I have some ovarian cancer questions, please help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have some ovarian cancer questions, please help I have some ovarian cancer questions, please help

Unread 05-18-2007, 11:16 PM
I have some ovarian cancer questions, please help

Hi,
My mom was told she had ovarian cancer 2 years ago......she had to have a hysterectomy & go thru chemotherapy and then she was told that the cancer was gone. Fast forward to yesterday, she told me that the cancer is back. I'm so sad & so scared.

What I don't totally get tho is that they took out her uterus + ovaries + fallopian tubes, so where does it come back to? Its technically ovarian cancer even tho she doesn't have ovaries now?

It's probably a stupid question, sorry

I just don't wanna bother her right now

thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2007, 06:55 AM

dear kienna...you mom is so lucky to have you doing research for her. i'm 56, have ovca also. i'm not a medical person but i think they name the cancer for where it starts and the type of cancer cells, in your mom's case, the ovaries. sometimes there are microscopic cancer cells still floating around the abdomen. your mom has a recurrence and it can be treated, possibly more chemo. just be there for your mom and help her thru the process. you are a wonderful daughter. i'm sure someone will be along to give you a more technical explanation.
Unread 05-19-2007, 08:05 AM

s Kienna,

I'm so sorry you have this worry about your mom. What makes the doctors think her cancer is back?

Many women here have gone through several rounds of chemo to keep their cancer under control. If mom is indeed having a recurrance, there are several treatment options for her.

Let us know what's going on. in there, I know how hard this is on the patients family....I sometimes think it's harder on the family then it is on the patient.

xoxo
k9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2007, 09:07 AM

HI Kienna - I'm not able to give you technical medical advice about how the cancer recurs, but I wanted to give you a big HUG for being there for your Mom and just remind you that she's been thru this battle before and can get through this again - especially with a supportive family like you! Try not to fret too much while you get the details - we're here for you and your Mom as you learn more.
Unread 05-19-2007, 09:13 AM

I know how you feel. I lost my mom to this disease (I want to make it clear that her disease was very severe when it was discovered).

6 months after mom died my mother in law was diagnosed.

Ovarian cancer can reoccur and nogreatmischief was correct in her definition. I never knew this until mom was diagnosed.

The good thing is that your mom would still be considered platinum responsive and she could be given the same chemo that she was given before and she could go into remission again! And this time they may get it for good!!

I know how hard it is to see your mom go through this. Hang in there.
Unread 05-19-2007, 10:51 AM

Hi, thanx for the answers n support. I was up all night researching what I can and I think I am getting it now. Like there was still cells left somewhere, so when they said she was cancer free, most likely she wasn't completely. I wonder why they say things that they probably can't be sure of?

I haven't been able to talk to my mom too much since she told me yesterday because partly I am afraid to upset her and partly I think I didn't really want to hear it maybe. I do now though cause I want to know the best way that I can help her.

Cancer is so ugly.....I hate it so much. It took so much from my mom and almost took her from me and now Im scared it still might take her. I can't believe we'll have to go thru chemo again. There were some times that I thought that alone was going to be my mom's killer.

I just don't want to lose my mom....it's not fair
Unread 05-19-2007, 10:58 AM

Oh and I don't know how her doc knows its back for sure. I haven't seen my mom sick like she was the first time. The first time her belly swelled up and she was in and out of the hospital having it drained before they discovered it was cancer. None of that has happened this time.
Unread 05-19-2007, 11:00 AM

Oh and will it be a new stage and grade or does it become what it was the first time?
Unread 05-19-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kienna
Oh and will it be a new stage and grade or does it become what it was the first time?
hi kienna...i'm sorry i don't have an answer for you...i'm new at this as well. i have a daughter (27) and i appreciate when she talks to me about the cancer. she's in the biomedical field so she was able to sit down with me and explain the effects of the chemo with respect to the white blood cells, how they are eliminated around day 10 post-chemo and that's why i get so tired for a couple of days.

i don't like to bring up the subject myself as i feel it hurts my kids and husband to talk about the details; however, i don't mind if they bring it up. i'd like to be able to tell them that i'm scared too, but i find myself acting normal, which is not how i feel.

don't be afraid to talk to your mom...i'm sure she would like to share her true feelings with you. she's been thru this once so she knows what to expect. let's hope this time (if it is a recurrence) that the chemo gets it all. good luck.
Unread 05-19-2007, 11:42 AM

Oh, I looked at your birthday and it is not fair for a 15 year old to have to even think of something like this. I was 44 when my mom died and I still don't think it was fair.

I think it will be at least stage 3. I don't know where it reoccurred. They do CA125's and cat scans to monitor it. I am not sure about the grade.

My guess was that your mom was at least stage 3 in the first place with her symptoms. Usually you don't get the fluid until it is stage 3 but I am not sure.

She may have much less cancer now than she had initially. You have to be positive because I think that there may be a chance that she can be cured.

I remember thinking well, if I worry and she lives 20 more years (she was 69) then I will be worrying away a good part of my life.

The one piece of advice I can give you is to find the best gynocologic oncologist you can find. Go to a large cancer center and get second opinions. They know the latest and are involved more with clinical trials.

My mother in law is in remission and my husband is taking her to MD Andersen next week just to make sure there is nothing else she should be doing.

My mom had two oncologists, one just a regular oncologist and a gynocologic oncologist at the Cleveland Clinic and the difference was amazing.

I don't know how to add the fancy HUGS but if I did I would.

Also if you are interested in what my supplements my integrative doctor put my mother in law on IM me and I will call her and get the specifics.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register