Hysterectomy dates May 21-May 28,2007 - Page 29 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates May 21-May 28,2007 Hysterectomy dates May 21-May 28,2007

Unread 06-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Hysterectomy dates May 21-May 28,2007

I am new at this. Had abdominal hysterectomy on May 22nd. I am home and doing okay. Have had problems with my stomach muscles feeling very sore(feeling like I want to hold my stomach) fairly quickly after I start walking. Is that normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2007, 03:36 AM

Beireb, my surgery was the day before yours, and I have had the same soreness that you are listing. Today is 3 weeks post op, and at the end of the day my stomach is hurting. Some days are better than others, but for the most part I have been able to walk each day. But, if I overdo it in the slightest, the swelling goes up and the soreness is there. I've been trying to listen to my body and just take it slow. We live in a colonial, so taking the stairs each day (which I try to limit) has been an extra challenge. Compared to others I sometimes feel like a wimp because I am not doing as much it seems, at least in the way of activity. But, I am scared of a set-back - slow and easy is the course. Everyone is different.

At this stage our incisions are healing, and I believe at the 3-4 week post-op stage the internal stitches are starting to dissolve. Not sure if that adds to the pain, though.

I thought that by now the pain would have subsided, and although it has diminished somewhat, I am very tender to the touch. More than I thought I would be at this stage, but never having gone through this before, I have nothing to judge against.

Don't hestitate to contact your doctor and discuss any issues, including the pain, particularly if it continues without any relief. As each day goes by you should start to feel some improvement or change, but do take it slow and build up your strength.

Good luck....stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Kathy
Unread 06-11-2007, 03:45 AM

Lavhmay2007, most of my pain is above my incision, internally. Stomach is very sensitive to the touch...ouch! I've noticed the last couple of days that in the evening I have hurt under my rib cage and upper back, which seems a bit odd. I'm chalking it up to my body telling me I need some rest, since I have started to venture out a bit more on these days.

Thankfully there is such a thing as vicodin and motrin!

Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2007, 05:48 AM

Nerve damage?? I still have no feeling over most of my incision....NONE. The area around it (all the way up to my naval) has only like a sunburn feeling if I touch it but not normal sensations. While still in the hospital I asked the nurse and she said nerve damage and it may or may not come back....2 weeks later I have a stronger sunburn sensation but nothing in the incision area. Anybody else get this???

My only other problem is what I'm thinking may be my bladder. I have painful pressure before and while I go to the bathroom. Maybe because my bladder has been crushed by large fibroids for so long and now it has room????

Glad to hear everybody is doing well for the most part. If I go back and read from the beginning of the posts - we've all come a LONG way!
Unread 06-11-2007, 06:07 AM

I had my tah/bso on the 23rd of May. I too have terrible pressure before I go to the bathroom. My dr. told me that it is normal and will get better. I am starting to feel like it is, although slowly. I used to be so worried to pee, because i knew it would hurt! My skin around my incision feels "sunburned" too. I am having hot flashes every morning before i wake up. I am going to talk to my dr. today and see if she can prescribe the "vivelle dot" i have heard so much good about. any of you girls trying it? My estridiol pills make me nauseaus and headachy. Blahhhh. almost pregnant feeling. I also notice my bones "ache" too. anyone else or just me?
Unread 06-11-2007, 06:07 AM

Today is my 2 week hysterversary! And I'm feeling almost semi-human again!!

Had a great weekend - no more stuck in my house ALL DAY LONG!! Hubby drove us up to the country house we rent (1 hour drive) for a 24 hour visit... It was SO GOOD to get out! With a pillow between my swelly-belly and my seatbelt it was all good!! Did some groceries, made 3 meals (simple but still!) did dishes, short walks with the dog - finished setting up my gazebo thing so I can sit on the porch in the shade and look out at the lake and the bikers go by... Ahh... it was so good! And I really didn't feel my body telling me I was doing too much! Hooray!
Yesterday took it easy in the morning - but then when SHOPPING for a whole hour! needed some more loose pants - grr! and saw a very silly (stupid) movie - Knocked up! and laughing didn't hurt! Another hooray!... Then went out to dinner (tired of heating stuff up!) and I DROVE to the video store! it was only a 7 minute drive - but I wanted to know if I could - and I can - so hip-hip-hooray!... The pillow is the key though - because otherwise the seatbelt is right there on my boo-boo! I have to admit by the end of the video store I was really pooped - but a good pooped - not in pain (other than intenstinal which an ex-lax fixed overnight)...
No discharge, a little irritation at the incision where my belly-button is - that was fine until I started wearing clothes that fell there! Gonna go back to loosies until that gets cleared up.
Right incision looking good - albeit dry - does anyone use moisturizer or something on the scar? Stitches are still there...
Made it around my 2 blocks yesterday that I had trouble with on Friday... No pain this time... Gonna try for a bit further today.
So - so far so good - I hope you all are seeing daily improvements also!!! Please take a minute to let us know how you're doing!
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!! And I think I might really enjoy my last week off because I might be feeling almost completely normal by then but still not have to go back to work!!

Unread 06-11-2007, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beireb
I am new at this. Had abdominal hysterectomy on May 22nd. I am home and doing okay. Have had problems with my stomach muscles feeling very sore(feeling like I want to hold my stomach) fairly quickly after I start walking. Is that normal?
Yes - for me at least! Whenever I'd start walking I'd say "GRAVITY IS NOT MY FRIEND!"... I'd feel like it was pulling way more on my belly than anywhere else... It will slowly get better though. In the meantime I'd just hold my belly!
Unread 06-11-2007, 08:21 AM

beireb: ditto. i still hold my lower abs when walking or else i have pain there. also, i'm still walking pretty slowly. no quick movements.
Unread 06-11-2007, 08:33 AM

Hey Sisters
I'm glad to hear you all speak about the bladder pressure. I too, thought something was wrong because it hurts when I urinate. I'm glad to hear that it's not just me having this problem. I'm going to my post-op appt tomorrow. I have a lot of questions for her. Especially about when I can drive again. I am going stir crazy in the house. My mother was here to help out for 17 days and now I have no one to talk to. I don't know if my hormones are going out of whack but now I feel quite depressed. This is my first day home alone without the family around. Any ideas how I can keep my mind busy?
Unread 06-11-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetieD
Hey Sisters
I'm glad to hear you all speak about the bladder pressure. I too, thought something was wrong because it hurts when I urinate. I'm glad to hear that it's not just me having this problem. I'm going to my post-op appt tomorrow. I have a lot of questions for her. Especially about when I can drive again. I am going stir crazy in the house. My mother was here to help out for 17 days and now I have no one to talk to. I don't know if my hormones are going out of whack but now I feel quite depressed. This is my first day home alone without the family around. Any ideas how I can keep my mind busy?
Rent videos!! It's the only thing that has kept me sane! I also love reading but would fall asleep within minutes - and didn't have the concentration for puzzels... I watched the whole first season of 24... Plus a whole bunch others...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register