Pressured to participate in a community "Biggest Loser" contest. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pressured to participate in a community "Biggest Loser" contest. Pressured to participate in a community "Biggest Loser" contest.

Unread 04-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Pressured to participate in a community "Biggest Loser" contest.

I live and work in a very small, rural community where I am an administrator. Several agencies/departments have put together a "Biggest Loser" contest that starts May 1. I have been asked by my staff to participate on one of the teams.

Now - don't get me wrong -- I have a "whole adult" to lose. I've battled that 1/2 of me most of my life. I call her my "alter ego!" No joke.

I was just released by doc and will return to work on 5/7. I am not ready for competitive weight-loss or public weigh-ins! How do I communicate that to my staff/others without seeming pathetic? The elephant's in the room - so to speak - my weight problem is no secret!

I do intend to get in the pool starting tomorrow (I love to swim) and on the treadmill and exercycle in the next week or 2 (right now they are covered in dry-wall dust and there's much work to be done before I can get to them).

I want to support my agency and will - in spirit, but I'm feeling like the return to work, the stress of moving an entire building to a new facility within the next 6 weeks, and the continued recovery from this major surgery are excuse enough. Do you agree or am I being pathetic?

I'm hoping I'll end up losing a few pounds as a by-product of all of the above, but just am emotionally not ready add any undue pressures. What do you all think?

How do I tell them I'm not doing it? I'm at a loss. And please don't just say - "tell them what you just told us" - because you're not them. It's not the same. I'm "the boss" and should "set the example."

Any words are welcome -- all perspectives. I may just read and not respond, but I'll take them all in ... thanks, sis!

colls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2007, 09:54 PM

What about just telling them that you will support their efforts but that at this time you can't participate as your Doctor has suggested that during recovery you should not try to lose weight but to simply maintain. I have been doing Weight Watcher and that is exactly what my Doctor recommended. I lost 25 lbs. before surgery and now am just working on maintaining. It is very difficult to lose when not allowed to exercise. Good luck to you. Don't be pressured into something that isn't right for you!
Unread 04-27-2007, 09:58 PM

Hi (((colls)))
I would expect your dr wouldn't okay such an idea. I know I would never dream of doing it knowing what I know about recovery now. When you are released you can begin to slowly work into your old routine. The activities you have mentioned outside of the competition are more than I can imagine you doing very easily.
I think you need to tell them you would love to do it, but you aren't physically able. You have to begin slowly and listen to your body as you go. This is no time to push through pain and do something like this for weight loss. You have your healing to take into consideration and that's still taking place. I hope you can stand strong and they don't give you grief over this. Let us know how it goes.
's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2007, 04:29 AM

I agree with Precious Pearl and Karen. You can tell them that at this time you cannot participate because you are still on the road to recovery. You can also say that a full recovery takes more than the 4-6 weeks off from work. It is an ongoing process and you do not want to jeopardize that.
Take care and take it easy.
Unread 04-28-2007, 08:25 AM

I agree with everyone else Your body is working over time to heal from your surgery. When you start working out hard your body turns it's energy to healing the muscles you don't want to confuse it and further delay the healing process.

This is what I would say... (I have no problems saying no btw) "I have given this much consideration. I think this is a wonderful idea and an activity I would happily participate in if I was at my optimal health. However in this early recovery stage it is not the best time for me to take advantage of this opportunity.If this was ____ months from now, I wouldn't give it a second thought."

That's pretty much my standard no, just changed to fit the circumstances... good luck...heal well...
Unread 04-28-2007, 11:13 AM

Have you asked your Dr. about it? At my last Drs. appt. He asked me if I had lost weight, (I am about 30 lbs over weight). I was so proud to say yes, 10 lbs! He said he didn't want me to loose weight, I need the nutrition to heal. I said that I was eating really healthy, just smaller portions and he said not right now. It floored me, I thought he would be as pleased as I was!
Unread 04-28-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by distracted1
"I have given this much consideration. I think this is a wonderful idea and an activity I would happily participate in if I was at my optimal health. However in this early recovery stage it is not the best time for me to take advantage of this opportunity.If this was ____ months from now, I wouldn't give it a second thought."
Can I steal that? Thanks!

Like I said, I'm 2x my optimal weight - my "alter ego" is the "other adult" I need to lose (mentally and physically!) So I intend to work on losing weight - and have not GAINED ANY since surgery which I think is a miracle considering the inactivity and boredom and my tendency to fill boredom with, well, you know...

Thanks for the advice, all. Keep it coming. All perspectives -- even those of you who are thinking... "Get your lazy a** off the couch and do it! Even if you only lose 5 pounds, you lost 5 pounds!!!

The good old fashioned "Catholic Guilt" has me dreading making the response to the request (thus far it's just an email from my only male employee). I know what's best for me and will take care of myself on both fronts. I won't compromise my health to compete for weight loss, but I will work on my weight.

I have already begun to make healthier food choices and the pool's finally open which makes my favorite activity (laps) readily available. Walking in the pool is also good and how I skim - from inside, with a net, walking around in circles... I always lose some weight in the Spring/Summer. It's the easiest time of year to lose.... It starts with TV shows' season finales! And Winter's the easiest time to put it on. It starts in October with Halloween candy! The rest, as they say, is history!!!

It's just those d*** public weigh-ins that have me freaked!

Did I mention the contest ends on the last day of my 40th year?

colls
Unread 04-28-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGlassGal
Have you asked your Dr. about it?
My doc cleared me for EVERYTHING -- NO PHYSICAL RESTRICTIONS -- 3 days ago. Just told me to ease into things for another week or 2 and avoid stress (haha).

He's my biggest cheerleader in the weight loss thing, except he's a realist and wants me to just ask both my "ego" and my "alter ego" to both lose a little weight. He believes neither of them has to "go" and that losing "that whole other person" isn't a reality. We talked about drugs (his words: "all cr*p"), surgery (not advised by him or of interest to me) and counseling (I'm gonna seek a referral from my GP, I think). He's very easy to talk to and I was disappointed when he said he'd see me next year!

Thanks for the support.

colls
Unread 04-28-2007, 02:06 PM

I think its perfectly justifiable. You are still in recovery!

Distracted1 worded it perfectly.

Would you feel better just sending out an email with your explanation...rather than making a public speech on the first weigh in day? (I know I would LOL). Perhaps you could add a thankyou to everyone for their support during your recovery "so far".

I sort of know how you feel. I have been having back problems since my op - and having poor tummy muscles sliced open yet again. Nothing major..but a lot of stiffness, and some sciatia pain. My job involes leaning over all day too which doesn't help. Anyhow, everyone wants me to bloody exercise . I am not stupid, I know I need to get some pilates happening...but at this stage I still hurt to roll over in bed sometimes...and the last thing I need to do is 100 situps/crunches a day .

Take Care of yourself
Unread 04-28-2007, 02:31 PM

Even if your doc has cleared you for all activities, I definitely agree it's too early to consider participating in something like this. Your body still needs to heal and to rest, and if you can develop some smart eating habits now and do the kind of movement that you enjoy, that's enough for now. Just tell them that with the surgery so recent, you simply don't feel ready for something like this. That's all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register