Functioning w/o ibuprofen? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Functioning w/o ibuprofen? Functioning w/o ibuprofen?

Unread 05-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Functioning w/o ibuprofen?

I am less that a week now from surgery so I was told not to take advil/ibuprofen. It is just Tuesday and I am not doing well. It seems my pelvic pain has become this general achey-ness. Some of it might be - always wanting what you can't have but I just don't feel good. Maybe part of it is knowing it is going to be over soon. I am trying to work all week and take a pain pill after i take care of my family. I can't function at work on pain meds - mostly because I am out and about all day meeting clients.
Is there an alternative or do you think the pain could be something else. It is hard to believe sometimes that this surgery may make the pain go away - i can't remember not hurting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2007, 01:07 PM

Check with your doctor since Tylenol may be permitted. It supposedly doesn't cause any?/as many? issues with the blood before surgery.
Unread 05-08-2007, 01:43 PM

I was told that starting 48 hours prior to the surgery, I could only have Tylenol. The reason I was given for no Alleve or Advil is that they are blood thinners. It will be rough for me too as I am now maintaining on Demorol and Darvocet. Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2007, 02:01 PM

I was given Vicodin which contains tylenol. I think the Ibuprofin thins your blood. Double check with your doc before taking anything though. and good luck
Unread 05-08-2007, 02:29 PM

I have darvicet(sp) and perciset (sp) which are tylenol based they just knock me out & keep me from working. Plain tylenol just doesn't seem to make any difference. I know it was bad for me but i was taking 4 advil every couple of hours during the day. I only have 2 more hours to work - guess I am a little whiney. sorry.
Unread 05-08-2007, 03:02 PM

Hi jennjl!

Do I understand correctly that you are taking 4 Advil every 2 hours and are less then a week away from surgery? You NEED to talk to your doctor! As you know, that amount of Advil is far more than even prescription strength because of how often you are taking it. And no one should take 4 Advil at any time without talking to your doctor first. And because you are taking so much, you could be endanger your very life not only because of the amount of advil, but because you are going to be having surgery in a few days.

It is VERY important that you call your doctor and tell him or her EXACTLY how much Advil you have taken and ask what you need to do. Your doctor may be able to give you something stronger than over the counter Tylenol (which does nothing for me either) but you NEED to let your doctor know how much Advil you are taking both because of the amount and because of your upcoming surgery.

in there and many best wishes to you!
Unread 05-08-2007, 03:09 PM

Jenn I fractured my ankle my first day back at work. Because I was taking so much motrin during the working hours. My Dr. had me break my darvocets (100/650) tablets in half and taking one half every three hours instead. This way I wasn't being knocked out by them and my BP came way down.
Unread 05-08-2007, 04:26 PM

I was having back pain prior to surgery and popping 4 Ibuprofen at a time, so I called my Doctors office and he said the only thing he would allow me to have is Tylenol Arthritis and a heat pad on the area. It worked! Apparently other things thin the blood down. Please give your Doctor a call so that you are not taking something that will affect your surgery.
Unread 05-08-2007, 04:54 PM

i am not taking that much now - i was taking 4 every 3-4 hoursbut am following drs orders. he gave me the safer pain pills it is just i can't take them & stilkl work. my pre-op is tomorrow so i will ask. thanks everyone!!!
Unread 05-08-2007, 05:04 PM

jenn, I know I felt awful just before my surgery and couldn't take any ibruprofen for a week before surgery and I wasn't on any pain meds.
It is weird now to be pain free!! I didn't know how bad it really was until it was gone. Hopefully you will feel better after the surgery. Even with the pain of abdominal surgery my husband said I hadn't smiled that much in months, and I feel better now than I have in years.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register