Hysterectomy dates May 14-May 21,2007 - Page 32 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates May 14-May 21,2007 Hysterectomy dates May 14-May 21,2007

Unread 06-08-2007, 07:38 AM
Hysterectomy dates May 14-May 21,2007

Today is officially 3 weeks out for me! I find that I'm doing almost everything I did pre-op with the exception of lifting anything over 10#s and working out . I do laundry, housework, cooking, shuttling kids to autism services and therapies, went to all the end of school year events, and have family from back east here this week (they're staying in a hotel) but there's been more cooking, socializing, etc. I even went to Costco yesterday, but had my 13 yr old niece load stuff in the cart and car and unload and put it away when we got home. Tonight we're going to the Dodger game, so instead of taking my walk this a.m. I'll count that awful parking lot trek as my walk and wear my pedometer so I can chart it in my log.

I find that I do need to sneak a half hour here or there to put my feet up on the couch since I'm so tired by mid-afternoon. Without the ability to nap due to my sometimes overwhelming responsibilities to my family, I find myself so exhausted at night that sleep hasn't been a problem. I sleep with the covers sort of half on my legs and just pull them up if I feel cold at night. It's kept those evil meno symptoms at bay!!! Still getting headaches around dinnertime, but they go away with just Excedrin.

Spotting is minimal -- mostly black from the silver nitrate. I haven't had any more bleeding episodes since last weekend. A few more facial breakouts, but that could be from the moisturizer for my dry skin. All in all I feel pretty good. Just wish my bowels would settle in -- it's hard to deal with these painful sporadic gas episodes especially while in a public setting!!! Haven't taken on any work yet -- I'll wait till next week when my sis and family go back home. We really need the $ but I'm going to start with small jobs. I work on a deadline and don't want to be up till 3 a.m. with a long job when I really need my sleep.

Being a really hasn't been so bad. I hope everyone else is making progress even if its just baby steps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2007, 07:56 AM
You are doing amazing

Wow you are doing amazing. I know what you mean about the gas thing, however, I get the pain and nothing comes out. Very frustrating. I am off for the full 8 weeks as my job entails alot of physical activity. I manage two municipal pools and there is a lot of training involved , so I am not quite ready to get back in swimsuit along the 18 year olds. Not with my flabby belly.

I have started to make the beds and empty the dishwasher as well as supper, but thats it. Not ready to drive yet as problems with my bowel are holding me back. I cannot wait to go swimming.

Luckily I have an ovary so not worried yet about menapause, I am 38, so it isaround the corner I suppose.

DId you have any weird discharge from the bowel. Also I have yet to see stiches come out, like others have talked about.
Unread 06-08-2007, 08:37 AM

Chickey, I had only one episdoe of diarrhea which I attributed to a really rich and buttery (high fat) meal at a luncheon I attended last Saturday. I can get bowel pain before, during and immediately after I poo which is maddening!!! Also (TMI Warning) my stools sometimes look "creased" and almost triangular but long -- could this be from bowel swelling? I literally had my entire intestinal tract moved around while the adhesions were being excised.

I also think my IBS is coming back -- I get that feeling like, "Uh oh, don't know if I want to go out right now -- better wait an hour or so," and this makes me sad. I've had bad bowel trouble most of my adult life. Doc says he thinks he's made a new woman out of me -- including the IBS, but I'm doubtful based on how I feel right now. Hopefully that will change. Bowel problems stink! (Yeah, corny pun intended -- if I don't laugh at myself I'll cry.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Recovery from May 14th

Hi there!
I had LATVH / BSO on May 14th. I got to come home on May 16th. I hear I was the talk of the floor as I insisted that the catheter be removed only a few hours post op. It was really hurting me with the bladder already being so sensitive and compromised from the surgery. I just could not take it. I was gently advised that if I did this, I would have to getup frequently to use the restroom and I might not be able to deal with that and the cath would have to be reinserted. I was willing to take my chances.
I did great. It was a little painful of course, and the nurses could not have been pleased with me buzzing them for their help to get to the bathroom every hour, but they never let on and I appreciated that! The next morning, the doctor said he was pleasantly suprised to hear that I was up and at 'em so quickly and would release me if I wanted that day, but I wasn't quite THAT ready, so I stayed until the 2nd day am.
I hate to admit that i have overdone it, but I probably have.
Even the first few days home, I was doing little things like wiping down the counters and washing dishes and putting some clothes away - nothing heavy or serious bending though. I am a little OCD about the house and really, I did not feel that bad. I took a lot of naps and rested inbetween. I feel upset and guilty that I did not take it as easy as I should have, and I hope that I have not caused adhesions, or anything. My husband is supportive and has helped so much. It is only my fault that I am neurotic.
The biggest thing I have found with having this done vaginally, is most of my discomfort comes from sitting much at all, unless on a pillow, and even that is not for extended periods. An hour or so at most and then I have to walk a little or stand. My bottom areas just ache. And there is a lot of discharge every day that worried me. Doc said it is normal.
I started the hormone replacement, Estratest after the first week, as menopause kicked in full force and I wanted to hurt anything in my path. I was so tired from the insomnia and hot flashes! I am very happy to say that it is working great for me!
I have taken a few little outtings to dinner or just to drive around town with the dh doing the driving, which is nice.
I had to make a 5 min drive my 2nd week as the dh locked his keys in the car at the grocery. I was not ready for that and dh felt horrible, but it was just one of those scenerios that was not planned for obviously. Luckily, it was just a quick drive and I was not on any pain meds by then.
My doc said I could make little drives myself when I was ready, and I may try this weekend.
Sorry for the long post ladies, but wanted to get it all out i guess.
Any comments, or advice is appreciated.
God Speed!
Unread 06-08-2007, 12:57 PM

