Hysterectomy dates May 21-May 28,2007 - Page 12 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates May 21-May 28,2007 Hysterectomy dates May 21-May 28,2007

Unread 06-01-2007, 06:56 AM
11 days home from the castle...

LAVH/LSO (No ovaries, right removed during prior surgery) on May 21st and doing very well. The burning sensation goes away as the days pass...thankfully. I still can pee and think I'm done, and then pee again, and sometimes again, before I'm actually finished, but I'm drinking more water and juice then I used to, so maybe that's why, but the stinging while doing so has stopped.
My incisions are good...one had opened a bit and started to bleed, but one day of neosporin and a bandage and that stopped. The three sites are hard to the touch in the center, but that's normal, and they look pretty good.
I still have a large rectangle on my right thigh, where the nurse mistakenly put a latex bandage on me (I did disclose that I am allergic prior to surgery), and I can't seem to get rid of it...raised and red, like I've been branded, but no discomfort. Any ideas ladies on something I can put on it? My doc suggested caladryl, but that hasn't improved it at all.
I'm sleeping like the dead at night, with the help of ambien cr, and if I can grab a nap in the afternoon, I'm happy. That is my biggest complaint...I tire very easily. I can't wait to get my zip back!
HRT is working for me too...Vivelle Dot 0.05mg seems to be enough for me, at least for now. No symptoms of sudden menopause that I've noticed, and I figure I won't miss them if I got them, so I'm pleased.
The itchy has stopped for the most part too...just the occasional "twitchy" feeling, but it comes and goes and isn't too bothersome. Regular bms, preceeded with gas, but smooth and painfree. One exception to that, which you may want to take note of...do not, I repeat, do not eat diced/whole hot peppers while you are recovering from this surgery, unless of course, you don't mind fire flying out of you bum. I finally got to go out, took mom out to dinner to thank her for helping us so much the first week, went to my favorite restaurant, ordered my favorite dish, (calamari ricardo) loved every bite, came home and two hours later I thought I was going to die! Cramps, gas, funny churning noises, and then poof....FIRE IN THE HOLE! If you're desperate for a bm, this may be the way to go, again, if you don't mind a burning butt, otherwise I'd stay far away from the real spicy foods. (Nobody warned me!)
Oh yes...I'm driving now too, and I will say this. I was very excited to get the go ahead to do it, but it is not as easy as I thought it would be. Sudden stops, twisting too much, and simply sitting upright for any length of time in the car, has proven to be a bit of a challenge for me, and well, tiring. I drove myself to the doc last night, only a 25 minute drive, and I had a pulling sensation in all three incision sights, plus my insides. Not unbearable pain or anything, but I didn't like it. My body reminding me to be cautious, no doubt. Just go easy girls if you're going to venture out. 20 minutes in the food store practically put me on the couch the second I got home...tiring. It does not help that it was 96 degrees out to boot. I'm staying in today, and tomorrow, if that keeps up. I wouldn't know if I was having a hot flash or not in this kind of heat!
So, rest assured, the issues seems to subside as time goes by...maybe it does heal all wounds afterall. Some of you are having some tough issues, and I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there, it gets better!
Take care, be safe, and stay sane.
Susie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2007, 07:11 AM
Hysterectomy dates May 21-May 28,2007

Thanks guys, for letting me share about the clamping feeling while peeing. I'm headed to a pelvic sonogram (external ONLY!!) and kidney sonogram this afternoon. I'm not sure what it is we are ruling out. I'd rather this just go away and let me get better! Have a great day sisters!
Unread 06-01-2007, 09:16 AM

Update from my TAH/BSO on 05/21....still recovering nicely, but am getting a bit stircrazy from being upstairs. Have held of walking down to the main floor out of fear from exhaustion. Today I will finally get a chance to go down and take a little stroll outside. Pain is still there, but have tried to reduce the pain meds as much as possible as they seemed to cause migraines.

Only big side effect of not having ovaries seems to be night sweats. Have woken up the past three days drenched. My eyes have also become a bit dry, which I have been told is from lack of estrogen. May need to resort to eye drops at this stage.

