Hysterectomy dates May 21-May 28,2007 - Page 62 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates May 21-May 28,2007 Hysterectomy dates May 21-May 28,2007

Unread 06-29-2007, 07:20 AM
Hysterectomy dates May 21-May 28,2007

Sorry to hear that. Hang in there. We all care!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2007, 08:25 AM

Hey all, I am 5 weeks and 2 days today.

I also had a really challenging 5th week. Lots of abdominal pain but I am also walking multiple times everydayto get my strength back. I have been in the car as well so I am not surprised at hurting a little. I have actually dropped down on the couch during the day and slept this past week. That is odd because I have never slept during the day up until this past week. Maybe we are all tired because we are doing more. I just thought I'd verify that week 5 has been a tough one for me too and one that felt like a big back slide.

On the bright side, today I can happily say is the first day I woke up without belly or incision pain. I am still really sore in the muscle area above my belly cut (which is over my belly button) but other than that I feel ok. I decided to take the day off from doing my morning mile walk to enjoy a few pain free hours. I'll be sure to get out there this afternoon so I don't loose my momentum.

Lets hope getting into week 6 is the big turning point.
Unread 06-29-2007, 09:00 AM

JibberJabber....so sorry to hear about the vomiting and such. Had a bout with it myself last night, the nasuea that is, and it's rather unpleasant. I hope you start feeling better soon!
Kerr...I'm sorry to hear that you are still in pain. I've been following your posts, and being that I was in the same situation as you, I sympathize. I'm 38 years old and had my LAVH on May 21st. I had my left ovary removed during this procedure as well, and since I had my right one removed in 2004, I am in menopause. The decision to do this was based almost entirely on my pain levels. My doctor was seeing me in his office on a regular basis and my options were basically this....Lupron (medical menopause);Hysterectomy; or Ibupropen (800mg/2xday). The ladder was not working, I was taking narcotics that my gyn and pcp prescribed, even ended up in the hospital getting morphine (which by the way, worked, but not a way of life). I researched Lupron extensively and decided it was not for me (I was a smoker at the time), and I'd spoken to numerous women on that type of treatment, that simply said they weren't themselves anymore. I had suffered with depression in the past and didn't want to risk it. Bottom line was this...I was getting cysts on my ovaries on a regular basis, they were extremely painful, and each time they were removed (I had six different surgeries for this), they came back. The only way to deal with it was to remove the source (my hormone producing ovary). It worked for me. I'm on a low dose of hrt (Vivelle Dot 0.05mg) and so far, so good. My doctor informed me I may need to stay on hrt for about ten years. That's a long time, but there are reasons for it. There are also reasons to preserve your ovary if you can, but as you can see, that's not always an option.
I know I've rambled on quite a bit, but I did have a point. I know you're in a great amount of pain, and it seems as though no one is agreeing with you on removing it, but may I ask...what are they suggesting you do do about it other then come back in a month? Are you keeping a daily journal with a pain scale listing and writing down what meds you take and whether or not they were effective? Have you made yourself clear that this is interfering with your quality of life? Have you researched all that is entailed in losing your last ovary? (Eggs can be harvested for future pregnancy if desired). I don't know your situation, but these are all things to consider. If they want you to come back in a month, I suggest you start writing everything down and make a case. Do your research if you haven't already (you probably have) on the Great Ovary Debate. There is a link somewhere on this site. Don't give up...sucking it up is NOT AN OPTION. It can be frustrating, I know this. It took me a total of five years and six surgeries to get me here, but for me, I have no regrets (other then insisting my DH get a vasectomy only to end up getting my tubes tied six months later because of the adenomyosis...whoops...who knew??)
Of course, let us know about your test results too...there could be something treatable going on that is contributing to your pain. That might be a blessing in disguise! I do hope you feel better soon. I'm sorry for rambling on, but like I said, I've been there, done that. I didn't realize at the time how important it was for me to be proactive in my health care. These decisions should be yours as well as your doctors, not one sided by any means. If they know you are informed of all your options, risks, benefits, they should respect your decisions. If they don't, you may need some new docs.
Best of luck to you and all in your continued recovery. I'm just under six weeks post op myself and feeling great. Still get tired in the afternoon and still get swelly belly, but for the most part, I've got my life back. Yeah!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2007, 09:29 AM

