Estratest Users...Your Experiences Please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Estratest Users...Your Experiences Please Estratest Users...Your Experiences Please

Unread 05-02-2007, 05:35 AM
Estratest Users...Your Experiences Please

Hi,

Had an appt. this past Monday and after discussing much with this new doctor, she believes I will do best on Estrastest FS. She also did a complete blood work-up, something my old doc never even suggested doing for me. I don't know how I will do on th Estratest, but am, so far, really happy with this new doctor!

Anyway, I started the estratest yesterday. I felt pretty loopy all day, just completely exhausted. Also I noticed that around 3 pm the hotflashes started up. Not too bad, but they got worse throughout the evening and at night I had horrible night sweats. I woke up to a pool of water on me again.

I'm wondering if this will balance out, or if I'm already showing signs of needing more estrogen. I didn't have insomnia, but woke up from the sweats. The doctor said to give it a month.

Just hoping others can share their experience with Estratest, how long it took to work well for you? Did you actually get some libido back? I've read about weight gain on it. I'm already 15 lbs heavier since surgery so don't want to gain anymore.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2007, 06:33 AM

I took Estratest FS for quite some time and it was the first thing that made a marked improvement for me. I believe it was the testosterone that helped the most, as I had already been on estrogen alone. What I found with estratest is that the ratio of est. to test. in it was not right for me - I've heard of this from others, too. So I ended up using a .05 vivelle dot and taking Estratest FS every day. Eventually I added Prometrium 100mg nightly and did very well. Ultimately, I stopped using Estratest in favor of upping my Vivelle dot to .10 and using compounded testosterone cream. I believe the testosterone cream works better for me and I can live with the vivelle dot. I kind of feel that I'm on the edge of low estrogen at times, because this change represented a slight decrease in total estrogen for me, but I don't want to overdo it with estrogen. I just turned 48 and I suppose it's about the time I should start ramping down my hrt a bit to mimic natural menopause. My doctor also presumes that some of the testosterone I'm taking is being converted to estrogen. I guess in the end, our bodies do what they need to do with what we give them. Which brings me to an important point for you - it takes weeks and weeks for your body to sort this stuff out. When you start something new, you will likely feel worse at first due to the symptoms caused by fluctuations and this sorting-out process. Which is actually good news, because it means that it's having some effect on you. Your doctor said to give it a month - the pharmacist who compounds my testosterone said two months - darn if he wasn't right - almost to the day.

Testosterone can make you gain weight in the middle - but it can also help you to have more muscle vs. fat. If we were in natural menopause, we'd be getting our menopots anyway - so we've just got to watch what we eat and get exercise.

Testosterone is very powerful stuff - it can be very important for oopherectomized women, but it can be easy to take too much and the side effects are not good. I did have a bit more trouble with acne when I took estratest - I would get some blemishes on my scalp, of all places. I much prefer the cream, because I can back down my dose easily to avoid any side effects.

All in all, Estratest was totally a net gain for me - mood, energy, sleep, libido. If it was the ONLY choice I had for testosterone, I'd still be taking it.

Give it a month or more - think about adding estrogen if necessary.
Unread 05-02-2007, 09:12 AM

I totalliy agree with the reply above. I started with Estratest and noticed some improvement. I also needed a little more estrogen and a little less testosterone so opted for the oral estradiol and the testosterone cream. I now only use the cream once a week to 10 days. It supports my energy and libido without any side effects. I really prefer having the 2 ingredients separated.

Everyone is different and you will have to just keep experimenting to find the right thing for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register