Still in need of tlc twelve weeks recovery from TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still in need of tlc twelve weeks recovery from TAH Still in need of tlc twelve weeks recovery from TAH

Unread 05-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Still in need of tlc twelve weeks recovery from TAH

I'm into my twelth week recovery from TAH on February 8th. This was a very important episode in my life and as far as I'm concerned I'm still in recovery. I have returned to work and resumed most of my leisure activities. However I over did things at the weekend and ended up in bed. I still experience pain from my scar. Are all these experiences normal? Do others who are at the same stage in their recovery feel like me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2007, 09:45 PM

Hi there, I am not as far along as you but I have read other posts where the sisters say it takes 6-12 months to feel normal again.

We went thru major surgery and we all heal differently but I don't think its abnormal that you are tired or have a little pain if you do too much. Your body may be telling you it still want to take it easy for a while.

Remember you are still a princess..

Maybe a sister who is as far along as you can give some input.
Unread 05-03-2007, 11:26 PM

When I had my TAH my doctor told me it takes 6 months to a year to be completly over this surgury. I think it just depends on the person and their ability to function as to how long it takes. I think what you are feeling is just a normal part of recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2007, 06:32 AM

Hi,

I'm just over 9 months post TAH. I was in tears at the 11th week because I couldn't understand why I was hurting so much. I couldn't wipe the kitchen bench tops down without having pain afterwards. At my 5 week post op appointment when I shuffled into to see my doctor, she told me she expected me to have a slow recovery due to me going through extremely heavy bleeding and pain for such a long time prior to my op, so I accepted the fact and allowed my body the time to heal.

I'm just over 9 months post op now and only started to use my upright vacuum cleaner a month ago. I was so happy as it was the one thing I couldn't do as far as housework goes*S*

Everyone recovers at their own pace, listen to your body and allow it to heal. It takes 6 to 12 months for some to recover fully from a hysterectomy.
Unread 05-04-2007, 07:33 AM

Hi Bagbus - Sorry you are still in pain but I think a lot of us are still not 100% from that week. My dr also told me I would not be completely healed for at least a year. It is frustrating. I still have a lot of pulling where my incision is and sometimes a little burning. We are not like some who are better in only a few weeks. I also know the women who have had their's by laparoscopy (sp) seem to do much better.
Take care and have a great weekend.
Nanette
Unread 05-04-2007, 09:26 PM

I had my TAH/BSO on 2/5. My energy level is much better but I still have a very tender spot under my belly button. I asked Dr's nurse and she said probably scar tissue. I'll wait and see if it improves and then see the doc. I still have strange tugging sensations around my incision area and am numb in some areas.

As the work week wears on I tend to get more and more sore. I am in sales so in and out of car all day. I am still taking Aleve 2x daily to help with swelling and pain. Some days it works better than others.

Bagpuss, we all heal at different rates, sounds like what you are experiencing is the same as many of us. We have to remember this is major surgery and just takes time to recover from.
Unread 05-05-2007, 02:36 PM

Bagpuss, I'm 6mos. post op, and things are going well...6 to 12 mos. was what I was told by a woman I know, my doctor said 4 weeks til I could go back to work, etc etc etc. I found I had to take things very slow and easy, and things eventually got better. Things like lifting heavy bags of groceries, shoveling off the car, and such, we're things I had to ask for help with. If I did too much, I would be in pain that night, maybe the next day or two even! I don't need much help with anything now, and am feeling pretty good! Take a deep breath, and know that you're on the right path. All the best to you.
Unread 05-05-2007, 02:53 PM

Thanks everyone now at least I know what I am feeling is normal. Hugs to all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register