Hysterectomy dates May 21-May 28,2007 - Page 28 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates May 21-May 28,2007 Hysterectomy dates May 21-May 28,2007

Unread 06-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Hysterectomy dates May 21-May 28,2007

Just wondering who still has steri strips on??? My surgery was May 23, & Dr. said he's like them to at least stay on 2 weeks. They are still hanging in there!!

Also, did anyone have a spinal instead of general anest.?? I tell ya' that's the way to go!!!!

And am I weird or what??? I haven't had any bedrest. I feel so much better than I did pre-surgery, that I just can't lay around. My Dr. didn't restrict me on stairs, so I've been doing that since my bathroom is upstairs, every since I came home. His advice on my activity was "you'll know". Wish he'd have explained that...I do have the "swelly belly" as soon as I'm up moving around, but isn't that normal for quite a while? Does it hurt anything to be up & around even with the swelly belly??

Gardening is my therapy, & he said my garden wouldn't suffer because of my hyster. DH TRIED to take care of it for a few days, but, bless his heart, just couldn't do it to suit me & he has other lawn responsibilities of his own on his mind.

Just interested in other princess' experiences.

Leopard fanatic
TAH/BSO
on Estradiol (my little blue "happy pill"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2007, 07:22 AM

Thanks for the explanation, troyryans3, about your incision infection. Sounds far worse than mine is/was and I am glad you have already contacted your doc. I was fastened together by staples, I think 37 of the little things. My hubby was quite uncomfortable with them and started making wise cracks about them rusting. When the nurse removed them at about day 9-10, I told her and without losing a beat, she said, no, they only rust in wise-cracking males. Bet she has heard that one before. Mine oozed only very slight amounts and I was just overly concerned I think. It is now nearly ceased entirely. It is healing pretty well I think. Itches like the dickens from time to time.

And (drumroll please), I slept well last night and I am simply thrilled. Amazing what a good night sleep can do for a frame of mind. Insomnia is hounding me all the time so this was a real treat.

I think today I will begin my walking program, starting with a mere five min.

Take care everyone and have a good Sunday.
Unread 06-10-2007, 07:26 AM

I would guess as long as you are having spotting. Not sure. I was blessed in that area since I had undergone menopause before my surgery, I have had no bledding whatsoever. I have been one happy camper about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2007, 07:33 AM

Insomnia: i've slept without any sleep aids (Ambien) for 2 nights now. WOW! I'm finally well-rested.

Driving: not doing any for a couple of more days. hurt me up under my rib cage and around my belly button. no thanks!

Work: i work from home and am starting back tomorrow. kinda scared but if i have to have more time off, i'll just have to work up the courage to ask for it. i may be able to sneak off for a short nap from time to time. i just have to see how it goes.

Infection: none for me. Thank God! My incision spots hurt a bit but it's bearable. no signs of infection.

Spotting: none. when i wipe, i see pink but that's about it.

overall, my recovery is going very well.
Unread 06-10-2007, 07:51 AM

Daffodil53 and Lavhmay2007, pass the sleepful nights my way, will you please? Haven't been able to sleep an entire evening yet except for the first night in the hospital, and one other evening after taking 2 vicodin (although the dreams were very, very strange!). Last night was up at 3, and not able to go to sleep until 5:30...even tried reading a very boring book about extinct species! LOL

Lavhmay2007, good luck with getting back into the work grind tomorrow. Working from home will make it a tad easier. I'm off until July 17th, and have remote access to my office work, so as soon as I feel more energetic, I'm going to start taking a peek at what has been going on. Take it slow and listen to your body.

On the antibiotics today for the incision infection...not happy about that. In regards to spotting, only had spotting my first two days from surgery, and very minimal. That surprises me a bit because I thought I would definitely have more. I have a closetful of supplies...may need to have a bonfire later in the summer once I am "in the clear".

Have a glorious Sunday...absolutely beautiful here in Michigan....
Unread 06-10-2007, 05:24 PM

Yo, wmac: I didn't need pads for spotting until several days out. My problem is that I have a clear, non-smelly but thick-ish discharge vaginally (no external incisions) that can be quite irratating. Wearing the thinnest of pads helps tremendously. Also notice abdominal swelling, as the exercise (read "chores") increases. Because of my financial situation (no insurance) I have been discharged by my doctor, so I don't have access. Anybody know what this discharge is? Thanks
Unread 06-10-2007, 05:51 PM

with regard to pain, where is most of your pain anyone?

since driving on Friday, I've been hurting in my upper abs, between ribcage areas. BAD!
Unread 06-10-2007, 06:16 PM

Jigme: Discharge could be a yeast infection from antibiotics if you were on any? I have heard too that some discharge is often to be expected. I haven't had any, so I am probably not the best to comment. Hopefully someone will have some ideas for you.

lavhmay2007: Most of my pain was all around my absominal area and alot was a result of gas making it's way through my system and the rest around the incision area and centered. NOW it is in the area where my ovaries used to be. I have read it is often because other organs are finding their new spot to be and also muscles and nerves that were cut during surgery itself just healing. Today I did some minor/light housework and overdid of course. And most of the resulting pain is not too bad in what I am assuming is the muscles of my sides. I have taken ibuprofen today and that has been sufficient. Tonight I will take a vicodin before bed.
Unread 06-10-2007, 06:24 PM

wmac: look at the hysterectomy checkpoints page for weeks 3-4 and you'll read about the discharge a lot like what you describe.
Unread 06-10-2007, 07:39 PM

Hello all,
I'm just dropping in to see how my friends are doing. First I was told by my MD that no baths until discharge has stopped for at least 3 days. Don't want to chance infection. I think I've driven to much or done a little to much of something I'm just not sure what. Everything is minimal. My discharge has turned a tad pinkish/red. I've been racking my brain what did I do. I've notice some cramping/uncomfortable feelings on the left side of my abdomen. I have been a little more active this weekend I thought I was being cautious but evidently not enough. I bought me some capri's on clearance at Wal-Mart to help with my swelly-belly. It looks pretty good in the am but huge in the pm. DH bought me a laptop so I don't sit at the computer desk to long. It's hard not too.

Hope all is well

Happy Day,
Cherrill
colposcopy,LEEP, LAVH, fibroids,endo, posterior repair 05/21/07

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register