JibberJabber, I am so sorry to hear of your yucky day. I hope by the time you get back on to read posts that youa re feeling better and are stronger. Hang in there and we are thinking about you!!
Unread 06-29-2007, 10:06 AM

I felt very wimpy last night as I took a Percocet pill after having a very tired and achy day. I feel as if I should be loads better by now and not deciding to take a pain pill. The pain I am feling is like needles in my swelly belly. Anyone else having this sesation???
Jen
Unread 06-29-2007, 11:07 AM

Yeah, I asked my doc about it and she said it was the nerves growing back. She said nerves grow back very, very slowly. I asekd her for another Rx for my narcotic pain killer because Iwas afraid to be without them and she did so without hesitation. And I have only taken one or two in the last 10 days. So taking a percocet is not a bad thing.
Unread 06-29-2007, 03:01 PM

kerr: I'm so sorry about your ovary pain. I can see both sides, GYN's don't like women on hormones any longer than they need be. My GYN said that the hormones produced do far more than they have realized in the past, that there are even cardiovascular benefits from the hormones produced. That's why that even with a cyst and that I'm 48, he opted to keep my one ovary. That said, something does need to be done, because pain is no fun and you need to find a solution that works! Good luck and keep us posted!

ann and jibber, sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather! Hope that you start to feel more up and better!

endo, good to see you on. Like you, I'm feeling pretty chipper. Other than the evening swelly I'm almost back to full speed ahead!

And, ladies, discouraged as we may get, a friend of mine today told me that it takes the body a good year to get over surgery. She told me to take it in stride when I get tired or swollen. Good words I would think. I think a lot of us just aren't used to running at full speed and it's humbling to say the least!

Let's hope week 6 finds us all in a better way! I'm just anxious to get the go ahead for activities and so on...

Here's to a great weekend for us all!
Unread 06-29-2007, 03:08 PM

Oh my gosh! I am having a down day too! Just felt lousy so decided to stay in bed. Oh, Jibber Jabber...nausea and vomiting? Reminds me of ME a couple of weeks ago! I feel for you! Hang in there and know that this too will pass. When I had nausea, I took Benadryl or Nyquil and just knocked myself out. This seemed to help. SweetieD - What is it with those shooting pains in our groins? I have those too! Must be part of the healing process but it sure catches ya off guard...OUCH! I am just achy all over down there. Wish it would get better soon. I still have swelling inside my bottom and I don't like that feeling. Here's hoping tommorrow is better for all of us. Love, Sally
Unread 06-29-2007, 03:42 PM

Hi all...I was on earlier today, and I'm back again. A little info to share.
After my shower today, my little "itch" that I had been treating with Vagisil turned into a full blown fire down below, so I took a peak. What a sight that was, squatting over my magnifying mirror, that thus far, has only been used to check for stray hairs growing on my chin. Anyway, I didn't see anything that would indicate a yeast infection, no discharge and no odor, but the entire area was red, raw, burning, and itchy. I called my gyn as soon as I got dressed and went to the office for an exam. Yep...it's a yeast infection, but apparently it's higher up then I can see, even with my violated mirror. Actually, she said it was a "very bad" yeast infection. Gee, since I've been self treating and trying to ignore it for the past 6 weeks, I guess it would be. It's common after surgery, as we all know, but I thought that I had dodged that bullet. Oh well, I tried.
So, onto the white gooey stuff I go. I'm upset that the applicator is the first thing going in since before surgery, and my DH is jealous.
Sorry, just trying to keep my humor about me with an itchy crouch. You all take care.
Unread 06-29-2007, 03:43 PM

Hi sweeties! Thanks for you kindness and you heart warming thoughts. Has been womiting the whole day, and also have started to have some red discharge again. Of course all the womiting has caused the bleeding. I don't like that at all.

DH came home earlier from work, has been wonderful and suporting and allthough it hasn't change a lot, it still is good to feel the love, you know.

If this doesn't change tomorrow, I will contact a doc to have a prescription of something to take the nausea away.

Thanks a lot for you care, it nearly made me cry to read it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register