Hysterectomy dates May 14-May 21,2007 - Page 28 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates May 14-May 21,2007 Hysterectomy dates May 14-May 21,2007

Unread 06-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Hysterectomy dates May 14-May 21,2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyd
My doctor also said no swimming or tub baths for 6 weeks. I am dying to get in the lake this weekend but I will be a good girl and just sit on the dock and sweat. Is the bathing restriction longer after an abdominal hysto? I see some of us can swim and some can't so was just wondering.
Kathy, I was released to take regular baths at my one week appointment. I've yet to try it as I'm still a wee bit weery in my arms and want to know I can support myself without fear of falling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2007, 05:25 AM

I too was released to take a bath after my one week appointment. I had all my surgery through my vagina so I am not sure if that is the difference in why I can take a bath and you are told to hold off until 6 weeks. I have taken several baths now and it does feel good. I still am very sore though around my uretrha area and I am sure it is because of that urethra sling that was put in, but boy I hope the feeling of discomfort in that area goes away.

My doctor even gave me a clearance to take my three week vacation with family in NYC next week. I can swim in pools or in the ocean,,I just need to take it slow, listen to my body and rest when needed and not lift anything for several more weeks.

I read that some women had huge clots after their hysterectomy but I never had any of that..I wonder why some have clots and some, like myself, only had very slight spotting which is now, only three weeks out, only a light spotting.
Unread 06-06-2007, 07:24 AM

JC, I checked your profile but it didn't have much info. What type of procedure did you have? Also I wonder if age and/or childbirth has anything to do with the healing? Do you have your cervix?

I had everything out due to cancer concerns and all my bleeding has been related to that darn cuff. I'll also be 50 in 4 more months and have had 6 children. I think my nether region is just old, tired and worn out.

I've been spotting out my silver nitrate the past two days and it's getting heavier -- not a cause for concern, but I don't want to go through that whole bleeding/clotting process again -- not for the faint of heart.

Wonder if the type of procedure and/or cervix has anything to do with whether or not you can swim? The doc didn't say anything about the bacteria count in a public pool and the ocean? That would scare me as I'm still spotting/bleeding since you can sanitize your tub, but not the public swimming holes. Do you still need to wear a pantyliner with your swimsuit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2007, 07:51 AM

My entire pelvic floor collapsed due to having children. I had all my pelvic muscles repaired and my vagina and bladder tacked up. My cervix was removed but boh ovaires were left in place. I have not had any real bleeding at all and no clots whatsoever,,,I sure hope I do not start bleeding and clotting like I have read other women have had to endure. I am three weeks out since I had my surgery and I hope the little bit of spotting I did have is over.,,

I am going to be 47 next week and have endured about seven or so years of pain in my urethra area, extremely painful intercourse etc and the doctor said all that is due to having big babies with a lot of taring during delivery along with my pelvic floor prolapse. I suppose the urethra does take a good beating during childbirth but even now since the surgery and the sling is holding up my urethra I still feel uncomfortable down there,,it is not a pain but more of a discomfort type of feeling in that area.

The doctor said I am able to swim if I choose to but during my vacation next week I will not go in the ocean nor will I swim in a public pool or dare to go in a hot tub. I do take baths a few times a week though to soak my bottom area.

I had eight procdures done during this surgery which were: a rectorcele repair with muscle wall repair; a cystocele repair with muscles wall repair in that area; my bladder was tacked up; ,my uterus and cervix was removed; my urethracele was repaired with a sling put in place; my entire vagina and vagina opening was tightened and last but not least I had a labia reduction which should eliminate constant irritation and soreness as well as infections of the urethra that larger labia lips can cause.
Unread 06-06-2007, 08:03 AM

I had my TAH, BSO, cystocele and rectocele repair on 5-16-07. The actual day of surgergy went fine. No nausea, pain was controlled with IV. The next day I had excruciating gas pains that had me writhing in pain. I tried to walk, they gave me gas pills, suppositories, enemas, it was awful! I wasn't able to pass gas until the next day. I went home on Day 3. I got my suprapubic catheter removed a week later. Then a week later I developed a blood clot in my R) leg. I had to give myself Lovenox (Heparin) injections in my stomach two times a day for 5 days. And am also on Coumadin (a blood thinner). I have to go in every other day to have my blood checked to see how the blood thinner dose is doing. My leg is looking much better and is less painful each day. Hopefully I'm on the mend now and things will go better.
Unread 06-06-2007, 08:09 AM

That is one thing that scared the heck out of me and that was getting a blood clot in my legs. I had pain in my left leg a few days after I was back home and was really worried but kept moving my leg, walking it off in hopes that if it was a clot it would dissapate and go away. The pain finally went away on its own.

I am curious if other women out there have had all of these repairs done and theyare able to have sex and enjoy it. I am just so worried with all the repairs, cuts and stiches I have had that my vagina and vaginia opening along with my urethra area will cause me to have painful sex .

Has anyone else gone through all of this and can say that sex does not hurt them or that they enjoy it more then before all the repairs were made???
Unread 06-06-2007, 08:27 AM

JC, that's a great question. Have you started a new thread on the post-op where the long-term recovered women will see it? I didn't have any repairs, but my bowels were just loaded with adhesions and I had tons of scarring from 6 c-sections. Doc thinks he's fixed all my bowel woes, but I gotta tell you I still have incredible pain when the gas moves and sometimes immediately after a BM when the gas behind it starts moving around. My bladder was stuck to my utey so I'm having a little "ick" factor when I pee, but nothing like you had. You poor dear -- did they recommend sitz baths for the irritation -- you know like for an episiotomy? My goes out to you.
Unread 06-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Steel Magnolias

Someone suggested earlier that the type of surgery (vaginal lapri vs abdom cut) is the difference in our docs instructions on bathing, swimming, intercourse, etc. ~~~ I am in complete agreement with this statement. I have to admit, I want to take a sit down bath so badly. And after reading that many of you already have done so, I was tempted to do it despite my docs instructions. But, then I thought about it more and realized it wasn't worth the risk. I'm 3 weeks + 1 day post op and the doc has me on complete restriction until Jul 9th. I had TAH/BSO (abdom incision) no extra repairs....recovery is going great...only gripe at this time is trying to figure out if I need HRT or not.

You guys that had massive repairs done, God bless you! You are incredibly strong and will make it through this. And you will have great sex later! Remember time heals those wounds, you will not have stitches forever. Everyday is progress ~~~ hang in there!

~Mary
Unread 06-06-2007, 10:34 AM

Day 20, and now I know why we get six weeks off.
I've been feeling really good- almost guilty about not being at work Friday and Monday.
But yesterday and today, whoo! so wiped out by the smallest things!
Both the parole officer and I spent the entire morning in bed.
These smileys are more active than I am today.
Unread 06-06-2007, 10:45 AM

day 21 for me and like u said some days i feel like i can do anything....oh but i don't.....however today i feel wiped out...just waking up from a good nap

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register