Scared scared scared (and the chickens are too) (children mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared scared scared (and the chickens are too) (children mentioned) Scared scared scared (and the chickens are too) (children mentioned)

Unread 05-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Scared scared scared (and the chickens are too) (children mentioned)

Hi! I am a National Board certified school librarian who is out four weeks early because she is getting a hysterectomy, not surfing in Hawaii. I wished! My surgery is Thursday. I have NEVER had serious surgery before.

The doctor is doing it the old fashioned way: going through the tummy and getting my uterus. He's also going to look around in there at my ovaries.

I have a long history of miscarriages, bad periods, recurrent UTIs and yeast infections, painful sex, heavy periods (frequent too), etc. etc. My pain has been so bad this year, I have missed alot of school. I am 35 years old and I have had two children, who is my angel in heaven (stillborn) and my adorable seven year old.

I have just joined this website and wow, it has been a great education for me. It seems I know many women who have had hysterctomies and it has helped to locate this website. I have found humor here. I need that right now.

Questions for ya'll:
(1) I am a plus sized gal (I wear a 20 pants) and I weigh 220 on a 5 '5 medium built frame. I have a belly. This incision is going to on my bikini line - what do I need to do for it with my nice little beer gut?

(2) Toliet seat riser: good idea or bad? When I was on bedrest to have Ian, I used one and it saved my life. Should I have one?

(3) Bleeding: how long will I bleed after the hystrectomy?

(4) Catheters and I don't get along. Can I have Dr. D, my surgeon, remove the thing while I am still out? I don't want a catheter in me. I HATE THEM. THEY HURT ME. Is it standard procedure to have a catheter in you after a bikini cut in a hysterectomy?

(5) Should I get bigger size panties?

(6) Pretreatment for nausea: good idea or bad? I have NEVER EVER had serious surgery before, save my DC after my daughter was miscarried at six months and also my tonsils were removed in 1974 (I was two).

(7) Any other tips?

I am a nervous wreck. I am terrifed. I am so worked up, that I can't read - for a librarian, that's hellish. My house is ready to go, as is my family. Dr. D is keeping me in the hospital from Thursday to Saturday morn. My best friend had her uterus out the same way in 1992 and she is staying at the hospital from my admittance into preop to the time I am going home. She isn't leaving me because I stayed with her the whole time years ago when she went through this. She says I have worked myself into a frenzy and to calm down.

Thanks for any input and PLEASE pray for me.

Will I really feel like a new woman in a couple of weeks?

Thanks ya'll -

Anne in Georgia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2007, 05:24 PM

You know what...it will all be better once the surgery is done. I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy, and I am a size 22, so as for a TAH, I can't help much with that, but once you no longer have that bleeding, pain, clots etc., you will feel much better.

Sex is better, life is better, you just have to remember you are having major surgery and TAKE YOUR TIME TO HEAL! Don't rush it; get all the help you can from everyone you know. I had two miscarriages and no children, so you are blessed!

I also had my dr. perscribe me Xanax, an anti anxiety drug, so that I was nice and calm in the week before surgery. It was great! Don't be afraid to ask your dr. for help with your anxiety, that's what their there for.

I never had a cath before, so I was really freaked out, but I just didn't dwell on it and before I knew it...it was out.

Take care and it will all be better soon.
Unread 05-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Thank you!

I am on an antidepressant already (for the last fifteen years). You can't teach in a ghetto middle school with gangs without them.

I am also freaking out about the douche and enemia they said I have to do when I get to the hospital. My surgery is at noon. I have never had EITHER of these in my memory before.

The doctor and I have known each other for years. He tied my mom's tubes in 1981, goes to church with us, and took care of me during one of my early miscarriages in 1998.

I trust my doctor very much - I owe him my whole world. He saved my son's life after I started miscarrying him at twenty four weeks. (I lost my firstborn to an early birth at 22 weeks in 1991).

The doctor put me on bedrest and even though my son kept coming from 24 weeks to 34 weeks, prayers, Jesus, and that doctor, kept that baby in me until 41 weeks. My son was eight pounds, healthy, and looked like Mr. Magoo. If it hadn't been for my doctor, my son would be buried next to his sister in Kentucky.

That is the one thing I am not worried about: my doctor is the best and he told me that if I freaked out during my preop time, he was going to make me pick my switch on a peach tree and he was going to switch my legs (Its a Southern thing).

Anne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Scared Mode

I had my TAH (vertical incision, belly button to hairline) on April 10th and was terrified of surgery. Now I sit and think: all that excessive worrying wasn't necessary. My worry was that I had 2 TIA's (mini strokes) last year, and was afraid of stroking out during surgery!
Toilet seat and bigger panties YES. I had to get 4 sizes bigger and BRIEFS are better than low rise. I also have a strong dislike to catheters, but this time, didn't even know it was there. As far as nausea, I don't think "pre-treating" would help, but make sure you tell your surgeon to have a PRN (as needed) order for nausea meds in your chart. I only had minor spotting after surgery, hooray! One tip: take your favorite hard candy, it soothes your throat which will be sore and dry. I took my favorite warm "blanky". Sometimes you can feel chilled and those hospital balankets leave a bit to be desired in the warmth area. I almost lost it though when they changed my sheets. My hubby saw it going out in the arms of a worker and stopped her! I won't tell you not to be stressed, as we do worry anyway. Take it from one worry wort to another, it was easier than what I built it up to be!
Unread 05-15-2007, 08:49 PM

Anne, YES, you WILL feel better! I had a TAH/BSO 6 weeks ago and I feel like a new woman. It is hard but try to calm down, take a deep breath. Everything I worried about never happened. I feel great now, no regrets at all.