All in all, I'm feeling good...not great, but good. Swelly belly is still there, but going down. Still can't zip my normal pants all the way, so am sticking to the looser clothes. Am anxious to get back into a reduced normal routine, but am taking it slow for fear of a rebound.

I hope all of you are doing well now that you have crossed over to the castle. Keep the faith!

Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2007, 09:29 AM

Had mine on Monday. I'm wondering about these white/translucent looking bandages on two of my wounds (belly button and right side)... the left side had just a regular bandaid and was gone the next day. I have no idea if I just leave them and hope they fall off one day - or was I supposed to remove them. I know I have real stitches underneath. And after two showers they don't look like they're going any time soon...
Any advice?
Unread 06-01-2007, 09:35 AM

It is my understanding that those bandages stay on until they "fall off". All of my stitches are internal, so my entire vertical (4-5 inch) incision is only held together by the translucent looking bandages. I was told that they would fall off and the very bottom one is starting to peel at the edges. Surgery was May 21st, so as you can see, they do not go "any time soon" as you inferred.
Unread 06-01-2007, 09:43 AM

Gumpette, so sorry to hear of all the complications....call the doc to see if you might have a UTI....remember you're not lost....we're all here with you! Glad to hear I'm not the only one with hunger pains all the time....then I just eat a little bit and feel full....but I'm still hungry, I think just for the taste of something good.....Just what we want is to be hungry, and snacking all the time when we're supposed to rest! Feel better, if you're reading anything great pass it on!
Unread 06-01-2007, 09:51 AM

Coming out of surgery I had a mesh-type bandage on top of my incision what was sutured on the inside, and glued on the outside. The hospital took that off the second day. But, I would not recommend taking an incision bandage off until you have gotten the ok from your doctor. I do know those with steri-strips need to keep them on until they fall off on their own. You should give your doc a call and get his word on what to do.

Kathy
Unread 06-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Week 1 down!

Hope I'm in the right place. Had my TAH on Thurs, May 24th and came home Sun, May 27th. Had to stay one extra night due to running a temp. Dr wasn't sure why I ran one, but had blood tests and a chest xray and everything checked out fine. I have to say, I'm feeling way better than expected. I'm getting around great and even cooked dinner last night. Didn't do any cleaning up but at least got some food to eat. I feel I was doing well with eating afterward and not going to crazy when I got the green light to eat. I ate a lot of good fiber and drank a lot of water. Had my first BM on Monday and it was a breeze. Also had my staples out that day too. Very excited to be feeling so well, but know that's it's still early in the recovery. Wednesday was my worst day feeling very sore but took a pain pill and tried to lay low. Five more weeks to go!
Unread 06-01-2007, 10:33 AM

I was given the advice of walking stairs up and down backwards. I think it's working for me as I don't seem as sore as I was from past surgeries. Maybe try that, very slowly when you get to that point. Best of luck!
Unread 06-01-2007, 10:47 AM
It's a new day

It does get better. I have no external stitches but have same slow standing approach. Glycerin suppositories were recommended yesterday for the lower bowel "exercizes"--I'm here to say it worked for me. $.99 at Rite Aid (on sale, 25 eaches) up to $2.99 for 30 eaches. They can work in as little as 15 min.
If you know your mind your body will tell you much. Mine said "get out" of the house. I've walked through the garden for the first few days, sat on the front porch so I could see people admiring the terriffic rose blooms I got this year. Yesterday I crashed out in the park right on the grass! It's been in the 90's already so this is not as unseemly as it may at first appear. I'm on day ten. I started walking for distance (6 blocks, bus, one block, rest at library, block to bus, 6 blocks home) on day six. Even with no external stiches this was too soon. I should have waited till day 8. The moral of this overly long story is that it seems impossible to forecast where one will be mentally on any given day. It was hard for me to listen to my physical being the first few days as it was being "non-cooperative". However, the two facets of body and mind are meshed, so one may needs listen to them both. I go with what I think, but, let my body have the final say. 49 yrs-old TVH

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register