM

I had to go to the doctors at 1 week to have my staples removed. It was the longest ride of my life (in reality only 20 minutes one way)

I was told not to wear the seat belt for 4 weeks post-op by my doctor.

I agree with Preciouspearl - take a nice (short) walk, sit outside together in the sunshine, watch the sunset. tell him you want a "date night" - rent a movie and cuddle on the sofa.

I promise, in another week or two - you will feel up to a carride, even walking around a park or mall.

YOU know what you feel up to doing - don't push yourself and don't do anything that might jeopardize your recovery.

Tell DH that you know he means well - but "not tonight honey" and thank your lucky stars you do have a loving and supportive Hubby - some Sisters do not. I do! Mine has been great. In fact I am 11 weeks out and we are going to Williamsburg next weekend for a romantic get-away. (The Queen of England will be there at the same time - do you think she will have tea with this Queen??)

Hang in there - it does get better!

Mary Beth
Unread 04-26-2007, 10:56 AM

6 days post-op is alittle soon, But at 6 days post-op I had to go to the Dr. for a minor complacation.( 'roid ) (sorry I know TMI) I took a pain pill before I left. It was alittle bumpy, but it felt good to get out. We even stopped at the Dollar store on the way home. Then I took a 2 hour nap. You know your body.
If you do go out, put a pillow under your seatbelt and take a pain pill before. I can tell the changes in how I feel daily.(16 days post-op)
good luck
JCEE
Unread 04-26-2007, 11:03 AM

I took a car ride 11 days after surgery, to get out of the house, see some sights, get some fresh air. I enjoyed those aspects of it, but it was uncomfortable at times, I was nervous and I was really tired afterwards.

This may be just a wee bit too soon. If you are feeling so nervous about it, that probably means it is too soon. When you DO get out, make sure to take plenty of pillows to prop up on. I sat in the backseat, didn't wear a seatbelt, and wedged myself comfortable with pillows.

Your husband means well, but tell him you are way too sore to be at the mercy of potholes and crazy drivers.
Unread 04-26-2007, 01:30 PM

I took a ride at 4 days postop, our sports car club had a "winter tour", and I only needed help from DH getting in and out of our sports car, but the seat was actually very comfortable. The drive was about 220 miles, the only painful part was when we stopped at the local racetrack so everyone could do a few laps - I didn't go around the track, but sitting up on the picnic bench seats for 30 minutes brought me to tears! As soon as I got back into the car seat I was fine. I did take a pain pill right then, but I was fine for the rest of the drive.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register