Anyone on the same rollercoaster? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone on the same rollercoaster? Anyone on the same rollercoaster?

Unread 05-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Anyone on the same rollercoaster?

Anyone on the same pre-op emotional rollercoaster as I am? The ups and downs get to me. The downs come when a best friend just can't stop talking about her own problems at home... Look - it's me - I'm here and i have my own problems right now!
Or my husband who looks at the new nightie i bought yesterday for my hospital visit and says "it does look like something your mother would wear". Hey - it took me a long time to find one that i thought was half way decent. I can't help it if they all look like grandma's nightie. Its functional and I thought it was pretty. It takes so little to bring tears to my eyes as i approach my date. I think the ups come from coming here and sharing info and thoughts with you all... noone knows better about all the hidden anxiety!
So does it get better at all before D-Day... or is it just the same after???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2007, 11:15 AM

This might sound scary but this surgery will show you who your true friends are and which ones are your pretend to be your friend. Your true friends will be there for you and will sit there and listen to you. The pretend ones will only think about their own problems and say about how your surgery is going to effect them.
Unread 05-27-2007, 01:13 PM

Just do a Happy Dance it will all be over...I actually never even took a gown to the hospital, just my old ratty sick robe, you know the one, the one you can just wrap up and sleep in when you are sick ..complete with all the trappings of baby stains and all...and just wore it over my hospital gown..just wore my sweat suit down, my sweatsuit home..no one likes surgery, and just thinking about it can give you the heebie jeebies..but once it is over, it is done...good luck~!

lori aka jaboomer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2007, 03:27 PM

Lisa
Your date is a week ahead of mine and I'm feeling the same.
I don't normally wear nighties so I went out and bought 2 for hospital that I also thought were functional, we will have to wait and see. My mother even offered me one of her grandma nighties.
I am a wreck but constantly thinking I should not hog the conversation because everything I go to contribute at the moment seems to relate back to my upcomming op. Even little things like when someone offers me a coffee, I ask for decaf as I'm weening myself off caffeine before the op. Trying to go to the gym more, as I want to be as fit as possible before my op. Eating more vegetables as I want to be healthy before my op. Get the picture, if my friends hear me refer to my op once more they will probably scream.
Lets hope the next week moves quickly for you and you are supported through your emotions. Good luck!
Kerry
Unread 05-27-2007, 04:25 PM

I am so happy to hear that someone else is on an emotional roller coaster and its just not me! Its been horrible and I just wish I could get off this ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..andTessmakes3
Anyone on the same pre-op emotional rollercoaster as I am? The ups and downs get to me. The downs come when a best friend just can't stop talking about her own problems at home... Look - it's me - I'm here and i have my own problems right now!
Or my husband who looks at the new nightie i bought yesterday for my hospital visit and says "it does look like something your mother would wear". Hey - it took me a long time to find one that i thought was half way decent. I can't help it if they all look like grandma's nightie. Its functional and I thought it was pretty. It takes so little to bring tears to my eyes as i approach my date. I think the ups come from coming here and sharing info and thoughts with you all... noone knows better about all the hidden anxiety!
So does it get better at all before D-Day... or is it just the same after???
Unread 05-27-2007, 04:27 PM

Guys...I did the nightie buying and jama buying too. The first two nights I didn't wear my own stuff. I was miserable and tired, and peeing constantly and they wanted easy access to my wound, that it was so much easier to wear their gowns. (first day also had the catheter) We had a good plan. I wore two! I wore one over the other so that my butt crack would be covered while walking the halls. Gave me some discretion and modesty! The third morning I got a shower and put my jammies on. Baggy pants and short top. SO Comfy! I could walk the halls, etc. and the pants bottoms allowed for more comfortable sitting, sleeping positions. I wasted money on new slippers too. The hospital provided these handy slipper socks to wear, they had the scuff thingys on the bottom, and I never took them off!
Unread 05-27-2007, 04:52 PM

Hey Lisa, The roller coaster ride is definetly no fun.I am two days from surgery and the roller coaster just seems to get more hills everyday. For me I find it easier to just keep conversation short with those peolple who are driving me crazy.Right now I am at the point that no matter what someone says or does it bothers me, just to hear people breathing is annoying. I knowit is just my nerves and it will all be over soon. I jsut warned everyone that I am nervous,anxious adn crazy and unless you want to talk about the weather all day you may not want to call, sounds mean maybe but it is my sanity. Take it moment by moment and remind yourself as annoying as it all is they are just trying to help in the only way they know how. I will let you know in a few days or so if it goes away.
Unread 05-28-2007, 02:42 PM

Ok I have been feeling this way as well and was not sure what it was. DS#2 has been driving me up the wall. Not listening tuning me out and every little thing that he does BUGS me. I am drilling into both boys that they will need to pick up after themselves and listen to me when I come home. My oldest gets it but the youngest I am not so sure that he gets it. I want to talk to him I feel guilty about always yelling at both of the kids. What kinds of things can I say to them so they GET IT? Thanks for the help.
Unread 05-28-2007, 03:11 PM

Imddpearn, perhaps DS#2 is fighting feelings that he doesn't know how to express to you (with regard to your upcoming surgery). Maybe it is not about him not getting it...maybe he does get it and that's the real issue.

I have five boys (no girls). I can tell you that each one of them has reacted differently. Even though they vary in age from 26-8, and are obviously not all still at home, they still have all done or said something that has let me know that talking to them individually was my better way to handle things.

I have two that are extremely over-protective (and think they need to fly home); one who is very quiet but tends to come across like he is angry when something is bothering him; one who is only concerned about how it all is going to affect him for the summer; and still another who is just anxious about it all being over and me coming home okay.

Maybe others have something they could add. Perhaps you should just start a new thread on this topic to get more response. I don't know. Hope all works out.
Unread 05-28-2007, 04:06 PM

Thanks cc, I have not really had a one on one talk with him yet. But DH is always saying wait till your mom has her surgery. SO that could very well be is problem. Thanks I am going to start another thread.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register