Fibroids - How Large is Large? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids - How Large is Large? Fibroids - How Large is Large?

Unread 05-02-2007, 07:07 AM
Fibroids - How Large is Large?

I need to vent!!! My doctor is starting to concern me. She keeps saying "this thing (and there may be others with it) is so big. It's so big that I may need to do a vertical cut; it's so big that she is having oncology backup during the surgery; so big, it must have grown fast. How big is SO BIG. Mine is 11x10x5 cm. I see posts from women who have bigger. I keep telling her that I haven't felt well for some time and probably had this fibroid and just didn't complain about it. She's not my primary gyn. I usually see the mid-wives for my annual, so she really doesn't know me. She really made me crazy yesterday; I left her office in a tiff! I did see an oncologist and his opinion is that I could live with this fibroid and it's not at all life-threatening (although he didn't recommend that since he could see how uncomfortable I am.) So I have an oncologist making me feel better and a surgeon making me feel like I need an oncologist. Oy Vey! This cannot happen soon enough. And then yesterday she's still trying to convince me to let her take my ovaries. I'm keeping them unless they are diseased. Again, under advice of the oncologist. I cannot believe her attitude. Maybe she was just having an off day but I sure didn't appreciate it. I guess I'm used to the more nurturing ways of the mid-wives. Surgeons can be very myopic at times. Thanks for letting me vent. I guess I'm just getting antsy and ready for this to be over with. My DH has been wonderful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2007, 03:14 PM

cookmac2, Hugs to you! We will get through this! I hope that your relationship to your doctor can improve by the surgery day. Well one good thing is that the oncologist will be there just in case and maybe he/she can calm your doctor, it sounds like!

Also my ob/gyn who is doing my surgery, is not the same doctor as I usually have my annual exams with. I normally just see the internist as he also takes care of other issues for me (hypertension for one) and he does the annual physical/Pap almost as an aside. But he's thorough. After finding this fibroid had grown, he sent me for an ultrasound and then he was on vacation. So I called the OB/Gyn myself and it worked out well for me.

He had said that he will plan to take my fibroid(s) out in "shreds" -- not the most pleasant way to think about it. But for me that is how he is going to attempt the LAVH first rather than a TAH, to start. He said he will just have to see how it goes on Friday and that's okay with me.
Unread 05-02-2007, 03:29 PM

Sometimes I think the "things" that need to come out seem to take focus for the doctors and they forget that they are still dealing with a person. Hope everything goes well for you and it is good that your oncologist seems to be well rounded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2007, 04:40 PM

Thanks gals! I just love this website. Hugs and prayers to all of you. There was another thread started today with the same topic. We're not alone, that's for sure.
Maria
Unread 05-02-2007, 04:55 PM

Maria, Good luck with your surgery. I had to have the TAH due to large fibroids,etc. I kind of didn't want to know how big they were but have a friend who is a doctor and she said one of my fibroids and I had many was the size a normal uterus should be. I'm so glad to have had the surgery and had a good recovery. I have an 8 inch incision and figure it's a battle scar that I'm proud of...Lorri
Unread 05-26-2007, 06:59 PM

So, Maria, "How big was big?" Did you ever really get that question answered?

I am starting to wonder if I should be concerned about a conversion right in the middle of my gyn doing a vaginal.

The size of my uterus/fibroids have not really been a topic. So, I have no idea "how big...is big." But I would like to know. I did a search on the internet and found some info but not enough to give me a good idea.

I do have a suspicion, however, that if a woman is looking "pregnant" and she is not...that is probably considered big. Anyway, now that surgery has passed for you , I was just curious to know if you had the question answered?
Unread 05-28-2007, 09:19 AM

Hi cc - Well, my uterus was the size of a 16 week pregnancy. The fibroid was 11x10x5 cm and weighed about 1/2 lb. Now, I thought that was light but my doctor confirmed that a 1/2 lb tumor where is doesn't belong is quite hefty. (I weighed a tomato at the supermarket and it was dense.) My surgery went amazingly smoothly, thank God. I guess what they get concerned about is the pliability of the uterus. Mine was incredibly easy to work with and she didn't expect that. I have an 8" horizontal incision and the surgeon expected to have to go vertical, but she was a pessimist from day one. They also didn't have to retract me much given the pliability of the uterus so that helps with recovery. Her concern about the size was that it grew too fast, but as I said in a previous post she was not my primary care gyn (I always saw the midwives) so she really didn't have a history with me. I knew I wasn't feeling "right" but my symptoms were so subtle I didn't have a clue until my bladder got involved.

So, I'm on the mend. Heading to the 3 week mark and starting to feel a lot stronger every day. I only wish I could sleep better but maybe as I become more active during the day I'll sleep better at night. Getting really sick of Nick at Night reruns!

So, stay calm. And be very patient with your recovery. I keep waiting to feel better immediately and forget that this is a major procedure and it will take time. Good luck; it'll be over before you know it!

Maria
Unread 05-28-2007, 09:38 AM

hi cc and cookmac- i believe by comparison, these are not big fibroids. Mine is only 8x8x5, which is about 2 inches square. definitely not something u want hanging around, as your doc says. Funny how some women have them the size of grapefruits and never have any problems, then theres my whimpy little thing that causes so much bleeding its unbearable. i guess maybe "location, location, location"!? it was good to know size in relation to what week pregnant. so many arcticles refer to pregnancy stage and i could never find info on what size fibroid related to how many weeks... thanks.
cc - you're going in soon, as am I. Good luck!!!! i'm a little anxious, but feeling better as i talk to people that say "it's great - and easy". finding humor helps! keeps things on the light side.
Unread 05-28-2007, 09:39 AM

I'm no good with measurements--especially metric. Mine's the size of a football or a six-month pregnancy. They call that "very" on the largeness scale.
Unread 05-28-2007, 01:13 PM

Thanks Maria, for getting back to me on this and for your encouragment.

Yes, Lisa, we are in the same week. I'll be praying for all my June hystersisters.

Arlynn, yeah...I would call that large.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register