new here - uterine cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new here - uterine cancer new here - uterine cancer

Unread 05-14-2007, 12:22 PM
new here - uterine cancer

Hi, I’m new here. I was diagnosed with uterine cancer (andenocarinoma) last week. I’ve met with the gyn-onc and am waiting to hear the date for my surgery. It should be within the next week to 10 days. It’s all so surreal that I don’t quite know what to feel. On the one hand I know that I should be grateful that it is such a treatable form of cancer, but on the other hand I’m thinking “why”.

Other than family history (which if pretty significant), I have none of the usual risk factors for this type of cancer: younger (relatively speaking, I’m 41), don’t take hormones, no diabetes, slim, given birth, normal periods…according to the oncologist, I’m an “odd case”. On paper it looks pretty good, but based on my consultation I’m a little frightened by what they might find during surgery.

Thanks for letting me vent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2007, 01:52 PM

vaeik,

vent away...you have a right to. I am sorry to hear that you have to go through this. there are some pretty amazing women on this site that i am sure will be along soon to leave a note for you too...some women are quite knowledgeable about this type of cancer too...I have learned a lot here. i have a case much like yours, although I am younger (28). you aren't alone, please know that. you have found a great support system here. are you having a hysterectomy or something of the sort? you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

fulky
Unread 05-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Welcome

Welcome vaeik, to the site where none of us really want to be... because of that word none of us wanted to hear...

Glad you're having a gyn-onc do your surgery because he/she will check your lymph nodes, peritonal (spelling?) wash, and is skilled at knowing what to look for during surgery.

Hopefully, the path report will come back stage 1 and grade 1 which would mean no spread and not an aggressive cancer.

However, you can't change whatever the findings turn out to be so try not to worry about what they will find. Take it one step at a time. Start by getting ready to go to the hospital. (See the thread with tips for pre-op and if you have a DH or significant other have him read the "For Men" thread as both are helpful.)

I went into surgery as if I were packing for a new adventure and we cleaned out the spare bedroom. I knew the cancer wasn't going to leave on its own so surgery was the only option. I asked for medicine so I wouldn't throw up during or after surgery and it worked well. Think this is pretty standard anymore but ask the anthesiogolist just in case.

Surgery went a whole lot smoother than I thought it would. The pain medicine worked well and after I was home, I switched to Tylenol instead of using all the prescription they sent.

I was going for walks outside a week after surgery. Walking is a key to helping with a lot of things including gas. DH helped me walk a lot during the four days I was in the hospital and that made a big difference, too.

Don't lift things. Don't even empty the water from spaghetti after surgery. Take things easy and let your body heal.

Listen to your doctor's advice and ask questions. Write the questions ahead of time and the answers down at your appointment. Take someone with you to help you remember and also to maybe ask questions you didn't think of.

Wishing you Peace that passes understanding and a smooth recovery. Feel free to private message me if you have questions.

and prayers,
Kate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaeik
Hi, I’m new here. I was diagnosed with uterine cancer (andenocarinoma) last week. I’ve met with the gyn-onc and am waiting to hear the date for my surgery. It should be within the next week to 10 days. It’s all so surreal that I don’t quite know what to feel. On the one hand I know that I should be grateful that it is such a treatable form of cancer, but on the other hand I’m thinking “why”.

Other than family history (which if pretty significant), I have none of the usual risk factors for this type of cancer: younger (relatively speaking, I’m 41), don’t take hormones, no diabetes, slim, given birth, normal periods…according to the oncologist, I’m an “odd case”. On paper it looks pretty good, but based on my consultation I’m a little frightened by what they might find during surgery.

Thanks for letting me vent

Hi
I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer 5 yrs ago at the age of 42. My dr told me that I "didnt fit the profile". I had none of the factors that would have sent up red flags when I started getting weird periods. My gyn told me that she was sure it was peri-menopause,but when the symptoms increased she ordered a few test and we were all shocked at the findings. I was staged at 1a, grade 2.

You are doing the right thing by seeing a onc/gyn. I know this is a stressful and scary time for you and your family. Ask any questins and /or PM/email and I will be happy to try to answer. Chris
Unread 05-14-2007, 06:51 PM

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate the advice and support. It's funny, even though I've done quite a bit of research and I know in my head that the odds are in my favor, it's still so unnerving. Just knowing these cells are in my body makes me so uneasy.

They are supposed to call me tomorrow with the date for my surgery. I'm scared but I'm ready to get on with it.
Unread 05-14-2007, 08:34 PM

vaiek
How was your EC diagnosed? Did you have a d and c? If so, what were the biopsy results. My d/c results gave a hint that the cells were slow growing and were not agressive. My gyn also ordered a ct scan, chest xray and lots of blood work. She also ordered a colonoscopy. She explained that endo/uterine ca and colon ca are closely related. My dad was dx with a non agressive type colon cancer twice (30 yrs apart), each time cured with surgery. The ct, bloodwork, xrays, colonoscopy all were clear. My d/c was done on a fri morning, ct and other work up done fri afternoon. The colonoscopy was done on Monday, onc/gyn appt on Wed and surgery on Sat. Everything moved very quickly. Keep us posted!
Unread 05-14-2007, 09:13 PM

Hello, Im new to this site today too.After reading your letter I was amazed, you and I are the same age and have all the same problems, I am also an "odd ball" and very scared. I had my op in jan this year, they took everything, then I had treatmenet and now they are saying Im cured.But I cant stop wondering why myself. kelly xxx
Unread 05-15-2007, 06:38 AM

Vaeik to the forum no one wants to be on but one filled with very big hearted, brave and very supportive women. It it very scary to learn one has the nasty beast. May you get your surgery date pronto as from then on you wil be moving toward recovery. I'm glad you are having a gyn/onc do your surgery as they are the experts with the experience and knowlege.
I recall becoming almost as scared of the surgery as the cancer with images of not awakening or great pain afterwards, etc.but all such worry was entirely needless.
Pls remember someone seems to be here almost 24/7 so don't ever hesitate to drop by whether to vent, ask a query or when just a hug might help. I'll be keeping you in thought and prayer for an easy, uncomplicated surgery and recovery.
s
Unread 05-15-2007, 01:24 PM

Vaeik,
I was diagnosed also with uterine cancer in Jan of 2007. I remember it being such a surreal experience. When you have always been healthy and never had surgery. Then all of sudden you are diagnosed with the big "C" it is a shock. I think it is also hard to have the surgery when you are not having any pain. I remember thinking maybe they got the labs mixed up. Anyway I now believe that cancer affects the just and the unjust, the young and the old. There is no rhyme or reason. The good thing about uterine cancer is like you said a lot of times it is caught early and it is contained. I got through the surgery without needing radiation or chemotherapy and feel blessed about that. Though my life has never been the same, my priorities have changed. I no longer take life for granted. Finding this sight was so helpful for me getting through the surgery and recovery. There is also a book by Fran Dreschner "Cancer Schmancer" which is her autobiography of when she had uterine cancer and her recovery. Sometimes it helps to read
or talk with people who are going through what you are and have come out the other side. I you have a
uncomplicated surgery and a speedy recovery! Keep us posted.
Unread 05-15-2007, 03:42 PM

I feel much better having read some of these post - it's so true that it's hard to face surgery when you don't "feel" sick.

I'm scheduled for surgery (total w/ tubes, ovaries, etc.) this Friday (which is also my wedding anniversary - someone owes me a fancy night out somewhere down the line )

A couple of questions:
How long did you stay in the hospital?
How long where you out of work?
Will I be able to navigate stairs when I get home?

Thanks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register