Hysterectomy dates May 28-Jun 04,2007 - Page 18 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates May 28-Jun 04,2007 Hysterectomy dates May 28-Jun 04,2007

Unread 06-22-2007, 08:21 AM
Hysterectomy dates May 28-Jun 04,2007

I just read all the recent post op recovery posts. Interesting how everyone is doing differently. Today is my 3 week mark for TAH & bladder sling. My incision looks fine but I don't feel itching, pulling or anything yet. Should I? I still have to sleep with lots of pillows but I do sleep throughout the night, which I'm grateful. Can't tell yet if the bladder sling has worked. I go to the urologist and the ob/gyn next week, so I'm curious. The last time I went anywhere, I went to Sam's club and overdid it. Too much walking, just wanted to sit down. Also, my stomach above my incision is still so swollen. Is that normal? It's getting aggravating b/c I still have to wear loose clothing. I think it shouldn't be so swollen at this point. I hope I'm ready to go back to work in 3 weeks. Sounds so scary to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2007, 11:11 AM
Loose clothes

Hey CJ,,Somethings I can wear, some I can't. I have found that using the ice pack still is helping. Just a couple times a day seems to be helping. I'm doing pretty good just very tired. Be glad you aren't having burning and pulling. I think that was the worst part of my first few weeks of recovery. I just wish I could get my energy level back. Maybe I will try the slim fast again. I was really energetic on that and 20 pounds wouldn't hurt me. We'll see. good luck to you.
Unread 06-22-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoBrandy
I have been back to work to work 2 days now full-time and I think it is WAY too much!! I feel terrible today!! Tired irritable and sad and sore!!
It doesn't help that DH feels that since I am back at work I am back to normal, so I am coming home and overdoing it even more because there is no help. I am so sore and tired that I feel like I just want to breakdown, but I am told to suck it up because he has to work all day too!!
UGH!! I am sorry but I had to vent and let some of it. Thanks for listening.

Echo
You need to let the people in your life know that you're still not up to par and they need to suck it up and realize that they still need to help you or you could hurt yourself and have even more down time where they will have no choice but to wait on you hand and foot. If they won't help, go on strike and just take care of you. I hope things get better for you soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2007, 12:33 PM
another step closer

I feel like i'm another step closer to being the old me again. Well as close to it as I can, but hopefully better . I tried sex last night for the first time since surgery. (surgery was june 1) My doctor had cleared me of the restriction and I was worried that my body wouldn't react the same. I'm not sure how much of it was an actual sex drive or curiousity? Anyway it went well. I didn't notice any difference in my bodies reaction and was pain free . I think it will be even better next time because I won't have any of the surgery worries (will it hurt me, will my body work etc). Later during pillow talk, my husband and I although sad that our pregnancy years came to an early end, were able to unanimously agree that WOW!!! we love to be able to enjoy each other without the interuption of reaching for a condom or the temptation to take our chances during times when we weren't ready for a pregnancy. We also had the realization that we will have 365 days a year to be intimate without mother nature interrupting us each month. When I finally was drifting off to sleep, I did feel a wave of sadness knowing that it's now impossible to get pregnant. It's amazing how our emotions can change from one moment to the next. Today my belly feels a little sore but i'm taking it easy.
Unread 06-22-2007, 05:23 PM

Yes yes yes............I am to old to have any more children, two is enough, and when I found out what caused it DH got fixed....... You must look at all the pros and cons to a hyster........the one I forgot totally about is I can NEVER use its "that time of the month" as an excuse...........No wonder hubby has been so good to me!!! He thinks he's getting it 365 days of the year!!!!!!!!!! All I have left is "I have a headache"!!.....

Should of looked into this hyster thing a little further..................lol

Feeling a lot better this week........I'm getting stronger..

Oceanmist
Unread 06-22-2007, 06:10 PM

Echo,
You have to tell the people around you (at work and home) that you are not 100%! If you continue to overdo, you're going to back on the couch with the rest of us. Tell, don't ask, DH exactly what you need him to do. Since men don't know all that we do, they don't know how to anticipate our needs. Be direct. I need you to clean the kitchen and do the dishes after dinner so I can rest...I need you to pick up dinner on your way home...I need to take 1/2 hour nap, so please keep the kids occuppied and quiet.... As wonderful as men are, they don't always know how to help or how much help we need. It' good to see that at least one of us is off the couch, but don't let others push back your recovery.

Be sure to keep your boss informed too. I would actually let them know that you're having more pain and are exhausted and explain that you may need to rest during the day or else you'll be so wiped out that you'll end up calling in sick. People are more receptive to helping you if they know that you're doing your best, but that isn't what it was prior to the surgery.

If possible, also find ways to be good to yourself. If your kids are in day-care, can you pick them up a little later so you can grab a quick nap? Even a catnap can help re-energize you.

Know that we're thinking of you & sending hugs,
J
Unread 06-22-2007, 09:33 PM

Hi everyone, I had my surgery on 5/31 and so far I'm doing find. The worst day for me was waking up in recovery but due to the pain medicines they were giving me it all helped out just fine. The second day I walked on my own and from there continued to walk to improve progress and also to go home to rest in my own bed. Due to this website I was able to ask many questions before hand and also to read messages that helped me a great deal, this way I knew what to expect before and after my surgery. Thanks to everyone. I'm so, so glad that I had the surgery and feel so much better. Also, I want to remind those ladies in waiting that not knowing the unknown was the worst but knowing in the end that you and your body will feel so much better makes a huge difference. Trust your instincts and do what's needed. Next week I go for my 4 week checkup and so far so good so please cross your fingers, keep me in your prayers and let's hold hands and continue to support each other. Again, I'm so glad to have run across this website and will keep everyone updated.

Signed, a Friend forLife
Unread 06-23-2007, 04:51 AM
Glad you are doing well

Had TAH on May 29th. Have had my ups and downs. The best advice I can give anyone is get off the pain meds ASAP. I think they just mess you up even more. Seems like they depressed me more than anything. Did of course take the edge of the pain. I'm sticking to the non-narcotics. This web site is great. Together we will all get through this.
Take care
Kim
Unread 06-23-2007, 10:51 AM

Glad to hear so many positive things going on out there. I too am concerned about the abdominal swelling. My doc said it will last 1 month. I am thinking longer since my surgery was may 31. I dont know if the whole hemorrhage thing had anything to do with it or not. Go to Dr. again on Wed. Still doing blood counts on me. Iron is helping the energy! Anyone else have steri strips for LAVH? Dr. said the should fall off in 1-2 wks. Mine are still there so I pulled one off and it pulled the stitch out and the skin is opened. Think I should have left it alone. What have yours all done?
Unread 06-23-2007, 11:38 AM

I could never be back at work fulltime right now. I don't even want to visit work because the website said they might think it is time to go back, phone calls are good for now. I think it is best not to do too much even if you feel you can because your family does think that you are "all better" and might have less incentive to help out. We actually went camping for a few days and I probably did more than I should have but now that we're home I'm back to taking it easy. I still seem to be getting some kind of pain which I feel might be related to my bowels. I go to the doc. on Monday so we'll see. I had LAVH but they used the Dermabond and my cuts are basically healed. An open cut doesn't sound right so far post op. Better be careful with that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register