List of must haves? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

List of must haves? List of must haves?

Unread 05-17-2007, 11:03 AM
List of must haves?

Is there a list of things that are 'must haves' for the recovery time?

I was wondering if anyone used a 'donut' cushion afterward. I had one after giving birth and it was a huge help.

I'm looking for a list of things you found very helpful and while we're at it.....how about things that were a mistake.

Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2007, 11:24 AM
List of must haves?

tabitha,

My must haves in the hospital were my own pillows and body pillow. If you are talking about home I would say have everything you need to hand, good healthy food and drinks and plenty to do!!! As for the donut, I do not know what procedure you are having but I read somewhere that a donut is bad for prolapse surgery because it puts stress on the wrong area, so you might want to check with your Doctor on that one.
Unread 05-17-2007, 02:03 PM
List of must haves?

A pillow between you & the seatbelt coming home from the hospital will feel good.
And a wedge pillow under your knees at night feels good because sleeping on my side feels like something is pulling.
And another little pillow to sit on or carry around to keep the pup from jumping on me is handy.
Lots of snacks that aren't greasy or all sugary are good, too! soups, prunes, salad stuff, juices, cereal.
Get some good books that aren't real complicated because I enjoy reading but tend to doze off alot right now.
Nice soft shorts & things to wear that won't rub your incision & aren't too scary to wear to the dr's office or quick trips when you go to the grocery with your hubby. Remember walking is good for you! But no marathons for awhile.
Otherwise no special equipment!
Its no so bad! I was surprised!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2007, 05:31 PM
List of must haves?

I read 5 books while I was home and watched a movie every day....well kind of watched while I napped, I like flavored bottled water so I had plenty of that on hand..other than that I had everything else I desired already normally in the house. I wore pj's and a robe the first whole week so I got shorter shirt type that didn't tug at me anywhere and a light robe.
Unread 05-18-2007, 05:41 PM
List of must haves?

Tabitha,
Please ask your doctor before using a donut cushion, I asked mine after my a&p repair and he said it was 'counterproductive'. In other words the surgery was to keep things in and the donut has no support. Good Luck to you. Hugs.
Unread 05-28-2007, 07:00 PM
List of must haves?

Wow! I am so glad I read this post!! I'm having my A&P repair done at the end of June and I had my donut ready to go! It never occured to me that it may be a problem rather than a helpful tool. I will be sure to ask my dr. during my preop apmt late June.
Unread 05-28-2007, 08:43 PM
List of must haves?

Cold packs and heating pad. I used the cold packs right after the repair. It helps to decrease swelling. The heating pad felt good from about 4 weeks post-op on.
I used pillows for support in bed. I'm a side sleeper so I put a pillow up against my backside to rest up against and prevent DH from getting too close to my sore bum.
Michelle
Unread 05-29-2007, 07:03 AM
List of must haves?

I was told the same thing from my Doc no donut. Because of the A&P repair. I did take

my own pillow to hospital I don't leave home with out it. Not that I got much sleep in

the hospital but it was nice to be able to hug my pillow.
Unread 06-01-2007, 12:14 AM
List of must haves?

Ah ha, another pillow hugger. I can't sleep without one to hug. DH feels left out sometimes!

Same advise on the donut. You need support down there. I tore a stitch just sitting on the potty too long! A soft pillow without the hole to sit on will help you out considerably, tho. It was several weeks before I could sit without something very soft under me. I used to read 2-3 books a week and just can't seem to get my concentration back but I did love Netflix and got caught up on several series I had never been able to see. I think I have replace my book time with being here!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register