Morganlady - I know, it was sooooo stupid! Today I am in excruciating pain from it. I tried to use my legs mostly but it still took forever and I had to keep stopping to rest and cool down. No more work for me for awhile...period! lol

Beeasur - I am still having bladder spasms from my uterus being adhered to it but I'm not having any incontinence anymore from it. I do wake up 3-4 times at night to go to the bathroom but no leaking anymore. The first 2 weeks were bad though! Definitely talk to your doctor and request a urinalysis to be sure you have no white cells in there. That can be a cause of incontinence after this surgery as well. I had to take antibiotics for 3 days but since then, no problems aside from painful spasms.

Chickey - Because I'm an IDIOT! I'm very obsessive compulsive and if things aren't done when they should be, then I will do them to make sure things stay in order. It's pathetic. lol As far as bowels, I'm still taking stool softeners to make sure I can go and without straining. It is still very painful, mainly in my stomach, when I need to have a BM or even pass gasbut it's getting better. I haven't had any discharge. If I were you, I'd call your doctor to make sure it's normal. I've never heard of that one before. Good luck sweetie and let us know what you find out.
Unread 06-08-2007, 01:45 PM

Well, I finally broke down and called my doctor about the pinkish colored discharge I have been having. According to the nurse, it is due to the increased activity and that I need to "cool it" and focus on film review and book review instead! She said that so long as I don't have an odor or low grade fever that I should just cut down on the activity a bit and see how I do through the weekend. And my doctor will be back in the office on Monday but if I experience any fever I should call the on call doc this weekend...so.... or at least the comfy chair!
Unread 06-08-2007, 04:38 PM

Calm&Ready, I still have spasms after urinating as well. My surgery was May 16th.

Cold Flashes I've never heard of! Other then I'm usually cold but I thought that was just being a women. LOL Hope all gets better for you.
Unread 06-08-2007, 04:39 PM

Hi, my computer hasn't been working, but I feel better already just reading the posts from everyone. The support from all my sisters here is what is keeping me grounded. We are all learning so much from each other, THANKS to all.

Calm & Ready I had tried dulcolax and I thought I was either going to pass out from the pain or die. After 16 days with no real BM (she is the best doctor anyone could ask for,but I wish she would have had me on stool softners sooner) my doctor prescribed a very strong stool softner which also acts as a laxative. Even that took a couple days to work. I am hoping my bowels will go back to normal. I am still having extreme gas pains, so it's been helpful to know I'm not the only one dealing with this problem. My bowels just don't seem to want to wake up and work, after that surgery some days I feel the same way.
Unread 06-08-2007, 10:40 PM

I was released yesterday from the Dr. he said I was doing great, and my scar was shaping up nicely and it apeared I had been following his advice..I was released to drive so I went to town today, took one of the girls with me she stayed after the bus ran just *in case* I did great, only went 3 places but was beat by the time I got home, course my Dr. is so far away yesterday I left at 11 and did not get home until after 7 so I was still whipped from that. That also was a hi everyone going to bed see you later evening I told him about the twinges after peeing and I said I thought I had a infection, even though I knew my bladder took a beating in the surgery and sure enough I did. So I am on meds and it is helping. I can take a bath, but not get into the pool, so guess I will just float on a raft. I am still having twinges everywhere, and a mild discharge but he said that was normal. He did not do a vaginal. And as far as I can tell I get a free pass on that one. I can't even try to lift Michael for 2 more weeks, then just to test the waters at 2 weeks. But every day I am getting better and getting over the OMG what did I do feeling..

lori aka jaboomer
Unread 06-09-2007, 08:44 AM
surgery May 22

I am feeling very well. I hope I am not doing to much and have problems later. My only complaint is my sleep patterns. I have a hard time falling to sleep and I wake up about every two hours. I am not on an HRT.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register