Best wishes for an uneventful hyster!

Sandra
Unread 05-16-2007, 07:30 AM

Anne,

We all understand how you feel - we've been there, but I promise life is great "on the other side"

I too am fluffy - and had a bikini line TAH/BSO in Feb. - I found that wearing a light support panty when I knew I would be walking alot helped. It kept things from jiggling. Make sure you have extra pillows to support your tummy. Have one in the car for the ride home - to hold on your tummy to keep from feeling ever bump in the road. A pillow on your tummy helps with coughing too. I like to sleep on my side - so a tucked a pillow under my tummy to support it.

I did not need a toilet seat riser or shower chair - just take your time and make sure someone is in the house when you shower the first week or so. (I told DD to call 911 if she heard a load thump and to cover me with a towel before they arrived - I did not want them to find my nude body in the bottom of the shower)

I had a little spotting at 2 weeks post-op - not enough to need a pad, just a lttile on the TP. The doctor said this was normal. I have given all my supplies to my younger sister I still find myself in that aisle at Walmart and then I go "YEAH! I don't need to stock up!" Sometimes we forget - I also still find myself checking the TP - old habits die hard.

A catheter is a good thing - don't fret over it. They usually put them in after you are asleep and sometimes take them out before you wake up. I had mine for one day - but it saved me from having to get up to go that first day. Taking it out is no biggie - just take a deep breath and try to relax. It is a whole lot less painful than what you have been through already.

I did not need larger panties - in fact I lost 20 pounds post-op I did have a bout of painful, burning skin at about 4 weeks post-op. Hated to have anything touch my tummy - Doctor said that was normal - the nerves healing. It only lasted about one week. Just make sure you have "granny panties" - the sexy thongs can come later.

Cough drops are a good thing - my throat and mouth were SO dry the first night and the hospital issued ones are terrible. Chap stick would have been nice too.

Write down all your questions and concerns - that way you don't forget anything.

I know - it is easy for me to say to relax - but it is really gonna be okay and you will feel so much better.

The Sisters are here to help you on this journey - so take advantage of their loving support.

Keep us posted,

Mary Beth
Unread 05-16-2007, 11:05 AM

It is normal to have questions and concerns prior to a hyst. And nervousness is okay, too!

It is good to hear that you have a good relationship with your doctor. He should be able to ease your mind on many issues.

Before having a hyst, you will want to make sure all of your questions have been answered and that this is the right choice for you. A second medical opinion is highly recommended.

There are pros and cons to having a hyst and not all of us feel like a new woman on the other side or find life to be great post hyst. You do need to consider the risks and talk them over with your doctor to be sure you are prepared for them. I know I sound like a wet blanket, but I was healthy and expected to have a text book hyst and recovery. I didn't. I had many complications, a lengthy hospital stay, and my GYN did not release me for six months! It was very hard on me and my family, including my boys. And to be honest, I have never been as healthy as I was pre op.

My hyst type was less invasive than yours but to answer some of your basic questions, I did not need a seat riser, I bled for three months, the catheter did not bother me at all (it was put in after I was out and taken out the next day while I was awake), I knew anethesia makes me sick upon waking up so I was given something in my IV before I woke up and I was fine.

You can click on "Pre Op" at the top of the screen and find many helpful Pre Op articles. And I wanted to let you know that we have a Prayer Requests forum where we have many women who pray for the various requests posted.

I wish you the very best and hope you find the support and information here on the site to help you during your hyst journey.
Unread 05-16-2007, 04:25 PM

Thanks all. Feel better now.
I am now the proud owner of a potty chair. Its silver and just lovely. My elderly father bought it for me and said, "Consider it an investment. In a few years, your mother and I will need it."

God bless all............. Tomorrow big day. As Scarlett said, "As God as my witness," (now my line), "I shall never have another HORRIBLE period again!"
Unread 05-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Good Luck

Good luck on your operation. I'll keep you in my prayers. I will be there in a month and too am a worry wart wondering about a catherter (spelling). I hate them..... My neighbor is an OR nurse and told me it is not as bad as I think it is. So try to think about the benefits after the fact. For me,, who has been on a lifelong period I keep saying "No more bleeding" and that brings a smile to my face..

Best Wishes,
Tina
Unread 05-16-2007, 11:52 PM

Hi Anne - my fellow hyster-date-sister! The only question I can really answer is about the catherter. They do stink and they do hurt but they are also necessary so that you don't pee all over yourself and the docs. lol From what I have been told, you'll be happy you had it at least for a bit after surgery. But when it comes to removing, see if they will apply a topical cream to numb you first. That's what my doctor does. The numbness doesn't last long but it sure helps with the pain! Good luck hun - here's to a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register