My daughter's pap results | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My daughter's pap results My daughter's pap results

Unread 06-22-2001, 09:37 AM
My daughter's pap results

I had a hysterectomy last year in April and all of you were extremely helpful to me during the recovery period. I moved to FL two months after surgery and everything has been fine. I have a new problem I am looking for help with - or someone to tell me it's going to be all right! My 25 year old daughter just got a call from her Dr.'s office that her pap was positive for pre-cancerous cells. They told her she'd have to have a "Coloscopy" (I'm not sure that's exactly the right name). Her Dr., however, is about to go on maternity leave and referred my daughter to someone else. The new Dr. scheduled her for an appt. on August 1st. When she told me all of this, I was frightened but didn't want to frighten her as she seemed so calm about it. I am concerned that waiting 'til August 1st is a bad idea. I know her Dr. won't tell me anything because of her age and I don't want to alarm my daughter by telling her that she needs to get this done more quickly. Or honestly now, am I overreacting? Am I safe to assume that if her old Dr. thought it was urgent, she would have expressed that concern to the referral Dr.?
I've done nothing but cry since I got the call. Should I be worrying at this point? Should I call the Dr.? I feel so helpless this far away and I'm frightened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2001, 09:57 AM

Higgins,
I am 41 years old and have had only one normal pap smear my entire life. I too had pre-cancerous cells on my cervix. I have had several colposcopies and my Dr. never wanted me to wait long to have the actual procedure, it was always scheduled within a week or so of my pap results His line of thinking was although cervial cancer is a relatively slow growing cancer, why take chances? The abnormal cells are not going to get any better. I think August is a long time to wait. I personally would try to have the appointment changed or at the very least put on a waiting list in case of cancellation. I don't think you are overreacting, besides that the waiting part stinks! Good luck!
Sharon
Unread 06-22-2001, 10:23 AM

Hi there,

Your daughter is very lucky to have such a wonderful concerned mom!!!
I can't help you very much, but we have several ladies here who are very familiar with this and I am sure will be along throughout the day to give you some information.

I agree with Sharon though...I think she should try and get on a waiting list for a cancellation appointment. I am sure she could get in much quicker if she can do that. People cancel appt's all the time.

Will keep her in my thoughts and prayers for a good test result.
Try not to worry, I know its hard waiting though.

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2001, 10:35 AM

Hi Higgins,

I've had two bouts with pre-cancerous pap results. The first was in '89. That was taken care of with a cone biopsy. The second was in '99 and resulted in a hyst 14 months later.

Both times the colposcopy was done soon after the abnormal pap results came in... within 10 days. The time line for my last incidence was:

Nov 99 Abnormal pap results, colposcopy done w/in 10 days.
Feb 00 Repeat pap
Apr 00 Cone Biopsy
Jul 00 Repeat pap
Sept 00 Dr suggested hyst be done w/in 3 months.

My results kept coming back confusing..from moderate, to mild, to severe. The path report for the last pap said "unable to rule out hi-grade lesion". At that point he suggested a hyst since I was post menopausal and had already had 2 cones. If it were me I wouldn't want to wait until August for the colposcopy unless there is a good medical reason for the wait.

Should you be worried? Of course you're going to worry, it's your dtr. But I will tell you that pre-cancerous cervical conditions are supposed to be 100% curable....I've seen that all over the web. And it is often taken care of without a hyst.

Your dtr probably knows you are worried, even if you try not to show it. Why not tell her to call the new dr's office to find out what the probability is of a worse outcome by waiting until August?
Unread 06-22-2001, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the responses. As I'm sure all of you do, I love my daughter more than life. I miss both my children incredibly even though I was lucky enough to have met and married someone last year who took me this far away from them. He is a wonderful man but I do miss my kids and this situation is very hard for me. Anyway, I will call my dtr. tonight and encourage her to move the date earlier by asking for a call if there's a cancellation.
I am worried and believe me, she knows I am. I had to deal with the big "C" scare in 92 with my then 19 yr. old son when they discovered a large "brain tumor" they thought. Even though it was diagnosed to be a non-cancerous pituitary tumor by all 15 doctors who looked at his x-rays over 3 months, it turned out in the operating room to be a water-sack - kind of sinusitus, - (although I forget the longer actual name). So prayers and hope were on my side then and I can only pray once again that God is with me.
So I "been here, done this" once already.
Thank you all so much for the consoling thoughts and prayers. I already feel better and will keep you posted.
Unread 06-22-2001, 03:03 PM

Hi, Higgins!

How nice that you are seeking information for your daughter. I agree with everyone--if you can move up the appointment, why not? It will alleviate a lot of worries. I had precancerous cells in 1987. It was treated with a cone and D&C. Everything looked good for about 10 years when I started having problems again. I had a couple of freezings which seemed to take care of it until my most recent bout. My doctor also moves pretty quickly. Had a PAP in late Nov (had previously had normal PAPs every 3 months for 2 years), biopsy in Dec, LEEP in January, TAH in early Feb. There's a good chance they'll treat this as conservatively as possible since your daughter is so young. And she won't necessarily have ongoing problems with it--most women get treated for it once or twice and then they're fine. We just seem to be the exception to the rule. I wish your daughter well. Let us know how she does!
Unread 06-22-2001, 04:26 PM

Hello Higgins. I had 2 abnormal pap results come back recently but they could not see anything because of inflammation. So they wanted me to have a colposcopy. Tell your daughter to take either Motrin, Advil or Tylenol 2 hours before the test. It will help alot with the pain. Not there is much but, there is some. They could not thread the small pipette through my cervix and had to use and instrument to force it open. That hurt worst of all as I felt like my insides were being ripped out. Also I was sore as anything from infections. So if she is fine with no swelling and such she should have no problems. It is just intense cramping and the motrin, advil will help with that. Continue to take it for a few days after. She will be very sore for a few days and a brownish/coffie ground looking stuff may come out for a few days. Nothing to worry about. This procedure brought on my period.

As far as the results.. Mine came back as endometrial hyperplasia. So next they wanted to do a D&C as there was a possibility of cancer. I went and had this performed and the test results came back as atypical complex hyperplasia. Or pre-cancerous cells/cancer.

My gyno and from what I have read about this says... This is a very slow growing cancer. It can spread to the cervix and ovaries. So he is performing a hyster on me. Uterus and cervix both he will be taking. He is not sure on the ovaries yet but, I want them out.

Please do not worry about the final outcome. If she has a hyster like me then all of the cancer will be gone!

Hugs,

Michelle
Unread 06-22-2001, 10:25 PM

Hi Higgins, I can't stress enough that this is too long a wait. Is there any chance in changing the appt. to an earlier one. Even though Drs keep saying that cervical cancer is the slowest growing one, my experience tells me it is never safe to assume that. I dont want to scare you but mine was a fast one . My cells were pre cancerous and they were also aggressive and invasive. Is it possible for you daughter to talk to her Dr. again to find out a bit more info re : why the wait and what are the consequences in waiting. Tell your daughter to be informed , write down everything she is told and to ask questions. I hope this hasnt scared you but it is nothing to mess with. Much love to you and your daughter.
Unread 06-23-2001, 06:46 AM

I think that I would call and speak to the doctor....tell him your concern and your past medical history. That may be what will help to get her seen quicker.
I know how hard it is to deal with medical issues of our own, but then when they hit our children, it is twice as bad. Please know that I will keep her in my prayers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register