Hysterectomy dates May 14-May 21,2007 - Page 22 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates May 14-May 21,2007 Hysterectomy dates May 14-May 21,2007

Unread 06-03-2007, 10:23 AM
Hysterectomy dates May 14-May 21,2007

Good to know the pulling is normal. It is getting better daily as long as I don't overdo it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2007, 10:25 AM

I completely agree about the Activia yogurt! And it helps in both ways - I tend to have problems with foods going straight through me and the Activia helps to regulate that as well.
Unread 06-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Thank goodness

"OH HAPPY DAY" I had a small bm without to much pain this morning. Guess that's a good sign. Never would I have thought I'd be so happy about "pooping" as Oprah would phrase it.

My sister's mother inlaw died from an obstruction but, thank goodness I just found that out a few days ago or I would have probably gone to the ER and going there is a nightmare in itself. I am off pain meds now (which might have added to the problem) so walking around is very difficult. I don't have much help so without pain relief this is going to be one tough recovery.

You'd never know it's been 2 1/2 wks seems I should being doing much better but, as someone much wiser said, "your path for healing is one you and your body need to be on" THANKS, Calm & Ready, great words of wisdom for all of us.

Terri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2007, 10:31 AM

Is anyone having a problem with your abdominal incision that it feels like sandpaper is rubbing on your skin? I was extremely uncomfortable with that last night and today, too. I feel like I don't want anything on my skin including a light sheet ...I looked at the incision after my shower and it looks fine. Is it because it is just new skin and healing or what?

TAH/BSO May 17 , endo, ovarian cysts, andemyosis, fibroids
Unread 06-03-2007, 11:57 AM

I hear a lot of people talking about pulling, but not to much on tightening feeling, wondering if it's the same sensation were feeling just different wording?

Mine might be from my bowels not working correctly yet, I don't know? My abdomen feels so tight when I walk that it HURTS. I only wish it looked the same way externally as it feels internally. Ha Ha, oh well I'd would need a tummy tuck for that ,and thats not happening!

I wonder if a muscle relaxant would help, but with all the complications I've had I'm afraid to take anything but motrin. Is anyone taking just relaxants, not valium, I understand valium works to relax the bladder, but the tightening I am feeling is much further up.

Anyways, I'm so glad I found this site, only wish I had earlier so maybe I would have been a little more prepared (on how lousy I would feel, so maybe it's a good thing I didn't find it sooner.) No really it's been tremdously helpful to know I'm not alone and such great information sharing to know what is happening is normal. The support is so wonderful, and a great reminder to take it easy so our bodies can heal and not over do.

Thanks so much to everyone and best wishes and prayers for our continued upward progress.
Unread 06-03-2007, 12:40 PM

Pulling sensation down the left side. My surgeon says the LSO is much harder than the RSO because of the descending colon there. In my case, since I had already had the LSO, my surgery was much quicker.

Hormones: I'm really happy with my 0.1 Climara patch. RSO because of twisting, scarring, and adhesions. It all depends on what's wrong. My doctor had done everything in his power to keep as much as he could, but by the time of the second surgery, it was a goner. He's patched me because I suffered so badly on Lupron.

Healing: Everyone heals differently. We can help it along by getting enough rest and enough exercise. Our bodies need oxygen to heal, and exercise helps. Laughing helps, too. Maybe more.
Unread 06-03-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amts
Susan --- Big congrats on your son coming home. Just know that that the excitement you see in your grandson with his Daddy coming home, is healing you that much more with every smile.

I think that I'm 18 days out and doing quite well. My DH has been incredible --- does everything for me...and cooks way too well. He's semi-retired so he is home full-time right now. Kids are now out of school, which is fine they are great. So, my whole family is home full time....doesn't get much better than that!

I'm still very puzzled about HRT though. I did have TAH/BSO and not on any HRT at this time. At my 2 week appt, the doc said that she would only put me on replacement if the hot flashes became unbearable. Since then, I've been wearing the Swelly Belly band (very nice!) and have not had any noticeable hot flashes. I'm 40 yr old. Hopefully, I will not have to go the HRT route...I guess?! Why is it that some docs immediately put Princesses on HRT and others do not? Is it just old school vs new practice and the benefits and/or risks of HRT are so debatable? I suppose I should take this discussion to the Horomone forum...but, I'm really curious to see how my syster-princesses feel about this since we had our hysterectomies within the same week.

Thanks ladies and hope everyone feels even better tomorrow morning when they wake up than they do today!

~Mary

TAH/BSO 40 yr old May 15

I'm not sure either why or why not to use HRT. When I woke up from my TAH/BSO I had a Climara patch on my thigh. I am to replace it each week. My doctor is very young, she just took over from my old gyn who retired. I love her, she is very compassionate with a wonderful bedside manner. She has also studied natural remedies in addition to traditional medicine, so I need to ask her how long I will be on HRT.
Unread 06-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Hormones or Not

AMTS, I'm older than you are by 7 years and I'm taking estrogen. I'm glad I did the HRT.

I couldn't get out of the hospital fast enough. Had my two week check up and talked the doctor in letting me go back to work at least part time. I'm feeling fine and wanting to do things here at the house that I really shouldn't be doing. So I'll just sit at my computer when I get to work and won't want to dig up weeds out of the flower beds and wash the front of the house and things that might cause problems. We will see how it goes.

Over all I strongly incourage HRT.
Unread 06-03-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganlady
I feel like I don't want anything on my skin including a light sheet ...I looked at the incision after my shower and it looks fine.
You know, I think I had/have the same kind of sensation and somewhere in my wanderings on this site there was other discussion on the feeling of super-sensitivity at the skin level. If I could think of the wording, I would do a search on it, but alas, I'm suspicious that they removed parts of my brain with that uterus. hah.

I was kinda thrown for a loop (pain is not supposed to INCREASE as time passes) when the area around the incision got so sensitive I could not even run my finger across the skin without pain. It seemed to be in the areas of the most swelling. The good news is that the hyper-sensitivity is dramatically diminishing. Wish I could say the same about the swelling, but then again, I wish I hadn't had that fried chicken last night

L
TAH, 4 mos Lupron, fibroids, adenomyosis - kept ovaries
Unread 06-03-2007, 04:18 PM

I put off my surgery until I was mostly through menopause - I chose to live with some fairly awful symptoms in order to avoid the sudden menopause earlier surgery would have caused. Anyway, I didn't/won't be going the HRT route because, given my medical history and the fact that my menopause symptoms were more toward the annoying end rather than being life-disruptive, my doctor and I agreed that it would be best FOR ME to forego the hormones. Since surgery, I'm still experiencing some hot flashes, no more or less than before surgery as far as I can tell, which is odd to me given my ovaries are no longer with me.

HRT is a highly controversial topic and a very individual decision. I'm not surprised that our doctors have a variety of opinions, but it does surprise me that HRT would be started without a thoughtful, patient/doctor conversation? From what I understand, I don't think HRT falls under a cut-and-dried medical yes/no decision except, perhaps, for very young patients? IMHO, the person most affected by the decision most definitely should be informed of the risks and options and at least help make the decision...

Of course, I'm no doctor and can't presume to offer advice one way or the other as to HRT. I'm just suggesting that serious patient/doctor conversations seem essential.

I think if my menopause symptoms were as severe as some of my friends had experienced, I would have BEGGED for HRT, even with my medical history... aren't we blessed to live in a time/place where we have options!

Susan, who thinks she overdid it today (felt SO good this morning...vbg)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register