All these terms? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

All these terms? All these terms?

Unread 05-23-2007, 08:27 PM
All these terms?

this may sound really stupid, but all I was told by my doctor that he is taking everything. and after reading a few of the posts on these site it seems like their are many options.If you did not catch my first post short story: I have suffered from bad cramps and being doubled over every other two weeks with my period for about15 years.I also have had 4 seperate surgerys to have cists removed from my ovaries . Teo children later and tubes tied.I continued to try every birth control pill,shot and IUD which did not stop the cist.So here I am one week away from surgery. I am not quite sure if I understand the full extenet of removing everything......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2007, 08:36 PM
All these terms?

ASK! Ask what he wants to take...get him to list everything he's talking about, and ask why. Everybody has options, so don't let yourself be railroaded into a certain type of procedure if you don't fully understand it or aren't comfortable with it yet. Good luck, let us know.
Unread 05-23-2007, 08:44 PM
All these terms?

Hi scaredandonly30!

You say you have tried pills, shots, and an IUD and have had previous surgeries...but -- have you gotten second and third opinions in regards to surgery? Doing so might help your peace of mind even if you decide to proceed as your doctor recommends. If you are at all insecure about going forth with surgery, I think obtaining separate medical opinion(s) would be wise.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2007, 08:47 PM
All these terms?

When I asked him he told me both ovaries, uterus,tubes in his words he said "basically everything, A FULL HYSTERECTOMY" He said I will have to take hormone pills once a day. He is a very nice doctor and I have gotten a second opinion and that doctor agrees it needs to be done.I just don't like that he is not very thorough when he speaks . He also said to me that he does not want me to worry about every little ting which I tend to do. I don't know? I just want OUT OF PAIN!!!!!!!!!
Unread 05-24-2007, 06:00 AM
All these terms?

i'd definitely ask him the reasons he is taking everything. you might have some options there. its your body and you have the right to decide if you want everything removed. if i had stayed with my first gyn surgeon, he wouldve removed everything. his reason? "over 45, everything goes". i was 44 and he still felt that way. your dr might have very valid medical reasons why he wants everything removed. but if he doesnt, you should get another opinion. by getting a second opinion, i was able to keep my ovaries and cervix..and not have to worry about going into surgical menopause.
Unread 05-24-2007, 06:39 AM
All these terms?

I got a second opinion and that doctor is the one who had me try the IUD and it did not help.I was still in pain and still got cramps to the point I was doubled over.The whole thing is is that my ovaries continue to be found with cist on them and every time they do they have to be surgically removed because they just get biiger and don't go away. I guess alot of it on my part is fear. I don't want to live like this but I am scared of the surgery too.
For instance since lawst Thursday I have been in pain with my period sitting doubled over and unable to care for my kids.The advil and all these other drugs they have tried do not help with the pain so I feel like it is time to stop suffering. Thank you so much for your reply it does help
Unread 05-24-2007, 10:33 AM
All these terms?

Dear scaredandonly30,
I can totally relate to all the fear and anxiety you are feeling. I was the same way. I am currently 8 days post-op and overall, am feeling pretty good. I saw three different doctors over a period of 2 yrs before I was finally at peace with my decision to have surgery. I had an enlarged uterus due to many fibroids, anemia, and also adeno. My dr also wanted to take everything out. I was ok with that at first because I always thought that was just the way it was done. But, I too, started having questions so I asked and asked and asked. Fortunately, I have an excellent dr who is caring and could sense my apprehension, so the day before my surgery he called me THREE times to give me more info and help me make a good decision about what to take and what to leave. I decided to let him take the cervix, because I've had several polyps on it over the yrs and just didn't want to continue dealing with that. I've read that the cervix MIGHT play a part in sexual function, but my dr said that that is only true for a small percentage of women. He asked if I was aware of my cervix playing a part in orgasm for me. Since I had never heard of any such thing, he said I probably wasn't one of the few women that it does. If anything, my cervix always seemed to be in the way. I wonder if that's what hubby was always hitting in there!

Anyway, my doc also talked to me about the benefits of leaving the ovaries. Said that even after they are done producing hormones, they still can provide protection for your heart and bones. Since I have no one in my family with ovarian cancer, my dr and I decided to leave the ovaries.

You really are the only one who can make this decision for yourself. Take your time and get all the info you need. This site is an excellent site, but keep in mind that everybody's story is different and everyone's body will heal differently. I am a thin woman (5'3, 125 lbs) and my doc said that size does play a big part in surgery and recovery.

I wish you all the best with your decision.

jellybird
(42 years old)
Unread 05-24-2007, 10:52 AM
All these terms?

Dear jelybird,
Thank YOu so much. I know that it is what has to be done because it is my ovaries and my cervix. I have the same issues with the whole sex thing and my poor,patient husband is hoping this will help. Sometime I guess knowing that it is something that you can't go back on once it is done is what makes it scary. I have gone through surgery before when I was cut across my stomach to have a cist the size of a golf ball removed from my ovaries. I am also 5'3 and 125lbs and my doctor says since I do stay in shape that it may not be a hard recovery. My downfall is that I am a smoker and trying to figure out how to quit before I go and I only have 6 days until surgery. Well I will keep in touch and I am sure as the day gets closer everyone will hear of all of my crazy panic moments. Thanks for listening
Unread 05-24-2007, 10:57 AM
All these terms?

Hi Scared,

I too am a smoker and trying to quit. I talked to Dr. about starting Chantix and his advice was that I NOT quit before surgery as they knew I was a smoker when I had Lap on 4/13 and knew how I responded to the anesthesia. He didn't want the extra stress of quitting to affect my time in surgery. Bet that is the first time you'll ever hear a doc say keep smoking!! lol I would talk to your doc about it as well and see what he has to say.

Kendra
Unread 05-24-2007, 11:10 AM
All these terms?

Hi Trpl Latte,

Good Luck to you and best wishes. Yeah the whole smoking thing, I have smoked more in these last couple days then I ever had. I just can't imagine dealing with both. Are they going to put a patch on when your in the hospital?
Well stay strong and good luck, look forward to hearing about how well it all went

Catherine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register